Our Kobe dining experience

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BMWGypsy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. BMWGypsy

BMWGypsy Guest

Read the other posts here and the first thing I need to point out is we also had the waiter with the neck tattoo...and he was the highlight of our experience this past Thursday evening.

There were four of us in our party. Our two neighbors, my husband and me. We all had been very much looking forward to Kobe, since our favorite steakhouse up on Capital Blvd had closed months eariler.

I guess the tone of the evening was set when we waited at the bar and ordered drinks. Our neighbors wanted well (house standard) vodka and soda. They were out of well vodka. Rather than substituting the next level up, they were offered to buy top shelf Kettle One at $6.50 a glass (well is $4.50).

Next up, when we were shown to our table, we were offered 4 seats along the long side. We asked if we could take 4 seats around the corner to make conversation easier. At first, the hostess kept pointing to the 4 original seats offered with a dumbfounded look on her face. Once she understood what we were asking, then she basically told us we could only move to the wanted seats if they didn't seat anyone else at the table. There were only 2 more seats available at this table, so whether they were in the middle or on the end made no sense to us. We decided to make the request again to our waiter, who told us to go ahead and sit where we wanted (told you he was the highlight and, yes, as pointed out by someone else, the seating is *very* tight).

Next up, the vegetables. Like most Japanese steakhouses, they bring out zucchini and onions to prepare on the grill. We had a full table of 8 customers. Three of these people - my husband being the first - asked to have no onions. In the past, when my husband has made this request, the chef has asked for more zucchini to prepare. Not this guy. He divided up most of the zucchini amongst the three and served the rest of us mostly onions. We commented on this before he served up the mostly onions, but he "acted" like he didn't understand. We found this to be the case a lot during the evening. There may be a language barrier, but it seems far more pronounced at this particular location.

On to the main course. Our neighbors both ordered filet mignon and we ordered the Imperial Dinner (filet, chicken and shrimp for two). First, the shrimp was salad shrimp and smaller than the appetizer shrimp (never seen this before!). Next, the chicken was overcooked. Then the filets were all tough cuts and overcooked. However, the clincher to the bad dining experience was when the chef gave my husband and me the same portion of filet as he did to our neighbors. Completely wrong. They should have received what they ordered - a whole filet each.

When we complained to the manager, who happened to also be the bartender, he was completely rude. His response regarding my suggestion that he just substitute the next level up of vodka and not charge for it was "I can't; it's in the computer to charge for it." Regarding the food, he actually wanted to see the meats. Luckily, I had decided to keep my leftovers and could show him. When I asked if it looked medium rare (how we ordered it) or did it look well done to him, he had nothing to say. When my husband picked up a piece of chicken, squeezed it and it completely fell apart, he had nothing to say. Our neighbors, who spoke to the manager separately, had a similar experience.

In the end he offered us a 10% discount...that he applied only to our entrees. A whopping $4.50 off a $75+ each per couple tab. Basically, a slap in the face.

No, this isn't lack of training folks. This is lack of caring. What happened to the customer is always right?

We won't be going back. In fact, I want to report this lovely dining experience to the corporate office. Anyone know how to find that address? Google search isn't coming up with anything.

Yesterday, my husband and I tried Bonsai's for the first time. While you miss out on the "prepared in front of you" experience, the food and service were decent. It's not Kanki, but it's a far cry better than Kobe.

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Crap, that's to long to read right now, I'll read it tomorrow! :mrgreen:

3. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

It must be you beacuse the 2 times I have been there I never had any problems.

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Might it be you, because both times we've been there we've had ONLY problems. Is it possible that they had their ducks in order, fortuitously, when you were there? I'm reminded that a slowed clock is correct twice a day, but not for very long. Perhaps your attending coincided with their having it together....a happy accident..

I do not begrudge your dining there, and am glad to see that they were able to serve you what apparently pleased you.

For my money....Kobe in Clayton does not deserve a third chance. Bonsai is a much better choice.

5. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

easy Gwen.

All you hear about is the bad experiances everyone has lets hear some props every once in awhile.

have a blessed day.

6. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me where either of the 2 restaraunts are? We want to to take the kids so they can see the chefs cook the food like that. We tried Kanki the other night while in Raleigh area but it was a 1 1/2 hour wait!!! We left, we were STARVING....Since we live in Benson area, we were looking for one nearer to us.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Our experience at Bonsai is mixed (great food terrible service) they are both off of 70 with Bonsai in the same complex as Lowes foods but down at the other end near Bank of America. Bonsai does not cook at the table. The other is in the shopping center across the street from Walyworld.

8. blessed

Thanks alot!!!!

9. blessed

I forgot to ask.....how are the prices????

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

We have always gotten a good meal at Bonsai. We haven't been to the new Kobe. I find that Bonsai is a much better value for your money (based on the prices at the Kobe in Smithfield).

11. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Bonsai?

Is Bonsai a sit down restaurant or just take out?

12. MelloTofer

MelloTofer Well-Known Member

i've said this in another post somewhere..but oh well

if you're looking the show, go to those places, it is entertaining after all.

however...if you just like the food. you should really try hibatchi grill in dunn.

not only is it half the price (2 people eat for 18ish), it's the same food minus the fancy show. AND it's all you can eat. (shaweet) also they have 21309853275073 other food choices on their main buffet...with desert...salads...mm...now i'm hungry. i hope you're happy.

13. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

It is sit down as well. My hubby loves their sushi, especially the spider roll!

14. BMWGypsy

BMWGypsy Guest

FWIW, we went to Bonsai's around 3:30 in the afternoon. They weren't busy at all, so it's hard to comment on the service.

I can forgive some of what happened at Kobe, but to get bad food, bad preparation, bad service, and then be treated like I was trying to rip them off was just the limit. My neighbor reminded me, too, that the chef also kept scraping the cooked on crud from the grill and piling it up right in front of his plate. The chef was definitely green, but that's just gross.

And there is no excuse for the manager treating us the way he did.

I miss Sakura very much.

15. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

my daughter's bf works at Kobe. maybe i'll share some of your experiences with him.

16. BMWGypsy

BMWGypsy Guest

Would you ask him to provide a corporate mailing address, please? And, thank you.

17. well pleased

We went to Kobe at Clayton this past Sat. evening with a family group of 6 folks; (this was after the Wolfpack basketball victory over the Tar Holes!); the food and service was great.
    There was a great group at Kobe, lots of howling Pack fans!

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I've refrained from commenting thus far... we went to Kobe for the first time Sat. night. We only sat at the sushi bar, had a few sushi rolls and a beef appetizer between DH & myself. We just wanted sushi, and didn't have any intent to watch the show and eat a full dinner. Having been to Japanese Steak Houses from here to Boston and back again since about 1990, and really my first steakhouse experience was in 1985 at Bennihana's in Boston as a chef's class field trip in high school. From sitting at the sushi bar and watching the people that came and went, this certainly is "redneck teppanyaki" dining at it's finest. If you want.. dress up and go out for a nice dinner comparable to the money you're going to spend, go to Cary or you will probably be dissapointed, as others have pointed out. If you want dressed down, loud & obnoxious rednecks next to you... drop your small fortune at the Kobe in Clayton. I don't know the atmosphere at the one in Smithfield, but I would hope this is not the standard of Kobe steakhouses.

That being said, the sushi chef was very good, and the tempura lobster roll was to die for!

I would go back, but I know what to expect, and if I want a quieter dining experience, it won't be to Kobe in Clayton....

Maybe when Kaze opens at White Oak that will be a little more of an upscale atmosphere.

19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I really enjoy sitting at the sushi bar in the back and watching & chatting with the sushi chef. Bonsai is good, it's nice to have a variety to choose from in the area now.

20. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Kazi?

What's the timeline on that, Tassy?