The Imus Incident

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by stonecold, Apr 12, 2007.

1. stonecold

stonecold Guest

I am sure I will get beat up for this but I have to get it off my chest. This Imus situation is a flea bite on an elephant's butt. His remark was stupid even for a crotchety old white guy. This whole thing has become theater of the absurd now. A willing media cowed by the likes of Jackson & Sharpton are driving this. One of the Rutgers players Matee Avajon(I beleive) said she was "scarred for life"! Spare me the histrionics! She plays division 1 NCAA basketball and she means to say no one has ever talked nasty trash to her on the court? I don't buy it. I would love to find out what is on their IPODS. Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, Ludacris all a bunch of men who "respect women". Hardly. Of course rappers and record execs never get taken to task by Jesse Jacskon and his rent a mobs, after all they are "artists".

While Imus said a damned dumb thing, I now begin to feel sorry for him, this has gone way past the point it needs to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  2. concernedperson

concernedperson Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the comments by Imus. They were just uncalled for and I'm glad they took steps to do something. I saw an interview with Al Sharpton a couple of days ago with a host that I can't remember his name. But the first thing he asked him is why aren't you going after these black rappers that uses wayyyyy more bad use of words and disrespect for women, no matter what race they are, than Imus did. Sharpton's comments were."I guess you weren't there 2 years ago when I questioned the FCC on why they were playing this stuff on the radio." No brother Al we weren't and I don't think you were neither!

3. Just One Guy

Just One Guy Well-Known Member

Thanks to Sharpton and Jackson, now all they have to do is portray themselves as "victims" and now they have an excuse for anything.

4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

You don't see sharpton and jackson and the like saying a peep about the low life who murdered the two police officers in Charlotte?
    Why don't they say something publically about what a loser the killer was and how he cold heartedly killed two family men who didn't deserve it? (heck, they weren't even looking for that guy!)
    Imus was wrong for what he said. It was insulting, but not a reason to fear for your life. He owes apologies. What he said was extrmemly rude and nasty to those girls but I don't think we need to ruin his life for it. He didn't ruin theirs - he gave the team a lot of publicty in a very awkward way. I think they are making a huge deal out of it for the publicity. I don't condone what he said by any means.

Why do we still have racially bias groups? Groups that help one color over another? Isn't that bias? How come minorities can't be predjudiced?

Using race only when it is convient makes you arguments look lame.

Poop come in every color of the rainbow.

5. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is why isn't this other person, McGuirk also being talked about....looks like from the following text that he started the ball rolling, calling them hos first.

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning," which is broadcast to millions of people on more than 70 stations and MSNBC.
    "That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos..."
    "Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.
    That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

http://wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/1265457/

7. grysunshine

grysunshine Well-Known Member

He had a chance to apologize then blurted out "you people"...oops, so much for apology. And some people say the race issue is over and to get over it. It obviously isn't.

The "nappy-headed" part of the comment is what got him in deep "stuff".

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  8. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

You People??? That is bad to say? That's just stupid.

9. grysunshine

it figures coming from someone such as "you people".

10. ServerSnapper

Ohh I am scarred for life!!! Get me a lawyer!!!

11. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Doesn't Affirmative Action encourage the continuation of racism? Government goal of "correcting" a "wrong" by discriminating against another "race". yeah that doesn't breed any hard feelings.

12. grysunshine

:lol: ok, that was funny.

13. grysunshine

I do agree with that. NAACP, black and white schools and churches, etc. It has to come to neutral ground. I can't stand how schools still label my child on what race they are for statistical reasons. I put other and they called me and said I needed to pick one. Why have "other"? It is ridiculous.

14. ServerSnapper

What would other be??

15. grysunshine

If my son is mixed with 4 different nationalities, why should I just pick one? Because of prominence? Eh, I choose "other". All of it makes him who he is.

So we can then label what race is lower or more successful in society. When you have a bunch of kids that are inter-racial then those statistics become inaccurate when you only choose one option. Don't you think?

Back on topic, the whole Imus thing is media hyped. He got what he got and we are all feeding into it.

16. ServerSnapper

I am just trying to figure out why Imus actually used the word "Jive". LOL

17. Clif

Clif Guest

Legally they cannot force you to choose any. Personally I would have not checked a single box and then filed suit if they tried repercussions.

18. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

"Nappy headed ho's" ..... That's all he said????? Wow, we have really become the mecca of drama central haven't we. America, get a freakin life!!! Nothing is fair, your going to be called a name or two during your life, and get off the stupid drama wagon everytime someone says something you don't like!!!!!

We have become a pretty stupid society in my opinion. Everytime someone does something wrong, even as minor as this, someone goes for the throat in an attempt to make a free buck!! I see it every day. Go into any store or restaurant and you'll always hear that person yelling that the store owes them something for making a simple mistake. Or the typical law suit over spilt coffee at McDonalds.

Get a job work hard and earn a dam living. Quit the stupid law suit and chastising avenue for a living. Remember, someone pays for those free rides and it aint the people handing it out, it's you and I.

Signed,
    The Nappy Headed Ho's Chief Pimp (N double H CP)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  19. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Best take I've seen on the Imus situation:

Jason Whitlock, sports columnist for the KANSAS CITY STAR,

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

"...Imus isn’t the real bad guy
    Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.
    By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again....."

20. grysunshine

I didn't choose a category and haven't in 3 years and later in the year I received a note from the teacher. It was an email copy from someone with the county that needed me to pick an option. I wrote a letter then crumbled it and wrote down 2 and said pick one. I should have called her but I didn't want get into something that, to me, is ridiculous.