A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I start a new job after Thanksgiving. :) Change scares me!

2. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

Change is EXCITING!

3. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

OH MY!! It does look like Jeff Gordon!!!!:lol::lol:

4. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

it's so obvious why you are single and not with any of your wives anymore...:roll:

5. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

Be glad you have a job and don't worry about change. Sometimes it is WAY good. You will do just fine.

Grace

6. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Ouch :lol:

7. JCG

JCG Well-Known Member

I am blessed, I am Blessed, I am Blessed.

8. Tit4Tat

Good Morning all of you Lowe's Food freaks!

9. Tit4Tat

Double post.

Random thought: When you put salt on a slug, he dissolves. Why? Does this work on slug people?:)

10. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I wish!

11. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

What in the name of Pete could a little teeny baby be having nightmares about?

:(

12. Grace Slick

Jen,
    When I adopted my daughter at the age of seven months old and brought her to my home in America she had nightmares. I know some of what happens to those children when born and after but am still unsure exactly what those nightmares were. She still does not like to see anyone in a mask because she had so many surgeries when she was young and I think she remembers the masks on the faces of the staff.

It is one of those things we will never know but our hearts go out to them. I know I will never forget waking up to hear her. Seven months old and only eleven pounds. She could not use her legs because they had been bound due to lack of staff at the orphanage. They have so many babies and children that they have a hard time taking care of all of them. It is sad.

Grace

13. JenniferK

Well at least that's a logical explanation.
    Little Bit woke up screaming last night and it took me dang near an hour to calm her down enough to go back to sleep.
    I stripped her, checked for bug bites, checked the crib, checked the locks on the windows, made DH go outside and look for boogeymen, lol...
    I gave her toys, a bottle, I walked, I rocked, I sang. Nothing was working.

Poor thing was just awfully upset, and a bad dream is all I can think of.

14. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I remember when one of my daughters were very young she'd have night terrors (a couple of times). She hasn't had one for years, thank god. She'd wake me up screaming like someone was hurting her...it'd take me forever to calm her down and it'd scare the crap out of me. She had interupted sleep due to huge adnoids and tonsils, once they were removed we didn't have any other problems.

Here's some info on Night Terrors in children:

In most cases, night terrors happen after a stressful event or a lack of sleep. In rare cases, some of these afflicted people experience years of disturbed sleep. While rare, some adults are plagued by night terrors and can even experience night terrors throughout their lives. In extreme cases of night terrors that occur regularly and for a prolonged time in adults, there could be [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]psychological [/FONT][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]problems[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] and/or the presence of extreme stress.

Know the signs

-Sudden bouts of apparent awakening (The child appears awake but is in [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]deep [/FONT][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]sleep[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR])
    -Overwhelming fear, terror, or strange behavior occurring at night
    -Rapid heart beat
    -Screaming or crying
    -Confusion
    -Sweating
    -No memory of the event
    -Inability to fully awaken
    -Irritable and difficult to sooth back to sleep

Is there any treatment available?
    In most cases, the only thing that helps is comforting the child, reassuring them that there is nothing to fear. Developing a nightly bedtime ritual is also one of the most effective treatments for this disorder. Although therapy or psychological counseling may be an option in some extreme cases, this is rare. [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Benzodiazepine[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] is a medication that has shown success in reducing night terrors in some of these severe cases. Medication is not necessary for the vast majority of children with night terrors. Some doctors report that the recommended dosage of [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Benadryl[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR](diphenhydramine) given an hour or so before bedtime can reduce the occurrence of a night terror.
    Most children will outgrow night terrors, so a little comfort goes a long way. Gentle touches from a reassuring parents are all that most [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]children [/FONT][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]need[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] to get through this frightening experience. If the night terrors are severe, cause injuries, or are a constant problem, your [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]doctor[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] may suggest an alternate treatment like therapy or administering a drug.

15. Grace Slick

Anything could have happened. Maybe rolling over a feeling a small pebble in the crib or anything. Sounds like you and DH did all you could. An old wife's tale...put a boiled egg behind the door of the baby's bedroom and all will be well. Strange, I know, but since I went through a lot with mine I tried it and it seemed to work (got it from the Fox Fire books). It was probably all in my mind but hey, she stopped and had a good night's sleep and so did I.

Good luck,
    Grace

16. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I hope it's better tonight ...

17. JenniferK

Me too, she was pityful!

But this morning, she was fine. Happy and playful as normal.

And Grace.....a boiled egg? Never heard of that one!

18. Clif

Clif Guest

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

19. Grace Slick

The Fox Fire books. I have read those books and think the school is wonderful. Old folklore is in them and is very interesting. Some I would never try...like if you have an ear ache put a couple of drops of urine in it and it will go away. YUK! Not us. But I did try some others including the boiled egg.

Go figure.
    Grace

20. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

steeeeerrrike!