Help Concerned parent!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by one2manycjones, Apr 9, 2007.

1. CheerBearNc

CheerBearNc Guest

I have a question, why is it that people consider the kids who are most afraid to be the "bad" kids? With that way of thinking I would not want the person to work on my kid anyway. I keep reading this whole "lack of discpiline" The childeren are uncooperative because their parents don't discipline them. Of coarse it cannot be the sharp objects, the drills, or the intimidation they feel when they go back WITHOUT a parent. Then to top it off the kids have to edure being strapped down, yelled at and ridiculed because they are uncooperative. Perhaps some dentists should worry about the patient instead of the turn over in order to make a dollar. They see a child who is "uncooperative" and automatically place them in a neusence category and threaten and hold them down with a blanket. Let me tell you- if I EVER held my child down with a blanket I would be held up on abuse charges. I understand certain measures are taken for the safety of the child but people have to understand that they are childeren. They are confused, scared, and yes they can be a pain in the neck when you need them to sit still, however why can't the office came and get the parent and consult with them prior to using such tactics? Or better yet perhaps set aside a " getting to know" you time with mom and child and explain what will happen.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't know what happened in that office that day, but obviously there is a BIG communication problem there somewhere. A parent left that office feeling like their child has been abused, someone in that office dropped the ball. Was it abuse? Only time will tell.

3. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Exactly CheerBear, as difficult as Pediatric Dentistry is, if one is going to specialize in children they should have more resources than scare tactics and force.

4. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

ARE YOU INSANE!!!! WERE TALKING ABOUT A 2 YEAR OLD BABY. YOU NEED TO GROW UP!!!!

TWITCH

5. starryeyed

starryeyed Guest

No Twitch, you obviously haven't paid attention. We are talking about an 8 year old girl! Not a 2 year old!!!!!! Go back to page one and read the first posting.

6. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

And we all know that by 8 years old it is ok to yell at them,deny them their rights, and prevent their legal guardian from accompanying them to the room.

Their is no justification for any dentist to deny parents from accompanying their minor children especially in the world we live in today. Save me the reading is it an individual room and an adult may be alone in the room with the child?

7. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

8. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Twitch, edit it and put a / in front of the word 'quote' ( like this [/quote] ) at the end of your quote.

9. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

oh like this

10. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

11. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Wow! Way to get people to listen to you - start off by calling them ignorant in your very first post. Yeah, that will certainly make them open their minds to what you have to say. :rolleyes:

12. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

This is a really good reason that I, as the parent, SHOULD be there with my child. I need to know what my child is told. That is the ONLY way I can help in meeting my child's need-using the above example, I would help my child determine what was causing the brackets to break and how to possibly prevent that by a change in her behavior-like not eating sticky food. How can I help my child if I don't know what was said. I would also know my child well enough to understand why they were upset, but ONLY if I was there! I would never go to any medical practice that didn't allow me to be with my child. I'm not even going to get into the dangers my child might be in without someone there who cares about him/her more than "convenience". Those poor traumitized children!
    I have a friend whose child is scared of white lab coats. If someone came in without the coat and nicely asked her to show her teeth, she was very compliant and would let you look at and even examine her teeth. However the practice my friend landed up at didn't even listen when the mom tried to explain this. They were so into following their procedures that they wanted to pin her down just to look at the teeth (no mechanical equipment involved so not a sfety issue). God bless those doctors and dentists that care about the patient and look at them as an individulal, not just appointment # 5 for the day!

13. bubbajane

bubbajane Guest

Interesting you spoke of the "papoose". This is a restraint for children that a few dentists...locally....use so that they can work on our chiildren. If you will ALL go to wral.com's website and do a search for this, you will learn that there are NUMEROUS charges pending against a certain LOCAL dentist for doing this very thing. Release form or not, papoosing a child at the dentist office is ILLEGAL, morally wrong and sickening. No wonder every kid is scared of the dang dentist. Heck, makes me wanna skip it too. They should hang those "meanie" dentists upside down by their toenails. Scare the crap out of them....see how they like it......GRRRRRR BTW, Dr. Lindinyi is AWESOME!!!! Also, for kids of school age, Dr. Koren in Smithfield, Smithfield Family Dentistry is also great. My 8 year old son won't let anyone but Dr. Koren touch him. Oh, I'm allowed back anytime I wanna be...entire time....even X-Rays.

~Mom of a 16, 8 and 2 year old.

******UPDATE!! I couldn't find it in the WRAL's archives. I will post a NEW reply with a link to NBC's website on the story I mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  14. bubbajane

bubbajane Guest

We ALL know this is bull!
    Every dentist that has a "papoose", thinks it's ok to use just because they have it. We all know that dentists use them daily without parents permission. Are we forgetting the lady that killed her adopted son for restraining him with blankets?? Just think about it. You child goes back, by themself, for a simple cavity or extraction. Next thing you know, your child is unresponsive. Tell me what would you do if it were YOUR child, Ms. dental assistant? What if it were YOUR child that came out and told you that he/she was strapped to a board and yelled at because he/she wanted his/her mommy while you waited in the waiting room? Would you "calmly" speak with the dentists or receptionist? HECK no, you wouldn't...and don't lie to me and say you would. If you would, you wouldn't be the normal parent. If it were MY child, they'd be lucky if I didn't severely beat them before I left. And as for you parents that are keeping your childrens appointments with this office, as many dentists offices as there are, why in the world don't you just all cancel them and schedule them elsewhere if you're really concerned for your kids? Don't tell us that you'll let us know how it goes...just don't go there. Any speculation of any type of abuse is enough for me to stay as far from that practice as I possibly could. This is rediculous. The only thing that the parents are doing in some situations to harm their child is subjecting their children to this type of establishment. I know, FOR A FACT that there are offices that WILL NOT allow parents to accompany their children to the back...and it's not mine. I go where my babies go, no matter what! WISE UP FOLKS!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  15. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

Daaaaang bubbajane, do you kiss your momma with that mouth?:shock:

16. bubbajane

bubbajane Guest

Sorry, it just angers me that a "concerned parent" would still carry their child to a place like that.

17. frugalhsmom

frugalhsmom Member

Best Dentist ever

We use Dr Wilkie and Turner in Cary. We all go back together for any and all procedures. They let my son (he's 6) wander between the room where I and one of my girls is being taken care of and they are great with my son. I sit RIGHT THERE by him while they clean his teeth. I have never been told to wait in the waiting room. They are WONDERFUL with children and never force anything that your child doesn't want. Paula is our hygenist and my son loves her.

You need a new dentist!!

18. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

We used Dr. Lindinyi for our 2 toddlers a few weeks ago for their first visit. Let me tell you, my husband and I were amazed how the nurse (hygenist) and the dr. treated our girls and we didn't feel rushed at all.

But our first impression of the waiting room was somewhat rinky dink (and thinking to ourseleves...oh my..what are we thinking) But after we went back into the room, they were professional and updated equipments, etc.

For those who go there, I am sure you know what I am trying to say here.

I can not stop bragging about this doctor. He sweet and very gentle and he will sit there and listen to my 2 1/2 year old ramble on and on.

Ro

19. CheerBearNc

CheerBearNc Guest

I am glad you liked it. I LOVE that place and I don't know if you read the begining of the thread about my son- but he loves him too after having had such a terrible experience the first time with a different dentist. They are wonderful people there. It is well worth the drive for people to just check him out who do not live in the area.

20. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

To Cheerbear, I am glad that your son is able to feel comfortable and safe with Dr. L. He sure is the greatest and parents should check him out.

Ro