Preparing Computer for Disposal/New Home

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by dragonlady, May 29, 2007.

1. dragonlady

dragonlady Guest

I have an older PC, Pentium with XP, that can't connect to the internet. I would like to give it to someone who can fix it, but am concerned about all the personnal information on it. How can I get rid of the info without costing an arm and a leg? Thanks in advance.

2. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

How old is it? If it has a regular IDE hard drive, Autoclave is free. It will run a three-pass wipe on the drive, making recovery pretty much impossible for anyone short of the NSA. Keep in mind that it will make the drive unbootable until a new operating system is installed.

If you can't find AC, let me know. I should be able to make an executable that can create a bootable floppy disk.

3. dragonlady

dragonlady Guest

Probably about 6 years old. Not being able to get online, is keeping me from downloading any of the online stuff. I thought about using my other computer to download something to a cd but am apprehensive about hurting my computer if I make a mistake.

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Why not just remove the hard drive and let the person you're giving the computer to get a new hard drive?

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I agree and using a sledge hammer on it can be quite carthetic. :mrgreen:

On a related note the following story discusses how putting a hard drive in a freezer for a couple of days can enable the thing to be read.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/garfinkel/17609/

6. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Isn't there some sort of DOD utility that will wipe the hard drive clean? My prior employer used to lease its computers (desktops and servers) and before they were returned at EOL, the tech department was supposed to do some magic to ensure that no company data left the building.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I agree with Jen. Just remove the drive.