Changes Coming On Main Street in Clayton

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by PoohBear, Dec 10, 2007.

1. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

I noticed on Saturday the following businesses coming to Main Street:
    1) New Restaurant across from Main Steak House. I understand this will be operated by Betsy and Michael Grannis who own the Bed and Breakfast. She is a great caterer.
    2) "Mayberry" restaurant coming to location that had Jeme's and a new bar next door.
    Anyone know any more about these operations?

2. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

As far as I know it's called Mulberry on Main, not Mayberry. It's an italian place that pretty much looks the same as Venero's.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Across from Main Steak will be steak house operated by the Grannis's. Not sure of name, but will be based on the KISS system (Keep It Simple, Stupid),
    Supposed to open in January.

Opening in the old Jeme's (Have a Good day, Good Times) spot will be an Italian Restaurant, 'Mulberry On Main', a reference to Mulberry Street in NYC, the heart of the Italian District. Beside it in the bar area, I saw a banner this morning proclaiming 'Main Street Piano Bar' to be opening soon. Most of the fixtures/equipment still remains from the previous occupants of these 2, so look for them fairly soon.

4. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

A piano bar- -are we talking classy piano bar, or Rum Runners???

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Cool, dgsatman always have the inside info on restaurants/bars:-D

6. dgsatman

Either way seems awfully ambitious for Main Street C-Town. I wish them luck.As for the nightlife downtown, the more, the merrier! :cool:

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

A "Mayberry's" would have been cool, but a piano bar sounds fun too.

8. claytonsassy

claytonsassy Well-Known Member

i saw a menu for mulberry's i would say it was more traditional italian fare less americanized -- not so much like venero's

9. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

...Sounds ok...

But, I miss the saturdays, at the ripe old age of nine when mama would give me $5 and me and my friends would walk to town (about a mile) and spend it all at Jones's, Collins, and the Record Rack.

If I sent my kid now he might end up in a rubber bin at the bottom of the Neuse.

Sorry, my pessimism is showing. :neutral:

10. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

Oh, I remember Collins. The five and dime store. *sigh*.

Don't remember the Record Rack. Where was that?

11. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

If you are going down memory lane in Downtown Clayton does anyone remember?
    1) Wades Dime Store - It was in the building across from Chamber of Commerce which at that time was First Citizens
    2) Clay Theatre - It was in the building that now houses Flowers By The Neuse - even had a balcony! Western movies for 25 cents on Saturday morning. All the kids in Clayton were there.
    3) The father of Jones Cafe owner, Curtis Jones, had a pool hall about where Blackley's Printing is. Everyone knew him as "Taxi" Jones. He actually had a taxi before opening Jones Cafe.

12. dgsatman

Oh!!!!..... So that's where they sell those!!!! :shock::shock::shock:;)

13. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Well-Known Member

Speaking of Main Street..........

Have you guys seen the building that just got painted electric lime green........WOWSA!!!
    It's just too cool!!

14. dgsatman

That be my brother, the Sign Man. :mrgreen:

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's your brother?? Small world! He owns/owned the building the company I worked for was in, and I've used Signage for tons of stuff. He is hilarious!

16. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I asked him yesterday if he got a good deal on the paint? He laughed.

17. dgsatman

And also the kneepads...:shock::shock::shock:;)

18. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

GCoats3 - I remember Wade's Dime Store, the Clay Theater and Mr. Jones' taxi service. Also remember when the theater closed and Mr. Knott opened a skating rink! I worked there on Friday nights and Saturdays! Also remember when McLaurin's Funeral Home was located on Main Street! Good memories!

19. dgsatman

Danged!!! I knew Bucky was older'n dirt, but you sure told your age!!! ;)

20. stonecold

stonecold Guest

Hey Clayton is big time now, we have an Adam & Eve store!