Looks like I'll find Osama bin Laden before I can buy a Wii

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

DD who also has a b-day in Dec declared she wanted a Nintendo Wii game system for her b-day or Christmas.

I naively said "no problem" before I realized what it actually took to get one of these much-in-demand pieces of technology.

Like I said, I'll have a better chance of finding bin Laden in a "spider hole" in Wake or Johnston Co than I will of scoring one of these systems - at least in the short term.

I refuse to camp out in the middle of the night on a wing and a prayer that some truck from somewhere will have some Wii systems on it AND I'll be one of the few far enough up in line who get one that day.

So, DD is getting a lesson in supply and demand and patience.

Anyone have any luck?

Reminds me of the Cabbage Patch doll days, which I had no part of, and the chaos that ensued.

Looks like Nintendo could ramp up production a little more, but they may be maxed out. I don't know.

Could be a marketing decision.

Either way, you just seem to have to be at the right place at the exact right time.

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I am confused, they are everywhere....in stock...Best Buy up at White Oak has a Christmas tree tower of them in the middle of the aisle, they are all over the internet available too....so you're referring to the price? right?

:?::?::p

3. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Negative, I'm talking about the Wii game system, the brains that the games run on.

That's what I can't get.

Lots of accessories, games, etc.

Just not the CPU, so to speak.

4. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

Classifieds

Description
    I have a wii game console with original box, all cables and cords, two controllers, two nunchucks, wii sports game, and need for speed carbon. The system is in great condition only played a few times. I am asking 350.00. If interested please email at nb_7404@hotmail.com

5. KellBell

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'd love to know where there are stacks of them! DH was in Walmart yesterday AM and they got 22 of them in on the AM truck, they were gone within the hour and he didn't get one. They said people come in every single day to see if they got any. I can't fathom that Best Buy has "stacks" of them. :confused: It is the single most sought after gaming system right now. Stories about the "shortage" all over the net. I won't pay an inflated price either, maybe they will be available by the summer for DS's B-Day.

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Appreciate the tips Rost and Kellbell. I'll check them out once after I get back from a short errand.

It seems the initial price was around $250 for a new system. So I need to see if these prices are jacked way up.

8. KellBell

I provided 3 websites for those who want the things....just trying to help Kent out....don't know anything about the prices/demands....he said he couldn't find one, I showed he could. tis all.

and there was at least 20 of them in a stack in the Best Buy at White Oak on Saturday morning, December 1st at apprx. 10:30 am.

9. KellBell

on those sites, they were $500. I had not idea (til kdc mentioned) that prices may be inflated. Didn't know about the demand for them. I will still keep my eye out for all of you! :-D

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You must have been in the right place, at the right time then. We've been trying to get one at the list price for weeks. 8) You missed you chance to make some $$$$ :lol:

11. KellBell

ya know, I was just telling my fiance' about this little debate...and he was like, shoot we should have gotten one or two to sell....but see, I wouldn't want to make a gazillion dollars like that....maybe $100 though;)....looks like we missed out...dang it!:-(

12. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

My DH and I were at this store Sat. Dec. 1st around 11:30 a.m. NO Wiis to be found. We were told a shipment would be in Sunday, Dec. 2nd. I drove to the store at 9:45 saw a bunch (over 50) people waiting in line for the store to open. :shock: Shocked, I asked a man leaving if all those people were in line for the Wii and he said yes, that Best Buy had already passed out the alloted tickets and some standing in line for hours received nothing and were mad.

It's amazing to me that Nintendo is still creating this demand a year later. Doesn't bother them that a number of people are buying them just to turn around and sell them for a huge profit? Some are selling on Ebay for $700+!!

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

And anyone that pays that much has more money than sense in my opinion. 8)

14. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

DH got our Wii 2 weeks ago, in S'field at "Game Stop". He called them to see when UPS or FedEx would be delivering that day - say 4pm.. he was there then, they got like 6-8 Wii's and BAM we got one- no mark ups. Not $500.00. Expect them to sell out in 10 min;s.

It is VERY FUN. My 78 y/o dad & 70+++ step mom beat me to death in Bowling & Boxing tonight... and I have been practicing... Dang those active seniors! They kicked arse.

I was ultra ANTI video games before the Wii - but this is all action - you really work out. No sitting on your behind working your thumbs.

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like the FedEx/UPS guys are a good clue to key on. The mailman in my area told me he was in a store and the UPS guy came in with 2 Wii's and they left his hand straight to folks in the store as the mgr looked on.

16. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Dear sweet mother standing in line at Wal-mart in Wake Forest this morning.

Said she was 1st.

Waiting for "THE TRUCK" to bring a few Wii's in.

We'll see.

17. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Wii = Susks!!
    PS3 = Dosn't suck!!

18. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

I have one...I'm looking one for someone else..I love mine! Anyone who does pay the $500 is CRAZY. Gotta be at the right place at the right time.
    K

19. twowaz2fal

twowaz2fal Well-Known Member

I got mine last night on amazon.com using wiialerts.com. It's the way to go! You just have to move quickly once you get your text message.

20. m2475

m2475 Well-Known Member

We used Amazon too. Very easy!