D. R. Wells & Pepsi

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by geekgirlie, Jun 25, 2007.

1. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Right, that's what I said. My dispute was with somebody calling it "communism" that he doesn't carry the product they want to buy. ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Unless it's changed Clayton Food Town has the best meats in Clayton and it's alot closer than DR Wells. Now DR does have great meats and for me it is a wash as to which I go to as both are about the same distance. Kinda wish Wimpy's was still in business as the meats there were the absolute best you could get.

Craig

3. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Clayton Food Town does have good meats. However in our opinion they are below D.R. Wells quality.
    Plus the owners of Clayton Food Town are both very unfriendly. You can meet them in one of the narrow isles, bump into them and they still will not speak. Hey, and we have been doing business there for years. We miss Waylon and Sam Spence.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Lived here for 6 years and have never been in Clayton Food Town. Maybe I will expand my horizons one day. 8)

5. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

Some people on here think EVERYTHING is communism! Crazy!:roll:

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I think he was using the term communism very loosely, not literally. Anyhoo, I agree about Clayton Food Town...that is where we get most of our meats from.

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Yes, that's why I agreed with vita-verylongname's suggestion that we need a civics lesson.

8. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Where is that?

9. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

somebody tell me dr wells is. the steaks thing has gotten me hungry....

10. mike79

mike79 Active Member

This communism talk is a bunch of Bolshevik

11. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I Love DR Wells for the Lottery Tickets!!!! I love the scratch offs and one day when I strike it RICH I will open up a convenience store next to his and half of that store will only be PEPSI Products!

12. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Now that really brings back memories. Every Saturday my mom and dad would load up and go to Wimpy's for meats. It was a Saturday evening ritual when I was small. And you're right, Wimpy's did have the best meat around!!

Brenda

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Disappointed at D.R. Wells This Afternoon!

Well my bubble was bursted at D.R. Wells today about 1:00 PM. In addition to other meats we needed a roast about a pound and a half larger than any one in their counter. I asked if they would cut one for me. Their response; "sorry but we just cleaned up and can't cut a special request." Unfortunately a new generation at D.R. Wells. They have always filled special requests for us. We picked up our rib eyes and went elsewhere.
    D.R. Wells still has the best meats but they have to be "customer responsive" to continue to get our business. A "Can Do" attitude!

14. littleguy

littleguy Well-Known Member

tell me about wimpy's? where was it located. was it a meat market? i believe i have heard about such a place but I thought it was a hot dog/hamburger stand/restaurant in smithfield or selma a long time ago. it was before my time but i have heard oldtimers talking about it.

15. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Wimpy's was on Hwy 50 in Garner, near Timber Dr (which didn't exist when Wimpy's was running.) The building is still there, but I believe it is vacant now.

16. littleguy

littleguy Well-Known Member

thanks. not the place I heard about. too bad the big box grocery stores have made it difficult for this type meat market/grocery store to survive.

17. dangerboy

so, nobody wants to tell me where dr wells' is?

18. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

intersection of Cleveland and Matthews Road. Right across from the old Cleveland School

19. dangerboy

thank you

20. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Wimpy's was A LOT more than a meat/grocery store. He used to carry a little bit of everything in that place from plough points to meat to hoop cheese to work boots to livestock feed to a 55 gallon drum out back with a label that said "Kills Everything". I've got a couple of friends that used to work there, one in the store front part the other as a butcher.

If you couldn't find it at Wimpy's it wasn't needed on the farm.

Craig