Wooden Play Yards - Need input

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by blessed2adopt2, May 19, 2007.

1. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm looking for info on wooden backyard play sets. I need to know if you bought one, where you bought it and if you are happy with it. I know they sell them at BJ's, Home Depot, and Lowes, as well as several other places in town (Raleigh, Cary, etc) that are strictly play yard places.

We have one in our back yard now that is falling apart. (It came with the home when we purchased it 2 yrs ago.) Now, I'm all for having things fixed fixing it if it's just a little broken, but my kids are getting splinters all the time. Also, some of the rungs have broken off, the rope webbing is ripped apart, and the slide broke off (literally, in pieces).

Anyhow, I'd appreciate your experience with any of the playyard companies.

2. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

re:

We bought one at Lowe's that you put together yourself. It is pretty flimsy. We should have gone with the company out there by the airport and spent the extra money. My neighbor has one from there and it is MUCH better quality.

3. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Thanks...that's exactly what I needed to hear (and convince DH about)

4. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

Cedarworks is the best!

There out of Maine and there number is 1-800-go-cedar. We bought the Tradepost in 2006 and was very pleased with the price and customer service. My buddies and I put it together and had a cookout with there family's. The kids loved the playset.

5. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

What is the place by the airport tath we are talking about?

We are looking at the one at BJs ourselves.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would try to pick one up second hand - it's just going to sit in your yard and fade. I bought a 2500.00 set on Craig's List for 300.00 a few years ago. The kids had outgrown it, squirrels had chewed on it a bit but we stained it, and it looks great - still functional.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

A little OT but we bought kiddo a "zip line" the other week off of Craigslist (used) He is having a ball with that! Used is definitley the way to go!

Anyone want to buy a slightly used trampoline???? ;)

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Are you serious about the trampoline? Let me know.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes!! I'll PM ya!

10. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

We purchased wooden one from BJ's about 4 years ago. We still like it and the kids have finally grown into it. I agree with buying used or trying to find a display model. A friend bought a display from Lowes for $150.

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I bought my kids a Woodsplay set. I spent about $5500.00 but that's also with rubber mulch to prevent noggin knocking. It is made of cedar.

12. Cleopatra

That's what I have, Woodplay. Did I mention I only payed 300.00? :)

13. ServerSnapper

Then you must have just gotten the slide!!! You hang that off the deck??

14. ServerSnapper

15. Cleopatra

I have one of the Outback models. And I bought it off of Craigs List.

Off the deck... nooooo - that's where we have the Bungee set up.

16. ServerSnapper

Dang it I am addicted to that site!!! That or I love to spend money.

17. kw

kw Member

We got ours from BJ's. It is not as nice as some of those from the other places mentioned. But it is nice and serves its purpose. Having only 1 child, with the occasional visits from friends and cousins, couldn't justify spending $5500 + when we could spend $800. We were too impatient to shop around for a used one. When the DH wants something, we have to get it right then!!

18. ServerSnapper

I have three boys. They all spend most of the day on Saturdays on it. In the evening during the week. On it. It's better than being in front of a video game.

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i just got a great deal on a trampoline for my grandkids yesterday and there were very happy:-D Thanks kdc

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You are very welcome!! Very nice to meet your DH! Hope they get more use out of it than my DS did!