Christmas Angels

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Nov 2, 2007.

1. mslusk

mslusk Well-Known Member

Please let me know what you need - glad to help!

2. southerngal39

southerngal39 Well-Known Member

Count me in as well Jen. I can also help as well with wrapping and pickup and deliveries if you need help there as well.

3. frugalmomoftwo

frugalmomoftwo Well-Known Member

J & I are in as well. Just let us know what you need, Jen. :)

4. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

Tony and I in. I would rather buy a gift or cook. Just keep us posted..

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

It's wonderful that I have all these folks volunteering to help, however...

I still need some nominations for needy families. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there weren't any?

6. frugalmomoftwo

I nominate the Women's Shelter in Smithfield for at least a portion of our donations. They have a Chistmas Assistance Program and we can adopt individual families. They will tell us the ages and sizes of the kids just like the Angel Tree programs. I think this would be an excellent use of the 40/42 Angel donations.

I have already spoken with the Shelter and am waiting for a return call with the details and the number of families who need assistance. I will post when I have more info so they can be considered for this years 40/42 donations.

Mission Statement
    Harbor, Inc. provides help, hope and safety to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault 24/7.

Description
    We provide shelter, transportation, re-location assistance, advocacy, support groups, court and hospital accompanyment to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Good call, FMO2.

8. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Jenn,

Check your PM's.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Great idea - Jenn you ought to consider that one. Are you gonna list the info on those that are being considered (not names of course but their circumstances) so everyone can vote or whatever on where the help should go? i cannot remember if you have done that the past couple of years and am too lazy to research it.

10. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

We would love to help as well. I'm not sure of any families right off hand, but I agree with Harbor, Inc.

11. Tit4Tat

What about a family that needs a thanksgiving meal? Anyone in on that one. Maybe the same family?

12. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I know the basic needs ministry up at 40/42 provides much needed services to the community and they even have a food pantry. Maybe we could stock their pantry a bit as well so they can continue giving back to the community? Just a thought.

I know Harbor House in Smithfield like someone said. But a few years ago the Girl Scouts took them on as a project. They had tons of stuff as it was many troops. My daughter was in one of the troops and I helped deliever to the house. It's a great organization but they do get many places to help over Christmas time. I'd double check to make sure they need the donations. I know they can always use donations just at Christmas time there are many stepping up to help. Again, I haven't been in a long time so I don't know what's changed. Just wanted to mention it.

Any other organizations locally that people know of or individual families? Oh, you might ask the schools. When we went to Cleveland Elementary one year, they donated anoymously to families in need w/in the school. Parents picked up the items. It was a wonderful program.

Thinking out loud here and hope you don't mind. Got to run. Let us all know so we can all start helping/ wrapping/ making food/ etc. I LOVE the idea of making Thanksgiving Dinner for someone's family!!! I vote a yes on that one.

Oh, maybe Habitat for Humanity Houses??? I've done some volunteer work for them as well and at Christmas, they do feed the families and do presents.

Have a great week!

Stephanie--mom to 7

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people on this list take advantage of triple coupons to get free or low-cost stuff that they donate to Basic Needs Ministry, whenever LF or HT has triples.

14. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I never even thought of this! Great idea to do. Keep the ideas coming as I think all of us on this board can do quite a bit of good for the community this Christmas time and all year long for that matter. Lowes is having a grand opening now w/ all kinds of deals. Are we doing a meal for Thanksgiving too? If so, I may go there to get some items. That is just a great idea KDsGrandma.

I do know one family. A single mother to 5 children. --Going back to school and doing quite a bit to keep things going. I know she is really worried how to provide for the children this Christmas. I have more details about the situation but wouldn't feel comfortable posting publically. I do know this family could definitely use an extra hand.

Again don't know how all this works, it is my first year participating.

Take care,

Stephanie--mom to 7

15. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

What about adding or including the Clayton Animal Shelter, we can donate food, treats inc/

16. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

People!

I still only have one nomination, there have got to be needy folks in our community.

To address some of the other posters.

Although there are several worthy organizations in our area, I prefer not to give our donations to an organization. Let me explain why. What we've tried to do in years past is help families that wouldn't be able to get help somewhere else.

Most of these organizations have long waiting lists of folks who need help, or deadlines that you have to apply by, etc. None of which is a bad thing.

But think of the family that had an unexpected illness or car accident, or loss of job, etc... Maybe they've missed the deadlines, or don't qualify for help with a formal organization? This is where we've focused in the past.

I hope that helps a little, and if you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Also, I need 4 people to volunteer to be help me make a decision on the family/families we pick. I've decided it's better to work in the form of a committee, than deciding all on my own.

Any takers?

17. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

I love the Basic Needs place!
    The first time I was in there (btw-thanks to this board for telling me about it!) I bought like 7 purses. The man told me how many meals that could feed for what I spent.
    Seriously, it bought tears to my eyes.

I honestly did not know they took food donations.

My SO and I hit hard times these past few months with the job loss. We were worried we would not be able to afford Christmas for our daughter but things took a turn for the better today so it looks fortunate enough for us. We did have to take a food donation from a wonderful church in which we plan to donate back next week. Its wonderful when you hit rock bottom that there are places you can turn to for help.

Since fortune has taken a turn for us, count us in for any sort of donation. It might not be such since we are still picking ourselves up, but its the least we can do! I can speak from experience, you have no idea how grateful you are to total strangers who reach out to you in need until you've been there. We have always donated in the past, it was weird for us to have to be on the other side for a change but we really felt blessed for what help we did get.

I also love the idea for the animal shelter as well!

Count us in!

(PS- Just for the record, I purchased the purses way before the unexpected, unplanned for job loss.)

18. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I would love to help any way you need Jenn. I would also like to be on the 'committee' if there are any spots available. If not just tell me what I can be used 'best' for and I am on it!!!

19. frugalmomoftwo

I spoke with an area social worker today about a family here in the 40/42 area who has been identified as being in need. They have 4 kids ages 6 and up in local schools and need clothes and toys for the holiday. I am waiting on more details about the situation and should have them in the next couple days. Once I do, I will post or let Jen know, depending on the circumstances.

I think this family meets the criteria a little better than Harbor.

20. Tit4Tat

I just put in a "nomination" that I hope will be considered.

I WANT to be on this committee. I have extra time on my hands for this!

Please consider the nomination. Thank You!:-:))