42 and Cornwallis?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I suspect that most of what you see unoccupied is the result of local folks who own the land or acquire the land and think they can cash in. They are usually novices at this sort of thing and put up architecturally disjointed buildings. It is only until after that they realize they need renters.

I believe this will be the case of the SW corner of this intersection. My suspiscion is the Hummer guy had some of the land and finally got his hands on the last piece. Now, it is full steam ahead.

I might also add that a lot of the empty office space is always sucky. It has poor visibility or backs up to the back end of another building. Folks around here just build anything any which way. Have parcel, will build.

2. mslusk

mslusk Well-Known Member

...which is really too bad because the area is very pretty. It's one of the reasons we moved here (cows & horses in open rolling fields, etc). Now, we knew very well when we moved in that things would change, but we didn't know that it would be done hapazardly. There seems to be some empty space up at the shopping center across from Lowe's (where Shooters is) - wouldn't you think that renters would go to a place that is (1) ready for move-in, and (2) in more direct access to a whole lot more people? I'm not sure why we have to have a strip mall on every corner. The town's not populous enough to support all of them, right?

3. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

The problem with the space across form Lowe's is that the spaces are too big for most small businesses, the rent is way too high and the traffic or business draw is too low. It's really strange but the majority of the population lives on west side of 40 and the only grocery store being Food Lion, not too many people venture over to the east side. The east side is more of a "destination" side (go there, get it, go home) and the west side draws more shoppers. Also, most people either travel 42 west home from Clayton and turn on Cornwallis/White Oak or they travel 40 east to 42, turn right and never visit the east side so they tend to miss that whole area. It is almost a "no-man's land". I have seen more businesses struggle or fail on that side of 40 than on the other side. So, putting a shopping center of some sort on the corner of 42 and Cornwallis is a smart business decision, in my opinion. Did I like to see that house demolished...no way. When it was for sale, I thought of buying it if it did not need so many repairs. I would have loved to have the land and build a new home there. Such a beautiful piece of land.

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The center across from Lowe's is a dump. How about that empty lot right in front with nothing but weeds? There are no quality buildings around here. By quality I mean well built, well positioned, well landscaped, or well maintained. The nicest so far is what backs up to Golden Corral, but it is so hidden no one sees it.

5. blusdrmr

For once, Harvey....I agree with you.

6. This is why the Cleveland community needs to incorporate. So that we can manage our own growth, instead of letting someone who doesn't even live here manage it.

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

The empty lot with weeds is owned by Cook-Out. They pre-fab their restaurants, so if/when they start, it won't take long to get the smell of burgers and fries in the air.

8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

The reason it needed so many repairs is because it was being marketed for commercial use. Why spend money to use as a residence when it will be demolished? 'Course if you got that kind of money(they were asking $500,000 for the house and about an acre of land, think they got @ $460,000) you can do what you darn well want to with it! The 20 or so acres they're putting the shopping center on was being offered for @$125,000 per acre, so for around $3 Million bucks, plus some spare change to fix up the house, the whole corner could've been yours, and they could've been your cows swimmin' in the pond!!!

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

@$125,000 per acre
    WOW!

10. trailblazer

trailblazer Active Member

incorporate cleveland

That is the best thing I ever read on this website. We really should incorporate the Cleveland Community. How does a town incorporate itself?? I would help!

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I see you still haven't lost your grasp on your inability to puntuate or capitalize properly.

Although, I hate to see the country setting go I would like to have a decent grocery store at this corner. I think if it is done right it could be very fitting, but I have my doubts as to whether it will or not. It would be real nice if they employed a little of the multi-use planning that is common now and work in a few bike paths or something to surrounding neighborhoods (reduce traffic). I have a bike with a basket and a bell all ready to roll.

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

You're a day late and a dollar short. The GCCC tried 5 or 6 years ago and fell flat. The first step was getting a name and that couldn't even be agreed on.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's cuz they kept making up **** that had nothing to do with the area, and IIRC the incorporation was more for businesses than people and the locals could have cared less.

I'm stil looking for those Cleveland Springs myself.....

14. EngNCSU

EngNCSU Well-Known Member

I got some names for you:

Wal-Trash
    Wal-Dump
    Wal-gridlock

or

Cleveland Springs, incorporate, and make our own decisions about we want to get
    crapped on by people like Wal-Mart.

15. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

Wish they would have plopped those trees over here in my yard:mrgreen:

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

5 or 6 years is a lifetime for an issue like that. i can't believe i've already lived out this way for 10 years....so much has changed. that's 5 or 6 years worth of new residents (hey, tell a yankee that you're trying to drag the backwoods hicks into the 21st century by forming an actual town, and 9 out of 10 of them will be on board), and people who have newly decided it might be to their benefit as they see some of the things they were warned about 5 or 6 years ago coming true...

17. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

I'm seeing more and more homeowners are putting their house up for sale, especially surrounding Cleveland business area. Know any reasons for it? My guess would be to get a big buck from developers??

18. gooberama

gooberama Guest

I'm not sure incorporation would help, haphazard or no planning and the continuing look of an exit off the Interstate seems what the area is destined for. Look at Clayton, I really don't think they have done a very good job, especially with the way the area looks around the Walmart. There has been construction equipment sitting there rusting since Walmart was built. A the Grand Canyon looking erosion of bare clay all over that area. Just goes to show you Walmart will invest the minimum in their site and doesn't care how it looks unless forced to. Don't expect anything different when they build their 40/42 dump.

19. tigerlily

tigerlily Well-Known Member

new construction on cornwallis

im glad its not another gas station coming there. even so im hoping this area of 42 doesnt turn into mini city capital blvd. remember tarrymore square and starship shopping centers they built on capital? they used to be filled with uptons and some nice stores now they are mexican related crap, during the ice storm fema even had enough space at starship to carry on business for months. i sure hope this area doesnt end up like little mexico in ten years when all these sh tty strip malls on 42 are built. personally i love the cows grazing next door.

20. blusdrmr

Would have been nice to have and have the OPTION to have cows swimming in the pond. (grew up on a farm...not very fond of cows unless they are lying on a plate medium-well) The land, however, would have been nice to have....