Annoying expressions you would like to see the death of in 2007.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Quincy8Boy, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Guest

at the end of the day

a new way forward

2. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear the end of the widely used expression "killed by an SUV" "the SUV was out of control" and the similar phrases that go along with it - the 'SUV' didn't commit the crime/accident. . .the DRIVER of the SUV lost control, was drunk, speeding, fell asleep . . .and messed up - NOT the vehicle. Have you ever heard reports that say "The Camry rode up on the sidewalk, struck and killed 3 pedestrians?" Nope!

When newscasters word it as they do, it reminds me of the Stephen King movie - 'Maximum Overdrive' - based on his short story 'Trucks' - where vehicles-beginning with 18 wheelers developed evil minds of their own and started killing people.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

"It is what it is."

I am guilty of saying it though! :oops:

4. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

TROLL.........lol cleo one of your words.

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

friggin'

Why my 11 year old thinks this is any better than saying the F word, I'll never know, but I hope I never hear it again.

6. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Thank you, can't stand it either!

7. Tool Man

Tool Man Guest

Yo Dog...

8. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be, "Yo Dawg"? :-D

9. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

my bad

I was able to help a lot of students and my own children rid themselves of the "my bad" habit. Every time someone said it in class (or at home), I asked "Your bad what? Bad is an adjective and needs a noun with it." Then I waited for the wording to be changed. Most students realized quickly that saying "Oops, that was my fault", "I made a mistake", or just "Excuse me, I'm sorry" were more appropriate responses.

Hee Hee Hee! I met a former student at the store over the break, and we chatted on how the school year was going. She started to say "My bad," looked at me, and then said, "Excuse me, I forgot the noun." We laughed as she corrected herself.

10. blackbearz

blackbearz Well-Known Member

Annoying

I think that the term "biotch" has been way overdone.....its supposed to be a funny way of calling someone a Enlightened person.
    I do still enjoy the term "What up dog?" Not a fan of "what up biotch."

Pimpin is another word that bothers me....also bling bling.

11. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

The use of any form of the word Pimp...a pimp is a man keeping women in a form of slavery as prostitutes and selling their services to his customers. I had it when kids call each other that. Also when used as in "pimp my ride"...are they selling the car for sex?????

12. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Synergy <gag>
    "Robust" when used to describe anything having to do with computer operating systems, databases, etc. (John Dvorak and others have worn that one completely out!)

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unfortunately here is one that I heard again today: "that just made be barf a little into my mouth"

14. robo321

robo321 Well-Known Member

People who preface themselves by where they liveā€¦.. as if anyone cares!

15. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

That's my word too....I HATE it. Got onto the kids last night for saying it!

16. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

I agree with this one! Everyone in our house says it except me, and it drives me nuts.

17. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Foe Real Ya know

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

18. Clif

Clif Guest

Not that I like the phrase "my bad", and would like to see it banished, but not all sentence structure need be complete. Sometimes parts of a phrase are implied, and are accepted in general conversation. For example, if you asked me, "Where are you?", I would reply with, "At work". The phrase "at work" contains no subject, only a predicate. The subject is implied. If I were to reply, "I am at work.", that would be proper grammar, but is awkward in conversation.

In the case of "my bad", the subject is implied. One should properly say, "My bad mistake." However, since the phrase has become common, both the speaker and listener know what the implied subject is, there for it is unnecessary.

I do refer, however, to casual conversation. No one should use such communication techniques in formal communications.

19. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Good to know.

Yes, I'm guilty of it lately myself. It's been used as a brush-off and gets on my last nerve now.

Frogger

20. wolfcub

wolfcub Well-Known Member

K-Fed
    Kevin Federline
    Brittany Spears