HVAC repair

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Beezor, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

Can someone recommend a HVAC company to come out and repair this POS that Ashley Turner put in our house for the SECOND time since we've had it? What ticks me off is the guy already told us what the problem is and it's the same problem they fixed about 2 years ago on this unit that's only about 4 years old. Anyway.....any suggestions??

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We use Total Comfort. Called them Monday - they came out on Tuesday.

$105 to clean the burner...? DH handled it also said we could use a new thermostat and that he could do it for $180 but recommended we get one from Lowe's for $30 and do it our selves. ;)

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Arctic Air, they are right in Clayton, I know the owner very well, call Buddy at 796-4681 and see what he can do..........................tell him "Dawn" recommended him........................8)

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Chucks Heating, Cooling & refrigeration Co.

989-6865 (ask for Chuck)

(serves all of Johnston Co.)

I recommend this small family owned company to everyone... I used him a few years ago when June rolled around and my AC wouldn't work. I needed about $900 worth of work done, replacing all duct work under the house, maintenance on the unit, etc. I had no spare money at the time, however I was in the middle of refinancing the house and knew I was going to get some cash out of it. He worked with me, and I gave him an imprint of my AMEX card and he held it for 6 weeks until the re-finance went through and I was able to pay him. Then last May, the motor on the condensor or something like that went out on Memorial Day weekend. He came out on Memorial Day and did "something" to get it going as a temporary fix, and said they would come out later to replace it, with the approximate bill being about $400. We referred him to my in-laws that same week, and they spend about $600 on repairs and general maintenance to their unit. We never saw them come out and replace anything, we never got a bill, and the unit hasn't quit since. I don't know if we've been lucky and his temporary fix is still working, and he never billed us for the holiday trip out because we referred the inlaws to him. Or, did they come fix it and forgot to bill me... (knocking on my nice wood desk).. I can't imagine he'd forget to bill a major repair like that though. I'm just thinking he didn't bill us for the holiday trip out because of the referrel to DH's parents and the work he got there... and we've been lucky with the unit since. DH's parents did confer with a family member who is in the HVAC business but was out of the area, for the work that they had done and the $$ they paid.. and the family member said he couldn't have done the work himself any cheaper.

I like the man... very nice and spends time to show you the problem and explain things.

(I've had a reallly big drink and type as much as I chat when I drink.. sorry for the long post!!!)

:mrgreen:

CALL CHUCK!

5. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

We have used Stephenson Heating & Air in the past. Always been satisfied with them. Don't know their number right off hand but I do know they are on Shipwash Drive (off of Old Drug Store Rd).

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

total comfort 553-0266

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

8. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys. We ended up getting it done but are not happy w/ the price at all, it wasn't explained clearly before they got there, and we feel like we got 'double billed'. Oh well, live and learn, we know who not to use in the future, that is for sure! At least we have heat....I'm trying to look on the bright side.

9. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Did you get a HOW (Home Owners Warranty) when you bought the house? Check your closing papers, many people don't even know they have it. Any repairs carry a $100 deductable and that's all you pay. The HOW lasts for 10 years. Even if you've already paid the bill, you can get reimbursed.

10. Tool Man

Tool Man Guest

I just wanted to also put in a plug for Mike's Heating and Air. He's courteous, professional, and extremely knowledgable. He just did some work on our system and I'm really impressed.

Just wanted to pass this on since I looked here when trying to find someone to do the work.

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I second Buddy...my brother owns a construction company and Buddy does all his work for him (last I checked). He has also taken care of us. I will also say that I talked with a service guy with Biggs and he was so nice and helpful.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

PM'd ya Pirate! It's a small world.............................:cool:

13. NCGIRL

NCGIRL Well-Known Member

I also recommend Chuck with Chuck's Refrigeration, Heating, & A/C. Our A/C started dying on us yesterday afternoon. We called him and he came out last night and fixed the problem. He is very reasonable and one of the most honest and friendly people that I have had the pleasure to meet.

If you need help with your A/C this summer, I highly recommend Chuck. His # is 989-6865.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  14. FamilyOfFive

FamilyOfFive Well-Known Member

Firstly, I wanted to bump this thread in case anyone else is looking for HVAC advice. I did a search to find this thread last week and am glad I found it. I followed Dawn's (kdc1970) recommendation and had Artic Air come out and help us with our unit. (THANKS!)
    Buddy was extremely helpful and VERY reasonable. I would recommend him to anyone that needs their unit worked on. We will certainly call him again if we need HVAC work in the future.

Julie

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Very "cool"!! Thanks!!

16. stonecold

stonecold Guest

I used Stephenson's in Garner today. They came quick and were very honest

17. TYLER_W6

TYLER_W6 Guest

did good

u did good not calling chucks hes phreaking expensive and racist. just like to post about my experiance where i can. well if your interracial hell cut u a deal so far as ive just learned. if not, he'll call you racist and mentally insane until you have to throw him out of your house. see the other guys bill? $600 for general maintence!!! call oddjobbs or mikes or anyone else! there are nice people out htere who wont charge 110/lb for freon and 85 to hose off a unit.

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We've used Chucks and have recommended him to several others, and never heard a complaint about his work or his prices. Infact, he worked with me on a $900+ bill until I could pay him (about 6 weeks out). IIRC I also think he quoted me a price of $150-ish to do a yearly maintenance, I didn't feel that was outrageous either to keep the unit in good working condition.

:?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  19. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

He probably didn't pay his bill and now he's mad because Chuck is trying to collect.

20. seabee

seabee Guest

fired slackass employee maybe... holding a grudge