Clayton XMas Parade

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Dec 9, 2007.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

there is a registration fee to be in the parade for pretty much everybody else.

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I said 'IT APPEARS' (meaning according to everything that is said, or read on here in my case) not my opinion, just a general statement. I could care less if their uniforms fit or not. :mrgreen:

3. KellBell

it was IMPLIED that they, WJHS Band, wasn't getting paid enough to be in it, the parade.

Least that's the way I read it....

4. dangerboy

right. when in fact, on the form you fill out to register for the parade, there's a list of the registration fees, which if i remember correctly ranged up to 200 dollars. point being most entities PAID TO GET IN< NOT GOT PAID TO BE THERE

5. Having read through the posts in this forum I thought I would clear a few things up about The West Johnston High School Marching Band. A few folks have floated the opinion that The WJHS Band is getting a bit "uppity" about themselves and I can tell you from personal experience that is far from the case.
    I have accompanied them to competitions (last year as a Chaparone) and am constantly amazed at the logitistics involved in moving such a large band. There is no just "grabing their uniform and instrument" and hopping on the bus.
    When WJHS Band competes, they cheer hard for their competition because they know the difficulty and effort required to do what they do. They drill hard and often. Their efforts have been rewarded with an invitation to march at the 2008 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. WHJS Band is one of five high School Bands accepted out of 300 applicants. The costs for this trip will be staggering.
    The WJHS Marching Band does not have an orchard of money trees growing somewhere behind their school. Despite the perception that all the cash they need falls from on high, the Band Parents work themselves ragged fund raising. These kids are extremely proud of their accomplishments, please be positive and support them in their efforts.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

But would that not be because they have a commercial interest and are effectively paying for an advertisement, that and to wish everyone a Happy Holiday Season? Keeping that in mind I could certainly see the school not doing this for free.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

WHAT? Are you ****ing kidding me? A High School band CHARGES to show up at a community parade??????

I've heard it all now.

8. Cleopatra

Are you kidding me? They are coming from Cleveland School, not NEBRASKA!!! Nobody paid me to take my son to West Johnston for his winter concert last weekend.

9. Cleopatra

Again, it sounds like over-engineering. They are going to downtown Clayton - not across the country. The parents are going to drive there and watch the parade anyway. Why not carpool? You know we got big trucks around here for the percusson, tubas and the like! 200 out of the bucket instead of 400, plus the pride of performing where your COMMUNITY and TAX PAYING SUPPORTERS can see you. Duh. Macy's is nice, but what about here at home? Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

10. claytonsassy

claytonsassy Well-Known Member

getting back to the topic at hand -- i thought the clayton parade was a bit lackluster this year too -- i wonder why ks bank and triangle insurance had an empty float--i am sure there would have been some non profit or civic group who would have loved to be in it--- i do appreciate the hard work of the chs band and the three middle school bands represented -- lord knows i wish i knew how to teach dance so i could open a dance studio -- mental math says those groups must be prosperous--i personally would like to see the candy done away with -- the litter created is awful -- maybe just santa's float doing candy...just something about this year's parade didn't quite live up to parades of years past

11. KellBell

Quiet down there Cleo, you didn't feel that pop on the hand? I got one, I am sure it was intended for you too.;) We need to just sit back and be proud of the kids in the community, even if we do have to pay to see them. :rolleyes:

12. Niese

Niese Well-Known Member

Cleopatra,
    If it were as simple as you're trying to make it sound, the Band would do it.
    Unfortunately it doesn't appear that you know exactly what you're talking about and have totally ignored the other posts trying to explain it to you.

It's just not worth it anymore to try to defend the WJHS band program. Some will simply ignore the facts and base an ill-informed opinion regardless.

That's a real shame. The kids, parents, and staff deserve more respect than that.

13. dangerboy

wouldn't performing in the parade gain them some good community support? which, in turn, might lead to more community financial support the next time they come knocking with a fundraiser? so, it costs them a couple hundred bucks to do it. with the number of people there, they could easily see that money returned many times over. seems like a good return on their investment to me. all of the businesses in the parade that paid to be there thought so...

14. dangerboy

yes, the businesses have a commercial interest. why wouldnt it work the same way for the band? they get themselves in front of thousands of local people, effectively paying for an advertisement. just the same as the businesses, they would do it in the spirit of thanks for the past year, and hope to achieve some good will for the next year when they'll be coming around with their hands out asking for money to send them to new york for thanksgiving...

15. Cleopatra

I call BS. I don't really see how it is necessary to load up the tractor trailer, for a ten mile drive when parents would be coming out to see their kids anyway (two birds - one stone). I didn't really see much of an explanation.... I went back and reread, nope - not much of an explanation. Seriously, did I miss something?

PS - do not tell me to "quiet down there" again. Thank You.

16. Cleopatra

Why isn't it that simple? I performed in marching band myself. I have not ignored ANY posts, in fact I have gone back and reread them looking for some sort of explanation. Why is it not this simple? Seriously, you need a bus and a tractor trailer to perform at a community parade ten miles from your home school? If a kid can carry the tuba or drum in the parade, it can certainly be transported via Dodge Ram.

17. KellBell

MY bad, I thought you could take a joke, since I was told to 'quiet down' too. :roll:

18. Cleopatra

Oh, I did just catch that. Sorry, I only got up an hour ago.... Only on my second cup of coffee. Shoo me off of here, tell me to take my kids outside!!!

19. KellBell

well get your tail outside then....woman! I was like,dang surely she could see the dry sarcasm in dat!

I thought I was the one that missed something.

Shoo shoo....LOL. ;)

20. Cleopatra

I honestly thought you were being sarcastic on the one hand, but conceding on the other and suggesting I do the same.