Dead Mailbox

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by arogronjomom, Dec 5, 2005.

?

If you were driving and hit someone's mailbox on the side of the road, would you stop and fess up?

1. Yes, I would stop and take responsibility for my actions.

99.0%
  2. No, I'd keep driving...unless someone saw me!

1.0%
  1. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

hey, all.

I know I don't post much, but I read the boards daily and feel like I know you all from your posts. So here goes:

My poll comes from our experience yesterday morning when someone hit our mailbox and kept going. Completely destroyed the post to bits. Hit the mailbox so hard it smashed their right turn signal and left white paint all over our mailbox. We live on N. Shiloh, which runs between Cornwallis and Cleveland School, which is a HUGELY traveled road. It's not the first time it's been hit, but the poor thing made it through the last two attacks. Anyway. I guess I am just ridiculously honest because I would have stopped. When I used to work in North Raleigh, I once scrapped someone's car in the office parking lot, left a note and ended up with my insurance paying for the damage. Of course, she tried to get the entire side of her van fixed when all I had done was scrape the paint, but that's another story! :roll:

Anyhoo. I was just curious about everyone else's opinion.....and, wanted to ask y'all to keep an eye out for that white vehicle with a damaged right side :wink:

Barbara

2. crownsjo

crownsjo Well-Known Member

Its the only moral thing to do is to fix what you break. No matter the cost. Some people just don`t have morals anymore.
    Maybe you might want to try to move your mailbox back farther off the road,it sounds like its to close to the road if it has been hit that many times. :)

3. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

Could this be treated as a "hit and run accident" by police? At least it would appear the individual that destroyed your mailbox could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Did you report the incident to Sheriff Department?

4. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

We've moved the box and post back from the road already. Any more and the mailman will be even more unhappy with us.

My husband called the Sheriff's office who told him that had it been hit with a bat it would fall in their jurisdiction but because it was a vehicle it had to be the State Police. They transferred him to the NC SHP but because we didn't have the plate number or witnesses there is nothing that can be done.

Since this road is so busy, I wonder if the person drives by frequently and if so, will he or she feel bad?

5. David

David Well-Known Member

Crappy thing, but I would get a warm fuzzy knowing they fucked up their car.

Unless it was one of those brick mailboxes that cost $texas, they are going to be paying.

6. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

There's one on Guy road that has been hit several times. The owner even bricked it up and it still got busted all to pieces.

...So then he got smart. He built two brick pillars about 8-10 inches high right about where someone's wheel would have to be in order to hit his mailbox. It's been a long time and it hasn't been hit yet, but the pillars have been hit. Someones front-end is screwed up bad! Ha Ha!

See ...that's what you get for being honest.

7. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

mailbox

We did stop when living in the mountains. My husband was pulling out of the daycare's drive way. A dump truck crossed the yellow line as he came around the curve so my husband pulled hard to the right and tore up the mailbox and the mirror on the truck. He pulled into the driveway again and talked to the people living there. We then went to Lowe's and bought a replacement mailbox for them. We're honest people and admit to the things we do wrong.

By the way, any destruction of a mailbox is a federal crime for interfering with the delivery of the mail!

8. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Well, funny this should be brought up, cause mine is dead too.

Had to have happened sometime today, as it was fine this AM. And whoever hit it, had to be flying, it's a Rubbermaid, and its totally wrecked.

Grrrrrr

9. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

I got one of those steel plate jobs from Lowe's and mounted it on a simple, steel post. Bats bounce off it, and when it gets hit, it just gets knocked over. I just take a sledge hammer and pound it back into the ground. Virtually indestructible!!!

Romeo likes this.
  10. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Nothing says "SUCKERSSS!" like mailbox that hits back!! :lol:

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Grief JS, people do have a long stretch on your road. :cry: :evil:

Romeo likes this.
  12. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

And I thought that this problem had just recently started!

13. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

i'm a weldor. don't hit mine

14. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I'm a chemist ...hit mine at your own risk.

15. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Mine is a steel post in concrete in the ground, with a cheap rubbermaid mailbox. If you hit the post, it would break a bat probably, or damage your car. And if you break the mailbox, it's like $10 to replace.

Auxie likes this.
  16. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

There is actually a federal standard as to how far the maolbox can be from the road/property edge. I know cause i researched it when moving my mailbox at my previous house from one side of the driveway to the other. Technically, even though you pay for the box and post, it is property of the usps. But, on the other hand, it could be a peach box with aa lid and it would still qualify. Stupid rules our government has come up with.
    And it wasn't me, i have a big black truck.

Auxie likes this.