A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Vick is a little boy wrapped in a mans body, and should be punished for his actions. He is just yuck!!

2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

A Social Sentinel: Acts of Animal Cruelty Can Point to an Offender's Potential for Violence Against Humans

Most people are aware that animals play an important role as sentinels of disease and toxins in our environment. The proverbial canary in the coal mine is a well-known example: the sick canary served as a warning sign for impending physical danger to the miners.
    Recently, more and more evidence suggests that animals can play a similar role with regards to social violence. Some of the most striking evidence for a link between animal cruelty and human violence lies in the case histories of many of the 20th century's most infamous criminals.
    • Mass-murderer and cannibal Jeffrey Dahmer killed neighbors' pets and impaled a dog's head on a stick.
    • Patrick Sherril, who murdered 14 co-workers and then killed himself, stole pets, then tied them up and allowed his own dog to mutilate them.
    • David Berkowitz, the so-called "Son of Sam," shot his neighbor's labrador retriever.
    • Albert DeSalvo, the "Boston Strangler," shot arrows into boxes of trapped cats and dogs.
    • Brenda Spencer, who fired 40 shots into a crowd of children, murdering 2 and wounding 9, had a history of setting the tails of neighborhood cats and dogs on fire.
    • Edmund Emil Kemper III, who murdered his mother and 7 other women, used to abuse cats and dogs.
    • Carol Edmund Cole, who murdered 35 people, admitted that his first violent act was strangling a puppy.
    • Richard Allen Davis, kidnapper and murderer, doused cats with gasoline and set them on fire.
    Studies of prison inmates reveal that as many as 75% of violent offenders had early records of animal cruelty. There is also a high correlation between family violence and animal cruelty. A study in 1983 of New Jersey families referred to youth and family services for reasons of child abuse reported that 88% of cases had at least one member of the household who physically abused animals. An English researcher found that 83% of families reported for animal abuse also had children listed at high risk of abuse or neglect. We close with the words of Immanuel Kant: "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Thanks SB.

4. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

SB is on the ball!

5. Southernborn

Yep, it's amazing what a good nights sleep does for ya! LOL:lol:

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

and a few photos!! ;)

7. Clif

Clif Guest

Yes, I read them. I also read that those who signed them did so in an effort to keep themselves from getting harsher sentences for their crimes.

Now, if the district attorney were to tell you that you were going to prison for twenty years, but the sentence would be reduced to probation if you signed a paper accusing someone else, would you sign it?

Is dog fighting wrong? Absolutely. Did Vick participate? One presumes, as he admitted to it in his plea. Should he get the maximum sentence allowed by law for the crime of which he was convicted? Certainly.

Did he electrocute and drown any dogs? He says he didn't. The only "proof" are statements by people who were given a "deal" in exchange for accusing Vick. Being accused does not make you guilty. Being accused by someone who is given a deal in exchange for the accusation should throw up some red flags.

But then you don't really care what the truth is, do you? All you care about is that Vick was accused of killing the poor little animals and that means the death penalty.

8. Southernborn

The way I see it is if he wasn't guilty he would have never plead guilty. Plain and simple. He chose his faith on this one when he allowed these hurendous activities to go on at his property. Yes, it was a choice. He allowed people to stay on his property, and that was a choice.

I would not sign a statement against someone else, unless it was the truth. Of course, I'm not the "criminal" element either, like Vick and his co-defendants, so I'm sure their mind set it totally different than mine is. I'll ask you, just like you ask me, just because he says's he didn't do it, but others say he did, how can you prove he didn't? Look at his character..it tells everything!

I think Vick is another powerhouse athlete who thought he was above the law and could get off if caught. Well, it's time we let these athletes know this continued behaviour will NOT be allowed or tolerated any longer within the sports arena.

9. KellBell

oh but I told him that, and he said 'he can read' :neutral:

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Clif, do you EVER get tired of playing the devil's advocate?

Are you seriously saying that he fought the dogs, but didn't necessarily treat them cruelly by electrocuting and drowning them with his own two hands? He was involved up to his eyeballs, and even if he didn't do it himself, he condoned it, profited from it and perpetuated it.

11. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

You were just trying to get me fired up this am huh?!?!? :)

12. GarnerGirl2000

i just saw that when i went back to check! thanks for not picking me apart :)

13. GarnerGirl2000

yea i think she took an extra one bc she was very calm and quiet the whole time!!!

14. KellBell

Girl, there are way too many 'pick-a-parter's" on here....thats one club I am not a member of. ;) :-D

I knew what you meant, when you said what you said ;)

15. GarnerGirl2000

well thank god someone did, i usually run into the "pick a parters" :roll:

16. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

"pick a parters"
    :) :)

not me

17. Southernborn

heck I'm clueless :mrgreen:

18. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

I want an everything bagel with jalapeno cream cheese!!! lol

19. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

oooohh I love the everything bagels they are wonderful :)

20. Southernborn

Only time I can eat jalapenos is when I've got a cold beer to go with it....bagels and beer might be good for a night time snack!

I love that one cream cheese that's got chives, etc. in it...