$425 Van Tune-Up? YIKE!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Feb 6, 2007.

1. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

My minivan need a tune-up (spark plugs, filter, etc) and I called Smithfield's Ford garage about the price, and to my horror, they're asking for $425 to tune up my van! That's including labor.

Do you know any place that offer a tune-up service with low price?

2. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

My husband knew how to change spark plugs, but the problem is that his hands are too big to change it.

3. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I just paid $399 for my van too. (Kia) Everything was literally under the engine so it is just too hard to get to. I almost fainted! My husband just did our daughters car (Suzuki) for under $30! Makes me sick.

4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Well-Known Member

I previously had a FORD van, it will not get any cheaper. Prior to "getting rid of it", I had to pay over $500 just to get it to pass inspection. You need a cheap mechanic. Luckily my husband was able to find the information on the internet and he fixed it himself. We still had to consult our mechanic to get the codes reset etc. The dealership was going to charge us $1,500!!!!

5. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Dealer = Stealer!

People please remember this simple rhyme. Unless you car/truck/van still is under warranty - Do not go there for SERVICE... ever. Period.

Did you not give the dealer enough of youR HARD EARNED MONEY the day you drove off in their car?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  6. le

le Well-Known Member

Try Dave and Ritchie at Quality Auto - 771.2269.
    They are super nice guys that know their Fords, do great work and have very reasonable prices.

7. FrameMaMa

FrameMaMa Well-Known Member

That is why I am glad to be a woman mechanic.
    I have little hands and skinny arms.
    I can get into tight places like minivans.
    I had to do an tune up on many Ford, Chevy and Pontiac minivans, because no one else that I was working with could get thier hands in there!
    That quote is outrageous!
    PM me if you would like a quote from me.
    Just need year, make, model, engine size, and what you want done.

8. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

You go, Frame!!

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Frame's cool people. :mrgreen:

10. MelloTofer

MelloTofer Well-Known Member

i'm glad i have an easy access engine foreign car. :)

11. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

The Dealership is the worst place to go. They're set up to charge an OUTRAGEOUS hourly rate, since that is what they bill back to the manufacturer for warranty work.

On the other hand, might that price include changing a timing belt, or something that would tend to justify the amount?

Funny, but my '79 Caddy still has its original wires, as does Mrs. Oy's '92 Taurus with 188K miles. Never had problems with either.

Also, most newer cars come with platinum tipped plugs, which ought to be good for about 100K miles.

12. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Heheheh..... I put a new master cylinder on my '79 Caddy for $13 (AutoZone). Bench bled it right in the diveway, and had Mrs. Oy step on the brakes to bleed the lines.

13. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

On some mini vans, it helps to be able to jack the engine forward in order to access the back plugs. It isn't always because of hand size, it's because of location. I had a friend with a 85 Firebird, and to get to a couple of the plugs, you had to go through the wheelwell. On the newer Ford V-8's, the fuel injection lines run over the top of the plugs. Also, newer cars are using platium plugs and not copper core. They're more expensive. On a $400.00 tune up, over $300.00 is labor.

Mike