Help Concerned parent!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by one2manycjones, Apr 9, 2007.

1. My daughter visited Wake Pediatric Denistry today has anybody else had a terrible experience? My daughter came out pale as a ghost and when I got into the car to ask her was she ok she began crying and saying that in the play area the dentist covered her mouth and lips got into her face and told her to shut up because she called her mommy. He then put her into what he told her was a sound proof room and she could scream all she wanted. She doesn't make up things and is a well behaved child she probly just got scared. He also wouldn't let her see me she said untill she calmed down. She also told us she was held down in a chair and yelled the whole time for me to help her. I know she wouldn't lie because she couldn't understand why I didn't come and was upset with me. I filled a report with the Garner police department but don't know what good will come of it. Can anyone help me what should I do next? Has anyone else had this happen? Heard stories of it? Is there a dentistry board to call? I don't want any parent to go through what my daughter did or be heartbroken that they couldn't come to their child pleading for them. I had the receptionist go check on her several times. I feel awfull enough I let them take her back. But also felt like ok she is getting older I need to let go some. This office doesn't allow parents back. They lied to me over and over when I had someone check on her. What should I do next. I can't believe an adult could tramatize a child like this!!!:evil: :cry:

2. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Well-Known Member

Is that the one at White Oak?

Just wondering....I was thinking of taking my kids there.

3. yes this is located in white oak, 100 health drive in garner

4. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

First of all let me say how sorry I am for you and your daughter. I also presently don't know what you can do about it but I believe I have heard a few things about the office you are talking about. Do they have offices in Garner and North Raleigh? If this is the same one, my friend's child told her that they told her to shut up when she was crying at an appointment. Another aquaintance told me they restrained her child without her permission(which is against the law). I am going to ask around and will post if I find out anything. Again, I am so sorry. I know thinking about that must be killing you.

5. CheerBearNc

CheerBearNc Guest

I took my 2 year old to one and they said we could not go back there with him so I let him go back and I too asked about him and they said everything is fine. My son came out with his eyes glazed over and his face looked like he was balling. His hands had scratches on them and they said they had to strap his hands down and when I asked why he was sweating they said they had held him down with a blanket . I was so shocked. I took my son and when we got in the car he did not say a word. I asked what happened and he did not say anything and about 15 minutes went by and he let out a HUGE cry and said I called you mommy and you did not come. He was soooo upset. I felt like the WORST mother in the world. My poor baby. I asked and they said everything was going well. To top it off, the dentist screwed up his tooth and when he ate pasta or anything with tomato sauce the tooth they worked on turned orange.I know what you are going through and I am soo sorry. I will however recommend a WONDERFUL denist. Clayton Pediatric dentistry. It is in downtown Clayton and he is AMAZING!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  6. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Really glad to hear that. My kids have appointments there later!

7. CheerBearNc

CheerBearNc Guest

Dr Lindyni, I think is how it is spelled is great. My kids LOVE going to the dentist now

8. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  9. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to my daughter when she was 6. We were at Dr.
    Swarr office in Raleigh and he did the same thing to her. When she came out she vomited in the office waiting room, and that is when another child told me what had happened. Her held her down with blankets and poked her hand with the thing that scrapes you teeth. He also covered her mouth with his hand leaving a bruise on her lips.

I contacted the police and was told that I needed to file a report with the dentist's license bureau. I did but nothing really came out of it except he did write a letter of apology to us. Total bull crap if you ask me. After that I would never let her go back by herself.

I hope your child is ok

twitch

10. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but if this happened to my child, I would be on every news channel I could get to listen and I wouldn't stop til this guy was out of business and in jail. That is assault, and those poor kids will be traumatized forever from going to the dentist. Dr. Sims all the way!! You can go back with your child. There are too many pervs in this world for me to send my kid back in an office with someone I don't know well and me not be there. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Let us know what the police say.

11. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Call Monica

contact 5 on your side

12. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

How horrible! A friend had a similar experience with a dentist in Cary or Raleigh. I cannot recall who nor the end result as I know she did report the dentist to the board.

I take my children to Dr. Dan Howell in Cary. He is well worth the drive!! Parents are always welcome to stay with their children and are treated with respect. If a child cries during a procedure Dr. Dan will gently ask him to cry quietly but tells him it is okay to cry. My children love going to see Dr. Dan.

13. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

OK. Something needs to happen to this practice. I cannot believe that it hasn't yet. We removed our 3 boys from that practice because Dr. Horowitz (yes, I'm naming names) yells at the kids (although he never yelled at mine) and also because he made some big mistakes with my oldest. We moved him to Dr. Riccobene's office when he got too old to take to a pediatric dentist. When they did the exam and looked at his prior films (from 6 months before at Horowitz's office) they saw that the sealants on his back teeth had cracked and he had 10 (!!!!!!!!!) cavities. They were visible on the last films that Dr. Horowitz did (which means he did nothing and could have kept it from getting worse) and had been there "Lord knows how long". He is 18 and had never had a cavity. After insurance, this cost us $350. I called the office and promptly removed my other 2 boys and they all go to Riccobene now. His office is awesome. I am very sorry for your child's experience. That is so not fair to put a child through that. DO NOT feel guilty though. You had no way of knowing. We can only trust each other to get the word out. I have told everyone I know (and even some that I do not know but heard talking about dentists at the ball field) to find another dentist. Some have listened. Some have not. I will pass your story on to them.

Also, my 2 youngest are 8 and 11 and I was INVITED to go back with them at Riccobene's office...no secrets there.

14. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

I would be at the NC Dental Board's office in person & I would file every form they had. Grrrrrrrr!!!

The purpose of the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners is to ensure that the dental profession merit and receive the confidence of the public and that only qualified persons be permitted to practice dentistry and dental hygiene in the state of North Carolina.
    http://www.ncdentalboard.org/
    >Clip> We recently relocated our offices. Effective December 20, 2006 our new address is:

507 Airport Boulevard, Suite 105
    Morrisville, NC 27560-8200

and file a complaint with the NC Dental Hygentists Assoc. too
    <Clip>www.ncdha.org
    Thank you for your interest in the North Carolina Dental Hygiene Association, you may reach us by the following methods. We look forward to helping, or answering any questions you may have.

Mailing Address: NCDHA
    PO Box 20875
    Raleigh, NC 27619

Email: info@ncdha.org

Phone: (919) 510-0944

Fax : (919) 782-9470

In NC all (99%) of the medical professions have a trade association and a State Licensure Board and some even have a National Credentialing Board.
    Contact all 3! Dentists, Hygentists, and even the 3rd level Dental Assistants.
    I would also contact the NEWS - say TV5.

-Kel

PS: Are there more than 10 typos? Yes.. Augh! I'm Mad.

15. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

I second Dr. Dan. My daughter has had a rough time with dentists all her life, and it took a long time to find one who would work with us. You can go into the treatment room with the child, and they will even use nitrous which really helps calm the child. (insurance probably won't cover it though).

16. Thanks for all the replies if any of you have a story with this doctor please email me personally at one2manycjones@aol.com I am turning them over to the sargent. I am determined another child shouldn't go through this!! He didn't even give her an antibotic and she had an abssesed tooth pulled!!
    She is in alot of pain tonight and is clinging to my every move.
    I will call some of these dentists you all have listed in the morning to see if they can at least get her in to look at the hole in her mouth and make sure it was done correctly.. Parents we can make a difference!! I will also call the other places you all have listed.

17. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

I have emailed my previous response to you....good luck

18. Can you all believe that someone just emailed me personally and said I was lieing and shouldn't post things like that on the internet because they had taken their child there and couldn' believe it wow talk about open your eyes lady!!! I'm not out there trying to hurt anyone!!

19. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I too have been using them for 8 years and just made an appointment for my 2 year old. Being the room is so open other kids had to witness it, as well as several hygentists. I wonder if you could get the police to question other kids or staff that were there??

My son was scared to death as a little guy and they would make his appointments at lunch (when they were closed) so I could go back with him without other moms wanting to do the same. We have had no problems.

I will ask my 10 year old (who just went last week) if he has seen anything questionable...

I am sorry, I know you have to be distraught. Good luck getting to the bottom of it.

20. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

me again

Ok just talked to my 10 year old. He said the staff is always laughing and joking around. They have always been really nice and good with the kids etc... when I asked him if he had ANY reason to NOT want his baby brother to go he said no....

So maybe we have been lucky, but he has been there since he was 2 and he is still happy with them. (well as happy as any kid will be about going to the dentist.)

I hope you get answers.