D. R. Wells & Pepsi

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by geekgirlie, Jun 25, 2007.

1. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Take a step into the way back machine and tell me if you remember the dairy that used to be right down the road from Wimpy's next to the christmas tree place.

Visited that place many times as a child growing up to watch them milk the cows and then process the milk.

Craig

2. CraigSPL

Wimpy's was the Garner version of Olive's farm supply. Although it was more upscale than Olive's.

Craig

3. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

Come out and sit near DR Wells on the 4th for the parade (10 am)... Behind the old Cleveland School (right across from DR Wells, beside the Cleveland Campus of JCC), after the parade, there'll be a community hoo-ha, with freebies (I hope!) and stuff to do and buy...
    (...I may have to run over and get a couple of ribeyes...yummo!)

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'll walk :mrgreen:

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Second Street, downtown Clayton. It has been there FOREVER!

6. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

You got me on that one. You would think after years of going to Wimpy's on Saturdays I would remember. How far back are we talking???

Do you remember the old airport (up near King's Department store)??

Brenda

7. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Craig...remember the turtle-shell hats at Wimpy's????? You're right, whenever you couldn't find something, my dad would always say, "Let's go up 50 to Wimpy's...I bet he's got it". We would and he would have it!!!

8. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Whimpy Williams was a fun fun fun place to look over everything in it's day. The family even kept the store open tha day of his FUNERAL as he requested.

There were 2 dairy's on NC50, between 1010 & Garner, one at Rand Road and one that operated later into the 1970's near the airstrip/Dail cattle fields.

Yes, I remember King's dept store, where my tricycle came from!!! and the Airport on the hill behind there.

Kel

9. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

I don't remember going to Wimpy's much, just a time or two with my Mom. While we're on memory lane though... I DO remember King's! I VERY CLEARLY remember throwing a temper tantrum in the store, because I wanted to swing on the bars that held the shopping carts, and I remember the much deserved spanking my Daddy gave me in the parking lot too! :eek:

Heading into downtown Raleigh... do y'all remember Big Boy's, the Planter's Peanut place, the first Hardee's, and when the Purina plant was painted checkerboard red & white? Those were the good old days! :)

10. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Big Boy's, the Planter's Peanut place, the first Hardee's, and when the Purina plant was painted checkerboard red & white?

Yes, I do. That was the way into Raleigh from JoCo. I can see Mr. Peanut with cane & top hat standing outside waving to the cars. The Shoney's Big Boy Hot Fudge Cake was a major treat, usually only offered by M&D on a 3 way split...

Then again I remember the OLD Fayetteville St. Belk's enterance & Cameron Village Boylon Pearce's indoor water fountains & begging my grandmother to toss in a penny.

11. Flint Benson

Flint Benson Member

How about the Pizza Inn as you went into Raleigh that way? Building looked like an old train station, because it was designed after the train station in Benson.

12. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Wow Ready...good memory. I also remember Mr. Peanut standing out there waving. Also remember stopping by getting licorice as a special treat sometimes.

Oh yeah, the Purina Plant. That place actually smelled good after going to Hayes Barton Pool with the neighbors kids and swimming all day. We'd ride back by there and were so hungry that anything smelled good at that time. :lol: The parsonage for a local church was across the road from our house and I was best friends with the daughter. We were only about 10 or so at the time. Her dad would always go to the old Rex Hospital to visit with people and he'd drop us off at Hayes Barton for the day. He had a VW wagon and he'd leave the tail gate down. We would sit in the back with our legs hanging out like in a pickup truck. Can you imagine doing anything even remotely like that today? I really hate our kids aren't able to do some of the stuff we did. But then again, I would probably worry myself silly about them if they did.

Brenda

13. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Good memories. I remember waving at Mr. Peanut too, and the Shoney's man holding the hamburger.

Wimpy's was candy heaven when I was a little boy. Every once in a long while my dad would let me go down the isle (barefoot on the concrete floor, wearing no shirt) and fill up a paper bag with every kind of penny candy imaginable. He'd always get a bag of chocolate covered peanuts too.

That was back in the days when McGees crossroads was considered no-mans land. Once you passed there, most city folks expected to fall of the edge of the Earth at every turn.

Then the transplants came. :-(

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  14. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Do y'all remember when they used to come out to your car, like in the show Happy Days, at Big Boy's? I was VERY young when they did that, but I still remember it.

Who else remembers Fosdicks(sp?) Seafood restaurant?

15. CraigSPL

That's the one I remember going to as a kid. My great grandmother used to live on Rand Rd. Just as you turned on Rand Rd. from 50 there used to be a little white house that sat on top of the hill on the right and that is where my grandparents lived when they first got married. Great grandparents lived about a half mile or so up on the left in a big white house with a screen in front porch.

Craig