School Violence

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by joannenc, Apr 25, 2007.

1. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Well, how do you guys like this???
    My son was beat up last Thursday and came home Monday with an in school suspension note for being defiant that exact same day he was beat up. This is the SAME day I had to call the police to the school for this assault.
    The little boy who beat up my son has been in school both days , in class with my son as if nothing has happened.

2. Grammie

Grammie Guest

I agree with most of what I have read here (haven't read them all). My child was bullied and harrassed in Wilson Mills, and when I went in to talk to the people in charge (and I use this lightly) nothing was done except my son was then singled out for harrassment by the (people in charge). My son was beat up by 3 kids on the bus and the driver told him to stop yelling and be quiet, the asst., when I called told me my son was over reacting and the best I could expect was to drive him to and from school. I have been doing it ever since, even in Polenta. We should do something, even to start a comittee to see where we stand as parents and how many are having the same problems, and how many believe in safe schools for our children. From what I see there are many people out there with or without children who feel the same. With numbers comes strength.

3. julie

julie Guest

I do not believe that the solution is abolishing public schools altogether, I do feel that there is something drastically wrong with the system when we as parents are sending our children into such a violent environment on a daily basis.

In addition, I do not believe that we solve the issue by violence (to all of you that have responded that all they need is a good whoopin). If we are teaching our children that solving problems with violence is wrong then why in the world would the solution be to hit them. I strongly believe in teaching by example. I have never had to raise a hand to either one of my boys and forever am being told that they are two extremely polite young men. Dont get me wrong I do believe in punishment for wrong deeds but a nice long grounding works and especially if the situation you are trying to correct is violent or disrespectful behavior.

Now my experience:

Prior to the beginning of this forum, my son and I were talking and I was absolutely shocked and appalled as he informed me that it was during his gym class when the child recently had his jaw broke and then in the next school day saw some girl get her teeth kicked in. He was relaying the story to me as if this was acceptable behavior and just part of his everyday life. According to him there were 10 fights in the last 10 days of school last year at West. How very sad for him. As mentioned earlier this would never be accepted in a work environment. Why has it become okay in our children lives? What are we to expect for them in their work environment as they become adults? I mean the violence wasnt around, to this point, when I was growing up and look at what has now become acceptable behavior.

I too for one stand behind Joanne and would like to do what I can to at least begin to bring this to other parents attention who I am sure are dealing with similar issues in their homes but feel it is an isolated issue with regard to their child.

4. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Excuse me....but the parents who are sending the violent kids to school should have to answer for it. If the law would start prosecuting parents for the childrens wrong doings then this whole lil issue would go away.

5. julie

julie Guest

I agree with grammie. Who is up for a committe?

6. turtlepits

COUNT ME IN !!!!!

7. openminded

openminded Well-Known Member

I think we all agree that this is a problem that is escalating in our society, therefore in our schools. The family home structure is not what it use to be and for this our kids suffer. I would venture to say that 99.9% of these kids that are violent come from broken homes, homes of violence and/or no boundaries and consequence for their bad behavior handed down by a parent. This starts way before grade school people. Bet you can ask the daycare workers of 3-4 yr. olds which of the kids in their class they think will become violent offenders later in life. So much easier for the hard working mom/dad to just brush the bad behaviour under the rug. Almost 99.9% of this behavior can be traced back to a lack of discipline in the home, seen it first hand with my own nephews when mom/dad wouldn't control or take an assertive/appropriate action at a young age for unexceptable behavior. We as a community can not change what goes on in the home, but we can make these kids accountable for what they do in a public setting. These kids know right from wrong but choose the bad path because there is no harsh punishment, slapped on the wrist is really all they get. These are not private schools. These schools are supported by the community and we have the right to demand something be done regarding the horrible, escalating situation of violent acts committed on school grounds. THESE ARE YOUR FUTURE CRIMINALS, THIS IS A WAKE UP CALL PEOPLE. Let's not wait until we have a Columbine to deal with. We should have a "get tough with violence program", send these offenders to boot camp or a day fieldtrip to the state prison to get a check on reality, scared straight type program state wide. Who gives a fig about the cost, the outcome will be well worth the cost. I don't blame the teachers in anyway what-so-ever, this is way over their heads. I blame the parents or caregivers for these kids. I never feared what the teacher would do to me if I acted inappropriate at school, it was what my mom/dad would do to me when they found out, this kept me on the straight and narrow road to success in life and my parents have all the love/respect from me they deserve. For those of you who don't have children in the school system you are in one way or another be influenced by these kids actions at such an early age, your FUTURE CRIMINALS at work.

8. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Taxpayer's should. Another entitlement program!

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Some things are worth investing in, and I would think safe schools would be one of them. We have to be careful not just to "throw money at the problems," but think through the problems and possible solutions and try to get the best outcome for the money we spend. But all government spending is not necessarily bad.

10. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Easy answer for some of these "students" How about they spend some time being educated by Mr. Shovel and digging ditches 101 or Ms. Trash Can and picking up litter 102 and find out what work and accountability mean.

11. openminded

openminded Well-Known Member

"Taxpayers should, another entitlement program."

Just think about the cost when they end up in the state prison, pay now or pay later, most of the time the pay later is much more costly, as in someones life etc.. think about it. This is something that I have no problems with using my tax dollars on, if the results are that a kid doesn't get his/her jaw crushed while at school and the kids feel safe in school it will be worth the cost. Why do these things always revolve around the almighty dollar, my kids life has no price, they have a right to feel and be safe in school as well as out in our community. So, if it's an issue in tax dollars, up'em. If this gets the job down right, it's all good. By the way, got any idea how much these future inmates are going to cost ya?

12. KDsGrandma

Huh! I thought my answer was thoughtful, and yours was easy. :mrgreen:

13. JC-native

JC-native Well-Known Member

I would like to know why the principals are not doing their jobs in these cases? Don't they have the power to suspend these kids or have them sent to an alternative school? My kids are just a few years away from being at WJHS and I would gladly join a community group to put pressure on these principals.

A previous poster was right, our schools should be run exactly like the businesses we work in. You lay a hand on someone else and you're gone. Not only that, but if you can't keep your language clean and avoid violent threats, same thing.

14. KDsGrandma

15. turtlepits

Because the principals look bad when their school has crime. Like the principal told us....Kids will be kids. Its easier to brush it under the rug instead of fixing the problem. They ALL , teachers, principals , and students should have to take some kind of course to learn how to recognize and stop bulling period!

16. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

ugh...my boys are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 and this is scaring the the tar outta me!!

Why can't people sue kids or sue their parents at least, we sue for sexual harrassement in the workplace, receive sexual harrassement training to avoid those lawsuits, as adults we learn by example...."meaning you hear whispers in the hallway..."so and so is being sued for such and such"" It seems to curb some actions in the adult world. We can also press charges for assault and battery or assault, why can't we use these tactics to stop bullying and harrassement in the schools!!!

Shar824

17. turtlepits

The police officer told me it was up to the school on how our problem gets taken care of. GO FIGURE!
    NOBODY wants to accept responsibility!!! NOBODY!!!

18. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

I would counter we need more reform on our judicial system and enforcement of laws while reducing costs. If you are trying to equate a child's violence going unpunished and allowed to escalate to murder I would have to difer. Obviusly the punishment for murder is not high enough or swift enough given today's trends.

Your opinion only. I think we pay way more than we should already to get the results we are getting.

How much does it cost to feed a lab rat per year?

19. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

bout 10 bucks.

20. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I've mentioned many times before - I moved to this area because of the wonderful schools - and I still believe the folks here are doing a great job (at least at the school my child attends). I realize that many parents seem concerned about school violence issues - but I also believe that most schools already have groups that can help with such issues. Without going to the media, or making the local schools systems look bad publicly or taking away from all the hard working teachers and school staff members who dedicate their lives to teaching our kids and keeping them safe - there are many ways for parents to get involved. Earlier in the year my school asked for applications for parents who would like to volunteer to be a part of the Advisory Council. You would be surprised at how few folks turned in appications. Have those with concerns mentioned these issues to any of the folks on your school's advisory council?

What is an advisory council?
    ======================
    An advisory council is a group of parents/guardians, grandparents, or other community members who have a vested interest in public schools with a desire to help make positive changes that promote the community school. The council serves in an advisory capacity to the principal on issues that might affect the entire school community.

Why do we have an advisory council?
    ============================
    The primary purpose of the advisory council is to serve in an advisory capacity to the principal and school board on matters that affect that school site. Local school advisory councils shall provide a means for citizens to have an integral part in the decision-making process at the school that he/she serves.

Who can serve as an advisory council member?
    ===================================
    An advisory council member must be an adult who is a proponent of public education and must have demonstrated continual involvement and service to his/her local school.

Local advisory councils will follow the guidelines established in Johnston County Board Policy 2040. The guidelines help compose advisory councils as follows:

* All but two members must be parents, guardians, or grandparents of a
    child in the school.
    * Two council members may be at-large members.
    * A council member must resign or move "at large" status when his
    child/grandchild no longer attends the school which he/she serves
    * Councils shall be composed of not fewer than 5 nor more than 9
    members.
    * Racial and gender representation should be the mirror image of the
    student population

How are advisory council members selected?
    ==================================
    The following selection process should be used when filling vacant positions on advisory councils:

* Vacancies should be posted in the school and with local media
    outlets so interested parties may apply.
    * Interested parties should submit a letter of interest to the local
    advisory council & a resume.
    * Local advisory councils will select the persons to fill vacancies by
    majority vote.
    * The principal must approve of the selection. If the principal does not
    approve the selection, then the advisory council will consider other
    possible candidates.

Once approval has been granted, the principal will submit the candidate to the local school board liaison.

How long does an advisory council member serve?
    =====================================
    Terms of Service:

* Advisory council members will serve 3-year terms of service.
    * Members selected to fill unexpired terms will serve the remainder of
    that term
    * A member may serve an unlimited number of terms not to exceed the
    qualifications for candidates

Term limits will conclude on June 15 of the final year of the term.

Why do we have an advisory council for individual schools?
    ============================================
    1. Assist the county board of education in promoting good schools
    district-wide.
    2. Assist in the execution of county, state, and federal school
    programs.
    3. Advise in the preparation of local school budgets.
    4. Advise on the care, use and protection of local school property.
    5. Advise in all matters pertaining to the local schools.
    6. Serve in an advisory capacity to the principal.
    7. Meet when the need arises to communicate effectively the
    concerns of the local community.