School Attendance

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MissTurtle62774, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Clif

Clif Guest

Actually they will, with permission from someone in the immediate family. But usually it's not necessary as an obit printed in a local paper will do.

2. NanaPam

NanaPam Active Member

You can get something for yourself and your children. Others, no. A few years ago we had an emergency and they called us home. The airlines wanted a note from the doctor / hospital. They wouldn't do it. Privacy.

3. Clif

Clif Guest

Ok, here it is in a nutshell. If it's someone close enough to you (ie, immediate family), either you can get the note from the doctor or you can ask someone to get the note from the doctor for you. If it's not someone close enough (ie, a second cousin, once removed), you have no business taking your child out of school for it, nor should they be excused.

4. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I don't know silly answer here, but I'd call the school and talk to the principal. His/Her answer is all that matters.

If my girls are sick of course they can miss, but if it's more than 1 day, then I get a doctor's note. We've planned family vacations before and I talked to the teacher's and principal in advance and got excused absence for them. I think we had to do something educational during our vacation and the girls had to do a report or presentation on what they learned.

My DH grandmother passed a couple years ago. I just sent him without us. It's just thought it was too hard for the girls to miss a week of school (12 hour drive) and have to make it up. She and my DH were close, but we both decided it was just too disruptive for our girls.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I had a situation where a number of Doctors would not even share info with me on my spouse for fear of HIPPA.

6. MisunderstoodMind

MisunderstoodMind Well-Known Member

Directly from River Dell Elementary:

Attendance Policy:

Policy Code: 4110 Attendance

Regular attendance is required by the board of education. All students must be present for a minimum of 91% of all class meetings to receive credit for a course during any grading period. That is, if absences from class exceed four per nine weeks, eight per semester or 16 per year, the maximum grade a student may receive for the grading period is F or 69, regardless of the reasons for the absences.

In order to be considered in attendance, a student (except for hospital/homebound) must be present in school or at a place other than school with the approval of the appropriate school official for the purpose of attending an authorized school activity, such as a field trip, student council meeting, athletic contest, etc.

Waiver

The principal may waive the 91% requirement in extremely unusual circumstances.

Appeal

Decisions of the principal with regard to attendance may be appealed in accordance with the

Student and Parent Grievances policy.

Legal References: G.S. 115C-36

Adopted: November 10, 1981

Amended: June 8, 1982; June 14, 1983; September 11, 1990; March 11, 2003

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

My neighbor's children missed A LOT of school last year and got promoted. This year it is not unsual for at least one of them to be home at least one day during the week. Yesterday, a school day, mid-morning they were outside rollerblading and playing basketball. How do they get away with it?

from the McGees Middle web site. The file is dated 2006-07 so you should verfiy if all the info. is current.

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Wow. Who is anybody to say whether somebody was close enough to the deceased to take their kids out of school, to attend their funeral and provide support for the living? This is very arrogant.

9. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Those would be the same people who tell you that you cannot pick up your own children after 2:15 :?

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

*snort. Watch.Me. :)

11. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Check...double check...and triple check what dates the school shows your kids out of school. Keep track yourself on a calendar, because they often are not correct.

My kidlet and 2 other students were given permission to be gone 1/2 a day to go to the school system's printing office to get the Art calendar printed. All of us parents had to sign permission slips and the teacher's whose classes they would miss also had to sign and give permission. We had all the slips and they were turned in.

I got a call from the "electronic" biddy that evening telling me she missed 3rd and 4th period and had been marked "unexcused." Took me a week to get it straightened out. The two teachers said they didn't mark her absent in their books and that they knew from the slips they signed that she would be out that day from their classes, and no one could account for the 'error'. I'm betting that the person in charge of attendance record-keeping is doing too much chatting while working, instead of paying attention to her data entry.

I've heard that the reason the schools are so abrasive about attendance is that their funding depends on attendance. If a kid misses too many days a semester, they are not counted for full attendance for the semester and it affects funding. I don't know if this is true or not.

12. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

All you have to do is write a letter stating why your child missed, and it should be waived. It is not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. If they're legit excuses, you're fine. These rules are made for the people who abuse them.

13. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

NCLB funding depends on attendance.

14. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Ahh...arrogant they are. My daughter was sick as a dog with a sinus and ear infection, and I told her to stay in bed. She chose to drag herself out of the bed and go ahead to school for the last 2 periods because she knew they were covering material that she felt she couldn't miss. She got there right as 3rd period started and since they take roll in class, she just went straight to class instead of to the attendance office thinking that would suffice.

I sent her to school the next day with a note explaining she was home ill, with permission, for the first 2 periods. My daughter called me from school and said the attendance woman refused her note and told her she would be marked absent and unexcused for the entire day. I called and talked to this woman, and she said that because my daughter didn't check in at the attendance office when she got there the day before, she was refusing the note! I asked if she showed my daughter there for the last 2 periods and she said the teachers had not marked her as absent for those 2 periods. I asked her how, then, she could mark her absent for the entire day. She said "Because she didn't check in with ME before going to class, as far as I am concerned she was out the entire day."

I argued with this woman for 10 minutes. I explained why my daughter didn't check in at that attendance office, and that she knew for next time that she must do so. I told her illness was an excused absence and that I was the parent and I had provided a legitimate note for an excused absence, and she was to mark it as excused. She got very arrogant and rude...and still refused.

I called back and spoke to the principal and got it straightened out, but I was flabbergasted at the attendance woman's arrogance and assumation that she got to decide subjectively whether or not a parent's note was to be accepted. I told the principal this, but she didnt' seem to give a hoot one way or the other.

15. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

With a legit excuse, I don't think the time off would be in question of failing.,, Your child still has to do the work and the homework missed and if he doesn't learn it, then that is why you fail.

16. Clif

Clif Guest

No, it's a simple fact. If you are close enough to your second-cousin once removed, then you would be able to either get a note from the doctor or have someone who is immediate family to that person get the note.

What gets me, though, is that y'all are complaining that the school won't let you take your kids out for an extended time with out some sort of adverse action from the school. (an earlier post says 16 days per year, that's over three weeks) Try doing that at work and see what it will get you. At the least you won't get paid, at the most you'll get fired.

17. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

no true - those days are gone - now we are saddled with over zealous administrators who constantly ignore everything but their own thoughts and ideas. Parents are no longer part of the equation.

i am getting ready to make another phone call over to happy land. Man, I know they hate me...lol

18. NanaPam

NanaPam Active Member

Some of you think we are kidding about being out but it is not like it used to be. It used to be if your grades were good and you were out, then no problem. Now, it is an entirely different world and you are dealing with a whole different set of rules.

My info came from the county office. After so many days, it does not make any difference what the excuse is. They do not make exceptions. I told him that my g'son was honor roll and I was told it made no difference. They have to have a certain number of hours in each class. Period! I told them if he had the flue like he did the year before he would just have to go to school. If they wanted to dictate on how we care for our children then they would have to care for him when he is sick. My g'son said if I died he would have to do his homework on my casket. It is a constant worrying about him getting sick, someone dying or family in other states becoming sick. Too bad.