Clayton XMas Parade

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Dec 9, 2007.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Thats different in the you the parent drove your son. If each parent would drive their child, or each child drove themself I suppose they could do that, that's not the case. Not all parents go to everything, some parents/chaperones ride the buses etc. It just makes better sense to load them up and make sure everyone gets there okay. It's just too bad that with a large group it takes 6 buses, plus driver costs and gas.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ah ha! So it's not against the rules to take your own child to one of these events, that's what I was trying to find out.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, didn't make sense - did it?

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Not to me, but that doesn't mean anything, sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake! :oops:

5. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Yeah and you would figure to show their support for the community help they do receive they would make half an effort to go to a Christmas parade. And by half an effort they could say those of the band folks that can get their parents to drive them there do so. And if you can't attend, that's ok.

Every single parade I was in with the SJ band, I got there by my own means. The only time we packed up was to go to FB games and competitions.

6. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

It all comes back to "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." Don't expect the community to give to you if your not willing to give to the community. Plain and simple

7. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

the ROTC kids are helping with a benefit breakfast for the Raleigh Rescue mission on Thursday. I try to encourage them to give back as much as possible because it is but for the grace of GOd that we all have as much as we do and that could change in a heartbeat.
    In the Spring the kids did yard clean ups. THis week they are working again on their road. They have a section that needs to be cleaned. Just a small community thingy but every bit helps.

I am not sure, but I do think that the band does stuff too.

8. iDidIt

iDidIt Well-Known Member

Well said E. I have a feeling that the folks complaining have no idea what it's like to try to get all those kids, equipment, uniforms, etc. to an event. I'm sure it's not as simple as just jumping in the car and throwing the instrument in the back seat and taking off.

9. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

That's exactly how easy it was for me when I was in band at SJHS. The band director made sure all the large school owned equipment got there somehow. Many times we borrowed a cargo trailer from a parent. You do whatever it takes to play for your community.

10. I have to respond to an emotional undercurrent that keeps appearing in these posts. That would be the perception of WJHS Band as somehow having a “High and Mighty” attitude. In the middle of the where’s and whys about the Christmas Parade, that keeps getting slipped in, usually with a “bless their hearts” kind of caveat added on.
    I have been among the kids in the band room while they prepared for performances and competitions. I have cut the fingertips from hundreds of gloves and watched them scramble, drill and stress. I’ve been with them on the return trips when they have won and when they have lost. WJHS will give a jaw dropping College level performance, still be critical of themselves and then haul off and cheer for their competition.
    Say what you will about the economics of the Parade, but attempting to put an arrogant face on the Band is unfair and untrue.
    Been there, I do know what I am talking about.
    On a lighter note, the Parade? I love the Fire Trucks, the Helping Hand Mission (always a standout) and I usuallly cringe whenever that guy hits the hot air balloon burners. I’m always afraid I’ll see a power line go poof! Also, I’m not a hard candy kinda guy so my personal fantasy would be for Snickers bars to be tossed out, but hey that’s just me.

11. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

My daughter was in the parade in a school band. It was the parents responsibility to provide transportation to/from the parade. We took her and found her group and then went to the end, so once she finished we could leave.:mrgreen:

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's how easy it was for me, too. Look, here's my old band now -

http://www.roseville.ca.us/news/displaynews.asp?NewsID=785

OMG, they are playing for the Vets in the community.... Go figure.

Look - they played in the Roseville Holiday parade - http://www.rhsmusicboosters.com/ Go figure again

HAHAHAH - look what I found under the minutes from their meeting in Nov 12 - A volunteer is needed to drive the band van carrying some equipment and the ID boards to the starting point (Pratt St.), then to Roseville Square.

The spaghetti dinners, I remember those. They were fun!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  13. kookookacho

I believe it's safe for me to say that the vast majority on here aren't putting down the band's performance by no means. I'm sure WJHS band can blow a good horn. What we are saying is we drove ourselves, are y'all too good to drive yourselves? Even for your own community.

No need to answer that with another post patting yourselves and your kids on the back... we get it. You guys can perform...for the right price.

14. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

Soo is it okay if when the band is selling dough-nuts next time and they ask me if I want any? To say" no I need to be paid at least 10 dollars to buy a box to support the band" I mean its the same mentality they want to get paid to aupport the home town and I want to get paid to support the band.

15. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I think you guys are missing the point here. Didn't you read the above post? It cost money for the band to go anywhere whether it is 10 miles or 10,000 miles. If you do the math and figure 6 buses x gas x $1/mile x bus driver fees, that adds up to a lot more than $200.

If they have enough band members to fill up 6 busses I can certainly understand why they want them all to go together. Can you imagine that many kids trying to get to a meeting place?

They are an awesome band (15th in the NATION) and I just feel like you guys are giving them a bad rap. We should be proud of them and show our support as much as we can.

And for the record, I do NOT have a child in the band but I do have a WJHS student.

16. kookookacho

And Michelle, you are missing the point. The parents got them to the school where the 6 buses are, right? Why couldn't they drive them to a location by the parade? A central meeting point so these teenagers won't get lost, heaven forbid.

Wow. 15th in the nation. Thanks for the props for the WJ band. Again.

17. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

Remember...

the post about liability????

Also Bandmom. Are you sure they were going to pay the band to come to the parade? If there is a contest and you win, then you get paid if there is a monetary prize. I do not remember getting paid to show up for a parade.

18. Clif

Clif Guest

Same question back to you? Didn't you read the above post? I buy candy, wrapping paper, pay for car washes, etc, etc, etc. You do the math. They should have enough money from what I, and others in their home town, pay for all their little fund raisers to fly around the world first class. A couple of hundren bucks for one trip to a local Christmas parade shouldn't be a big deal.

19. kookookacho

So let me get this straight. It is the bands/schools fault if I drive my child to a parade and I get in a wreck of some sort driving my child to a school function. The school is responsible?

Y'all seriously must think we are a village of re-My Friend.

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Ya'll are getting WAY off the point. As far as liablity, I'm not referring to the school being responsible if you have a wreck in your car with your child. I'm referring to if you volunteer to drive a car full of kids and you have wreck, injuring or god-forbid kill someones child, don't you think those parents would try to sue you? Or worse yet a teenager driving themselves and wrecking cause they're running late? Those with provisional licenses can only carry one other person anyway. And if something like that happened, they would probably say that the school should have provided the transportation.

I see is as simple logistics. Does Clayton need approx 200 more cars trying to park where they can get to the parade?