The Imus Incident

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by stonecold, Apr 12, 2007.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I think that was a compliment. If so, thank you.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

3. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

It was indeed and much deserved. I always enjoy your column and the guy's (whose name I can not remember right now). The only complaint I have with my high priced subscription is that it comes on Friday's to my house.

4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I agree with you and JEn.
    I really wish the Cleveland Post would have more then just happy little story articles. Jen could do a really good job digging up dirt on folks and investigating things - if they'd let her........
    I give ya the Pulitzer too!

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Just saw where he is now fired from CBS. I think he is an idiot, and I never listened to him, but I think this has gone to far. I think all news/DJ "entertainers" on the public airways are going to feel this dope slap for a while.

6. stonecold

stonecold Guest

Make no mistake.....now that Sharpton and his race whores managed to get “one of their own” (Imus is a lib) fired. They now have the template down, Rush Hannity Savage etc will be next. I have to believe that the tapes will be rolling on all their shows. Ol’ Don was the test case. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone at the DNC played a part in the planning and execution of this lynching. Dark days are coming.....I'm sorry Imus did NOT deserve this.

7. stonecold

stonecold Guest

This is not just a conservative vs liberal thing. Speech will now be criminalized. If they can do it to Imus, they can do it to anybody.

8. tawiii

tawiii Guest

This is just beginning.

9. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Our government steals our airwaves and auctions them off and we only hear the commercial side.

Are you referring to the streaming on the internet or lack of funding? At least Rush makes his company money.

10. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

No, they may take the airwaves, but they will never silence the communication.

11. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

The vast majority of the funding from PBS comes from "viewers like you" (and "listeners like you" in the case of public radio). Personally, I would feel more comfortable about their independence if 100% of their money came from contributions.

12. ServerSnapper

Speaking of PBS. Why did they pull that Terrorism video??

13. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

I will second this thought. No public funds for PBS. You want true free speech. Return the airwaves to the American Public not the corporate interests....government or private.

14. I'm confused, or maybe just dumb.:lol:
    But, isn't the ACLU for freedom of speech? Any type of speech?
    If so, shouldn't they be on Imus' side?

Again, I'm not that well versed in the ACLU, if anyone can explain, please let me know.

Also, on a personal note.

I'm a Johnston County native white girl who was blessed with
    "black nappy hair"

My hairdresser always says "hey nappy head"
    Can I sue her now?
    Does anyone know any sleazy Johnston County lawyers that would be willing to help me sue her for defamation of character and for being "scarred for life"
    :p

15. ServerSnapper

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Do you have information where they are coming down on the opposite side of Imus?

17. Clif

Clif Guest

Do you have any information where they are for Imus' side or in defense of him?

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Nope, it just looks like someone is trying to cloud the issue with the other whiping boy, the ACLU.

19. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Yes, the ACLU is for freedom of speech. They have defended persons from across the spectrum, in court, including those with political affiliations from Communists to Nazis. They filed a friend of the court brief on behalf of Rush Limbaugh.

So why have they not come to Imus' defense? I don't know, I can't speak for them, but bear in mind that "freedom of speech" does not give one the right to say anything they want on the public airwaves. Restrictions on profane or vulgar language, and incendiary language, have been upheld. The prohibition against slander and libel do not violate free speech. Free speech does not give you the right to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

If the ACLU has made any public statement about this case, I have not seen or heard it. I would be interested to know what they think, since I think part of their mission is educational.

20. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

If you're under the impression that this is a First Amendment (freedom of speech) issue, then you're not well versed in the Bill of Rights either. This would only be a freedom of speech issue if the government was taking Imus off the air.

The good old free enterprise system is taking Imus off the air. His sponsors cancelled their support, so his employer dismissed him. Same think as if you cussed your boss out and then he fired you.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007