Convicted Sex Offender in South Hills

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by roygolf, Sep 25, 2007.

1. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

:shock: i havent, not that im trying to be nosey or anything........;)

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

just clarifying.

3. openminded

openminded Well-Known Member

1. No (I'm a law abiding person, know right from wrong)
    2. No
    3. No
    The situation you described is a very unfortunate one and I'm sorry for what happened to this person you knew and maybe this has caused you to have tunnel vision on this topic. As unfair as this person was treated that is not the situation in this particular case and I'll go as far as to say that this rarely happens with these cases. Many offenders get the charges dropped, see the below references.
    I can't and never will call the sexual abuse of a child a "mistake", very sad for you IF you prefer to call it that.
    Here are some facts for what you call a "mistake" or what it sounded like to me you were calling a mistake.

"We know that sex offenders who target children are very likely to be repeat offenders", Source: Ernie Allen, President and CEO of NCMEC

Paraphilias: definition; psychosexual disorders, Source: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Vol. 4

"Although pedophiles vary greatly, their sexual behavior is repeatative and highly predictable".
    "In the US, society's historical attitude about sexual victimization of children can generally be summed up in one word: Denial
    "Molestation of children is part of a long-term persistent pattern of behavior"
    Society's lack of understanding and acceptance results in:
    1. failure to disclose and even denial of victimization
    2. incomplete, inaccurate, distorted disclosures when they happen
    3. lifetime of shame, embarrassment and guilt
    4. offenders with numerous victims over extended period of time
    Source: Kenneth V. Lanning

Educate yourself by going to the website for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

This thread was about child abuse and parent/neighbor concerns for which you seem to have a foggy perception because of a bad personal experience. I feel sad for you if you really believe that these types of people have just committed an "oops" or made a "mistake" and I truely hope that this mistake never happens to one of your children or grandchildren which ever the situation may be. Do you believe the guy in this neighborhood is being treated unfairly, in this particular circumstance, after reading everything about this situation and this man?

4. Clif

Clif Guest

Ok, I really don't fell like repeating this every time we get into these discussions. I am not proud of my past, but I am not ashamed either. It was a learning experience that benefited me well. I simply don't want to put out the effort every few months, so someone link to this.

In 1980 I was convicted of armed robbery and spent four years, seven months in the Arizona prison system. I never claimed innocence or my crime, only stupidity of youth. My time spent in prison allowed me to attend college where I received a degree in Computer Science (and hence have jobs that pay more in one week than most of y'all make in a month).

While I did enjoy attending college, and met some great people, I did not like being there. So I vowed to never go back. No, that never meant that, if I ever committed a crime, I would go down in a blaze of glory. Simply that I would not commit another crime.

I have now been a "free man" for over 20 years. Unfortunately the rest of the country doesn't see it from my point of view. In the beginning it was hard to find a place to live, or get a job. People didn't care that I had paid for my mistake, all they saw was a criminal and wanted nothing to do with me. Even to this day, when I look for a job, I must be aware of the place in the application that says, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony". I'm pretty much safe, if they limit it to the past seven or ten years, but occasionally I will find one (non security, in case you're thinking that) that will go back forever, and will not get the job.

Just a year or two ago, I met a woman on a single site. We chatted for a while and then agreed to meet in person for dinner and a movie. During dinner, in context of whatever story I was regaling, I mentioned my past (including the fact that it was over twenty years ago). A look came over her like she had seen a ghost and asked if she heard me right. I told her that I did, indeed serve time and repeated that it was over twenty years ago. She immediately rose and left for the door. She wouldn't even talk to me after that.

Now, do you have any more questions as to why I defend someone who has committed a crime, paid his (or her) debt to society and is now trying to put their life back together only to have ignorant people who make their life a living 7734?

Do you now understand that God commands us to forgive? Do you understand why He commanded that? Are you going to sit there and tell me how Christian you are and then go gather up the torches and pitchforks?

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Can we shoot this dead horse. It is definately a Debbie Downer.

6. Clif

Clif Guest

You would be surprised at how many people break the law and won't even admit it to themselves.

I would like to see the statistics that Mr. Allen uses to make that statement. Of course, though, I would bet good northern money that he will not provide it, as he has none.

7. Clif

Clif Guest

You don't like it? Move on.

8. ServerSnapper

Clif wrong tree to bark up.

9. Clif

Clif Guest

Go to 7734

10. openminded

I never eluded to the fact that I cared about your past, could care less. Don't care about how much you make for a living. I probably make more, big deal. Your past crime doesn't compare to this in anyway, in fact you served a harder sentence than those that are convicted of these types of crimes. If it were me, I'd be made of that fact alone. The two crimes don't compare. He violated a young, innocent 7 yr. old and she will suffer the rest of her life for it. I don't preach religion, not your business where I stand on that and has never been brought up by me. Rather you want to believe this or not, because your background and education in not in this area, these people are mentally ill for whatever reason, it is called a disease/disorder and they will forever need therapy and professional help for the remainder of their lives. They should never be allowed around children.
    This is not about you and your past, look past your anger and think about the children. Over 3 million children are sexually abused, only 603,000 sexually offenders are registered. I'm sorry you've been treated unfairly by society and for the record your history wouldn't bother me in the least, as you said that was 20 years or so ago and I'm glad that your doing so well with your life. It's a different ballgame with this type of crime.

11. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

If you're going to cut and paste, it would be helpful to include links. I can't really tell much about your sources from your post.

12. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

Clif,

I am a Christian. I am the one that has urged everyone to DROP their torches and pitchforks and find a rational way to solve this problem. I have made phone call after phone call to the authorities to try to find a civil way of expressing our concerns to this neighbor. I strongly believe in forgiveness and redemption. God can save anyone. Hard as it may be to believe this I have not only been praying for the situation to be resolved but I have also been praying for Ricky Sewell. As for trust...I cannot possibly risk the life or welfare of my children. I have faith...strong faith..unfortunately, at this moment it is weak. I am ashamed and am struggling with that. As for paying for one's mistakes....Ricky Sewell did not pay for his mistakes. The only one that I see that suffered for his crimes is the child and her family (possibly his family as well).

I totally feel the pain of those that are treated unjustly. Anyone that knows me knows that I will stand up for anyone that is being treated unfairly (my family calls me Wonder Woman:lol: ). This is one battle that I will not fight. He must move. I don't care where, but I do care how soon...now. Imagine showing his picture to your 9 year old so that he is aware of what this guy looks like and your precious child casually looks at you and says "I know who he is". It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. I fluctuate between anger and tears.

No one in this neighborhood is going to back down from this. The end!!

peace out

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  13. ServerSnapper

I did. The devil wants his personality back.

14. openminded

I'm sorry KDsgrandma,
    Just go to the website for NCMEC, all the resources you need are there including the ones I use. Trying to do ten things at once and keep my sanity with my business. There is so much information on this website for people who want to learn more.
    National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
    We need to all work to keep our children safe.

15. GarnerGirl2000

wow clif, i am sorry!

16. openminded

F.Y.I
    Never have committed a crime and chances are never will.
    Sorry if you think I'm not telling the truth, hope that wasn't what you were implying to me.

17. Clif

Clif Guest

Why? Is it your fault? :) <-- The rare smiley in my post

I'm didn't write that asking for compassion. I live. I add to society. I do my part in helping to educate my fellow man, as all should. Hopefully, when I leave this plane of existence, I will have left it a little better than I found it.

18. Clif

Clif Guest

Oh, I think that you think you're telling the truth. As I said, some people will commit a crime and then refuse to accept that they have done so.

Ever drove 40 in a 35? You've committed a crime.
    Ever eat a grape at the market "just to test it"? You've committed a crime.
    Ever notice the extra something in your basket that the sales lady forgot to ring up and then you decided it was too much hassle to return it? You've committed a crime.

I hate to sound too preachy, especially in a non-religious thread, but remember that God said all are sinners. Most sins are also crimes.

19. GarnerGirl2000

I know I am :shock: shocked:shock: at the smiley face!!!!!! I was just surprised I guess by reading what you had wrote.

20. Clif

Clif Guest

Why would that surprise you? The world is made up of all kids of different people. Considering the statistics on incarceration, I would bet that there are a lot more people that you interact with that are ex-convicts. Most go along with their lives and you'd never know. Also, most tend to shy away from advertising the fact, as there are stigmas that go along with it.

Me, I'm too old to care any more. As I said originally, I am not proud of it, but I am not ashamed either. I learned from it, and hopefully others will as well.