Convicted Sex Offender in South Hills

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by roygolf, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. It's a parents responsibility to the community and children of your community to make sure you do everything you can to get the message out. Make people aware, put the flyer's out w/pics and stats of his crimes, it's public record.

2. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

for some reason i thought that when a sex offender moved into a neighborhood they had to go around to all the houses and have them sign something stating that they are aware a sex offender has moved into the neighborhood?!?!?!?!?

3. Southernborn

Didn't happen when one moved into our neighborhood, that's why the flyers were put out, then he moved a week later.

4. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

I disagree.

Its sad that we have lost our sense of community so much that this can happen. If there is irrefutable evidence he did this to a 7 year old girl, he deserves mob justice. He sure as heck doesn't deserve a minute's peace in this community.

5. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

I thought that as well.

6. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

I am torn on this one. The "mother bear" in me wants to head over there at midnight with torches glowing and pitchforks in hand (just kidding:lol: ) and run him out of town. The logical side (rarely seen) of me says to go through the proper channels....at least for now. Still waiting on a call from the Attorney General's office.

All reports show that he admitted to doing it so the parents would drop the charges. I ask you, if you had been accused of something this horrible but were truly innocent, would you admit guilt just to stay out of jail or would you fight to prove your innocence:?: :?: :?:

7. Southernborn

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/sexofreg.htm

XII. PUBLIC ACCESS TO REGISTRATION INFORMATION
    A. COUNTY REGISTRY
    The following information in a county registry regarding a person required to register is public record and will be available for public inspection; name, sex, address, physical description, picture, conviction date, offense for which registration was required, the sentence imposed as a result of the conviction, and registration status. (Information regarding a person’s medical records or documentation or treatment for the person’s mental abnormality or personality disorder shall not be a part of the public record). A sheriff must release any other relevant information that is necessary to protect the public concerning a specific person, but cannot release the identity of the victim of the offense that required registration.
    Any person may obtain a copy of the individual’s registration form, a part of the county registry, or all of the county registry, by submitting a written request for the information to the sheriff. Again, however, the identity of the victim cannot be released. A sheriff may charge a reasonable fee for duplicating cost and mailing cost.

8. Clif

Clif Guest

So much to reply to...

The law gives a specific sentence for a crime. If you don't like the law, work to change it. Otherwise, you need to live with your actions (or lack thereof).

These "professionals" I keep hearing about. It's amazing that the hard numbers say one thing and they say something else. If they have a higher number of repeat offenders than the Department of Justice, then this must mean that they are aware of a repeat sex offender that has not been caught. If that is the case, then they are guilty of aiding the sex offenders from getting the punishment they deserve. In truth, though, I don't think they have any actual numbers themselves. They have an opinion which is probably based on personal experience. They deal with sex offenders and, as such, see more than is the actual number. A simple matter of, "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

The registry itself is so polluted that it's virtually worthless. There are cases where real offenders don't register or don't alert when they move. Just last year there was a news article about some guy (in Florida, I seem to remember) that was constantly being harassed by his neighbours. It seems the place he moved to was previously occupied by a registered sex offender. When the sex offender moved, he didn't re-register so the list still had the house number and no one in the neighbourhood would accept that the new occupant was not the one registered. Such is mob violence.

9. openminded

openminded Well-Known Member

I happen to be one of those professionals who has worked at Dorothy Dix Hospital in the course of my career. Where's your experience? Numbers are just that, numbers. So many variable come into play with these percentages that it's as I mentioned before, one study will always rebute another, it happens all of the time in case studies and that's exactly where they've gotten these numbers from. There are so many variable that go into those "Numbers" that you seemed to love to quote. Reality is a different matter. These people have a mental illness. If society believe so hard that they wouldn't commit the same crime why do you suppose as a part of their probation they cannot be around those that they've committed a crime against? Ever hear of them being allowed back in situations that would put them in contact with children? No, as part of their probation they are not allowed to have contact with children. This is the only way to ensure they never harm a child again.

10. Clif

Clif Guest

If society believed them to be as dangerous as you say, why are they allowed out at all? The answer is hysteria. People are told that sex offenders will repeat, those people don't bother to actually look at the numbers and call for death, dismemberment, and castreation. Those who actually look at the numbers know that they cannot grant what the people demand, so they give them as much as the can, which is the registry.

Tell me, oh expert, why are your numbers and the DOJ numbers so vastly different? If every one of them is mentally ill, with no cure, why is it only 53 out of 1000 caught?

11. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I do agree that there is not enough prison time for these offenders and I certainly don't want them in my neighborhood any more than the next person. I have 3 kids myself so I fully understand. But the fact is is that they ARE living in the neighborhoods. May even be ones we DON'T know anything about. And as much fuss as we put up, it's not changing anything....at least for now. So for the "NOW", we must use caution after caution after caution......If enough people get on the band wagon, the law may become stricter, but until then we must be on guard.

Do I think that child molesters like this can change? I'd like to think so but I doubt it. It's too risky to trust someone like that. Must we tolerate one living in our neighborhoods? It looks as though we do to a degree.

We can make as much noise and fuss as we want in hopes that the person will leave the area. We cannot become "physical" or destructive about as that only gets US in trouble. Whether we feel a molester has rights or not is no matter. They do and unfortunately, we have to abide by that. Do I mean go on like all hunky dory and happy about it? Of course not. Be vigilant, cautious and protective. It's the only thing we have for now.

12. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

I agree. This is why I have called to find out OUR rights.

13. openminded

Why did it take 20 years or so for John Wayne Gacy to get caught? Would you not consider that he was not mentally ill for the horrendous crimes he committed against children? This is a mental illness and has been classified as such with the Psychological community. Every single person that has charges brought up against them for this type of crime will get a psyhic evaluation and court ordered therapy.
    Your thought process on this topic would scare me if you were my neighbor.
    Peace out.

14. Clif

Clif Guest

Are all supposed to pay for the actions of one?

Then why aren't they all sentenced to a prison for the mentally insane? And, again, if there is no cure, why are they not locked up for the rest of their lives?

15. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

How could you think for a moment that someone that molests children wouldn't do it again? What do you think, it was an accident the first time? OOPS...I molested a kid, didn't mean to do that!! No, this is a well thought out plan, they know exactly what they're doing. No different than pre-meditated murder, only with molestation the poor victim has to live with it for the rest of their lives. The sad thing is, a lot of the times the predators were victims once themselves, and it's just a domino effect. This messes some people up so bad they end up not knowing what's right and wrong. And yes, unfortunately we do have to live with it, but since they don't care about making other lives miserable, I don't think we need to care about their feelings too much. I say, tell everyone you know who he/she is and where they live and what their picture looks like! Tell your children to avoid them at all costs. And Clif, if you're so sure they aren't usually repeat offenders, why don't you take your kids (if you have any) over and let them play in his yard. I'm sure he'd like that.

16. Clif

Clif Guest

Some will. But you can't say that everyone who does will do it again. As I have shown in my first post in this thread, the Department of Justice says that only 5.3% of those who are released get caught again. That's an awfully small number. Even of you take into account those who do offend again, but somehow don't get caught, or even those who are released and die before they can offend again, you cannot honestly say that those numbers would account for the other 94.7%.

You could also say that it was no different than burglery. It's certainly not accidental, and yet they allow these people to live whereever they please, possibly next to you, without you being made aware.

Once again, if the experts are so sure that a sex offender will offend again, why are they released in the first place?

17. openminded

Source: Dr. Gene G. Abel, M.D.
    Fact: 95% of sex acts against children are committed by a male. On going sex drive directed towards children, this is a classified as a mental disease/disorder, caused by an over driven sex disorder that starts when he/she is young. There are two classified types, won't get into those. Estimations are that 2 out of 10 girls will be sexually abused by the age of 13, 1 out of every 10 boys by the age of 13.
    Source: Robert P. Morin
    Cited numbers indicate two-thirds of the sexual abuse cases go unreported by social workers. A childs first complaint of child molestation is often not reported.
    The numbers you read about are collected by enforcement agencies and social service agencies, which do not account for all of the crimes against children, just a drop in the bucket. This is a system's numbers reflect count by child not by charge.
    Do yourself a favor. Call any professional up you want out of the phone book, ask if child molestation is a classified disease/disorder and see what you get. If it's not a mental disease/disorder what do you call it?

18. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

But like Clif said, THEN WHY LET THEM OUT? I'm not for them being out by any means nor living in my neighborhood. But the question still is on the table....WHY LET THEM OUT?

19. Clif

Clif Guest

So, aren't these social workers also guilty of aiding the child molestor by not turning them in?

All of the numbers you cited are interesting, however they do not in any way shape or form indicate that a convicted sex offender, once released from prison, will offend again.

I did not say it wasn't. Since I don't study it, I don't know. But the question remains, if it is a mental disease, and is uncurable, why are we letting them out?

20. Southernborn

Let's see, probably because there is no room in the jails? Most of them are not considered violent offenders.