Clayton XMas Parade

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Dec 9, 2007.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

100% sarcastic. :mrgreen:

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Whew. Now you're back on my good list. <wink> lol

3. KellBell

now get outside....;)

kidding....:lol:

4. Clif

Clif Guest

Fair enough.

Now, one question. Why the heck did I buy a dozen boxes of six year old candy bars (or whatever it was the band was selling?), as well as attend each and every one of their car washes paying twice what Auto Bell would have cost (not that they charged that much, I paid it because I believed that it would help defray the costs), plus whatever other fund raising event they held?

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I'm with Cleo on this one. The parents are going to drive to the parade to watch the kids perform anyway, why do you need a JC bus and JC bus drivers and gas to get there? Each kid gets there by carpooling or with parents.

And like Clif, I wonder what the heck the fundraisers are for, if it isn't to defray the costs of something like going to the community parade.

Hmm, I really would like to see a valid explanation.........

6. KellBell

ahhhh ya'll gonna get in trouble like me and Cleo did.....:shock:

7. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I liked'em better when I was in 'em.
    ..Except when I dropped my baton. :p
    [​IMG]

8. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

But I don't blame karl - he may not know the truth.
    The band does have a high and mighty attitude but they are very very good and no one can take that away from them. My problem lies where the band gets all the attention and no one recognizes what the other groups have done for the area.

ALSO,
    i know that several years ago parents were chastized about behaving poorly on field trips. Parents not students. i know that money raised in the community was used to replenish funds that were depleted due to an expensive field trip not used for the fuield trip themselves. The Band is an expensive group and it costs money to be in it and to afford lessons and band camp.

After watching several local christmas parades this season I'd rather see the community donate to the South Johnston High School Band. These kids try really hard but the don't even have matching uniforms and flags. The Flag girls just wore mismatching black tee shirts and the band memebers didn't all have hats. They are a very small band and live constantly in the shadow of the monolith that is the West Johnston Band. How would you feel if that was you or your kid and you see the entire community donating money to the already rich kids and you get nothing?

9. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Back not that long ago when I was at South, the band was kickin' I had a part in some of there competitions and we worked hard. I didn't didn't know they had gone aaah... errr downhill?? .. that much. And every single time we were in a parade my mom drove me or I drove myself.
    Sounds like West needs to get their heads out of the clouds. Humble pie needed.

10. KellBell

all ya'll gonna get it when them band folks get back on here, yep sure are, just ask Cleo....I hope you guys are ready, they are gonna sure get each and everyone of you.

ok ok, I'll put my fan down.....what can I say, I am in a mood today.:p

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

First of all - They don't use the tractor trailer for local events, they do use trucks and the buses to transport equipment. Second - it is county policy that students are not allowed to ride in personal cars for transportation (due to liability etc). Also - all the school bands (not sure about the Helping Hand mission) get paid something to be in the parade. I'm not sure why they didn't participate, but I doubt it was all because of money - might've been some other conflict. They were there last yr. and they will be in other parades.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Are you seriously saying it is against the rules for kids to arrive at a destination by private vehicle. They couldn't just all meet up AT the parade? :?

13. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

with most school functions like this they want all the kids to travel and to stay together. It's easier to keep track and for insurance purposes.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My, how times have changed. :shock:

15. bandmom

Can you imagine the law suits (not to mention the anguish) if a parent or student were driving a car/van/truck full of kids and had a wreck. (Like the 2 from Green Hope a few weeks ago going to an event and were killed). If they all drove themselves, where would they all park? They wouldn't know where to go etc if they're not familiar with the area. Traveling by bus is the safest and easiest way to transport 200 kids.

16. Cleopatra

I hope to hell they don't fire up the big rig for a ten mile commute... Can somebody explain this transportation policy to me? I could not find it. I understand kids not being in private (teacher owned/operated) autos on a field trip during school hours. But on the weekends, outside of school hours, in the care of their parents and on their parents health/car insurance plan?? Like I said... I drove my son to West Johnston last weekend for his band concert... I drove him to the Festival of Trees last week for the JCYO performance...

17. Cleopatra

Wouldn't these parents be attending this parade anyway, so where would they park then? It IS possible for people outside of the band to have wrecks and kill people too, you know.

18. bandmom

When we were at Cleveland middle and the jazz band had an event/competition in SC all the parents had to sign forms, prove they had sufficent ins because you can't take school buses across state lines and we couldn't afford to hire a bus, plus it was only about 20 kids.

19. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

I AM GOING TO STICK MY NECK OUT...

There are many "unwritten" rules for school groups. They also change according to the school and the group.

You folks who are complaining need to start volunteering at school with some of these groups to get a bird's eye view of what is going on.
    I worked with this band for 3 years and I could not believe the hoops we had to jump through to do some of the things we did.

OK - let the flaming begin...

20. Cleopatra

Good. I believe it is the law here in NC to have at least liability on an auto that is owned outright.