A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I used to make it from scratch.. but I found an alternative I like just as well as my own, and not heavy on the chili powder, cumin or overall HEAT. Easily adjustable to your own tastes...

In the grocery store.. wherever the canned tomatoes are.. someone has a canned chili mix, it's the diced tomatoes with all the spices.. I want to say Hunts.. but I could be wrong. It is one of the major brand names for canned tomatoes.

Anyways.. just add a can of your favorite chili beans (Bush's now has chili beans with varying degrees of heat), and a pound of browned ground beef, or ground turkey... Sometimes I add a little more chili powder, sometimes I don't.. depends on my mood. Directions are on the back of the can of tomatoes.

Good luck.... love to make a nice double batch of that on a cold day. One time last year we had some gound venison and used that.... it was yummy!

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't have a recipe per se, used to have one, but now I just kind of wing it on the spices so it's always a suprise!

[​IMG] Start out with about 2 lbs of good ground beef, brown & drain well (I add plenty of onions and garlic once the meet starts cooking well, you don't want it to absorb too much grease) Then get out your biggest pot, and add 2 large cans of tomatos ( I usually crush them by hand or you can buy them already crushed) 2 cans of plain tomato sauce, one or two cans of tomato paste, 4 cans of kidney beans, drained ( I usually do 2 light red kidney beans and 2 dark red kidney beans for color) Once it's all good and hot, start adding your spices, I use chili powder to taste, red pepper, black pepper, salt and a bit of brown sugar to cut the acid in the tomatos, sometimes I will add a little Worchestshire sauce too. It's a simple chili, but comes out very thick, not soupy, you could add more tomato sauce if you like it thinner. It's even better the next day!

Might just have to fix that for dinner!

I have a fantastic recipe for white chili too..............................

3. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

My son and I make chile together. No recipe, we just wing it based loosely on recipes I followed in the past. Somehow it always turns out great. The chip off the old block has a knack for cookin'

4. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I only make chili when DH is working nights. :mrgreen:

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL! That's a GOOD idea! I knew I was doing something wrong..................................................:mrgreen:

6. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Can we get a show of hands (or glasses) who's toasted about now since they have been home all day to drink it up?:mrgreen:

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

NOT ME!! But I'm just jealous! [​IMG]

8. kookookacho

lol... how many fingers am I holding up?

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I need a smiley that has a crystal ball...........................:lol:

10. nsanemom22

[​IMG] ...ummm 1. The... right pinky?! :lol:

11. Serendipity

Serendipity Guest

Snows A Blowin'

Snow days are much better when you get a lot of snow....

** Hot Chocolate with marshmallows
    *** Time in the cold attic digging out snow boots, hats, gloves and scarves
    **** Red Sleds & wax paper
    ***** Fire place with a rotation of wet gloves hung near to dry
    ******* Loss of cable and phone service so I can turn off my PC
    ******** Cold beer tucked in a mound of white snow at the top of the sled run... just the caps peeking out

Ahh... if we could just get a good snow....

12. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

Not me :-( LOL

13. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

Nothing in the house to drink. Didn't prepare very well this time:oops:

14. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Had to work today. Wish I could have stayed home but wasn't ment to be. Was kind of hoping I would get to come home early, but again.... Oh well, one more day and it is the weekend.

15. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Wasn't at the apartment all day, most of it. Not drinking either, but know others who were ;) . Back at work today. Ugh. Up comes the weekend. I have eternal unpacking to do..............................................

Frogger

16. kookookacho

ugh... I think I'm getting sick. :(

17. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

IT'S FRIDAY AFTERNOON PEOPLE!!!!! :mrgreen:

18. nsanemom22

[​IMG]

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member