School Answering Machine

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Feb 12, 2007.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is true or not but was too cute not to pass along:lol:

SCHOOL ANSWERING MACHINE
    This is the message that the Pacific Palisades High School (California) staff voted unanimously to record on their school telephone answering machine. This is the actual answering machine message for the school. This came about because they implemented a policy requiring students and parents to be responsible for their children's absences and missing homework. The school and teachers are being sued by parents who want " children's failing grades changed to passing grades - even though those children were absent 15- 30 times during the semester and did not complete enough schoolwork to pass their classes.

The outgoing message:
    "Hello! You have reached the automated answering service of your school. In order to assist you in connecting to the right staff member, please listen to all the options before making a selection:
    * To lie about why your child is absent - Press 1
    * To make excuses ;for why your child did not do his work- Press 2
    * To complain about what we do - Press 3
    * To swear at staff members - Press 4
    * To ask why you didn't get information that was already enclosed in
    your newsletter and several flyers mailed to you - Press 5
    * If you want us to raise your child - Press 6
    * If you want to reach out and touch, slap or hit someone -Press 7
    * To request another teacher, for the third time this year -Press 8
    * To complain about bus transportation n - Press 9
    * To complain about school lunches - Press 0
    * If you realize this is the real world and your child must be accountable and responsible for his/her own behavior, class work, homework and that it's not the teachers' fault for your child's lack of effort - Hang up and have a nice day!
    *If you want this in Spanish, you must be in the wrong country.

2. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

Cant be true...not in Cali. They are afraid to offend anyone so no way they would tell the Mexicans they are in the wrong country.

Maybe in Alabama.

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

True, hadn't thought about that:lol:

4. Clif

Clif Guest

I'll just sit here patiently and wait for someone to spoil the humour by pasting the snopes link.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Why start now Clif...you know it's killing to not post it.

Craig

6. CrzyForBaseball

CrzyForBaseball Well-Known Member

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Actually i am pretty sure it is in there but didn't waste the time looking it up, figured you would have posted it by now:lol:

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I guess we're not smart enough to figure out it was a joke unless someone posts the snopes link!

[​IMG]

9. tawiii

tawiii Guest

God forbid the Snopes website ever going down. That will be a long day for some.

10. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty cool....LOLOLOL I think more schools should do it. I have kids in school so I can say that. While there are plenty of legitimate reasons parents call, you have to admit that alot of the calls are petty and rediculous. If alot of things were ok for us and our parents when we were kids, it would not kill us or our kids to have to just cope with some things. Sure, times are different now, but I think alot of people go overboard at times. Just my humble opinion............

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Note to self: Be sure to post THIS IS A JOKE at the top of all joke posts from now on to keep some people's panties from getting in a wad:lol::lol:

Little smilie in header is not sufficient;)

12. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I think it's a funny message, and I can certainly sympathize with people who have to field stupid phone calls at work. BTDT. But it would be just as funny without the assurances that it is true. If it started out "Wouldn't it be funny if ... " instead of "This is the actual answering machine message for the school" it would still be just as funny, and maybe no one would feel obligated to put up the Snopes link. ;)

13. KDsGrandma

Yeah, that's what I meant to say! You posted this while I was typing the other (and getting distracted by a hungry cat, so it took a long time to type a short post.) ;)

14. Clif

Clif Guest

Apparently I also need to preface my attempts at humour with (JUST KIDDING)

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Nah Clif, we know you are always just kidding:lol:

16. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

My panties didn't get in a wad......But it would be funny as some of the stuff really happens. I was just making a comment. Is there any reason why I am taken so seriously?

17. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

I would love it if Johnston County adopted that as a true msg on all county schools' systems. VERY much needed!! Maybe the Super should read it...

Frogger

18. KDsGrandma

I doubt you would be happy to hear that message, if you called the school with a real problem. I do understand your frustration, though, with some people who think everything is somebody else's fault.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  19. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Good point...

20. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Just got this in an email from a friend. It's now an "Australian" answering machine message.

Obviously a parody, but still funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aQtE1-6J6A

Recorded message starts in about 30 seconds.