Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Am I always the last to know? This place is awesome! Zoo, I got to try some stollen there yesterday. They had gingerbread house kits imported from Germany, only 6.99

Milk was 3.69 a gallon, rBST-free. They had alot of neat stuff, the TJ brand canned chicken noodle soup was like Chunky/Progresso - only it was 1.10

Anybody shop there? What is your favorite item?

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

A friend of mine shops there, I think in Cary? Is there one around here? I've never been, but she swears by it...Is it like an Aldi's?

3. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Where is Trader Joe's? We got a Gingerbread house from Walmart for under 10 bucks. Came from Canada. I hope it was safe for the kids to munch on because they couldn't wait to tear into it. And it was so pretty...

4. wolfcub

wolfcub Well-Known Member

The one in Cary is in the Old Winn-Dixie Shopping Center at Kildaire Farm Road and Cary Parkway. They just opened one in Durham and there is one slated to open at Wake Forest and Six Forks Road in the same Shopping Center with the Taco Bell and Melting Pot.

5. Cleopatra

Right at the corner of Cary Pkwy and Kildaire Farm Rd.

It's on the way to my son's orthodontist. I haven't been to Aldi's - but I don't think it is like them. Lots of imports/organic - but CHEAP considering the products they have, I guess they order direct - no middle man.

http://www.traderjoes.com/

6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

they also carry "two buck chuck", charles shaw wines that cost 1.99 per bottle and outperform 100 a bottle wines in taste tests.

7. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

You just beat me to that thought...it's pretty good! We like both the cab and the chardonnay.

8. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

We love Trader Joe's. We drive up there at least once a month.
    Famous for "2 Buck Chuck wine". They have black pepper seasoned potato chips that are delicious. I could go on forever. You must visit the Trader Joes in Cary.

9. Cleopatra

I'm going to make weekly trips, and stock up on the milk at least... and the wine db. Oh, and the pies. Strawberry/rhubarb 6.99. Ya know what else is super cheap? Cereal! I got TJ brand natural peanutbutter (you know stir/refrigerate) for 1.69. Smuckers Natural is usually 2 something. I have't tasted it yet, but I'll let ya know.

Here is the site for the Gingerbread house, mine is similar.

http://www.pertzborn.de/produkte/weihnachten/uebersicht.html

10. Cleopatra

I know, I could too!

11. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Okay, thank you. I know now what I am doing this weekend. :D

12. Cleopatra

Did I mention the TJ brand oreo cookies I got? With candy cane mixed in with the icing?

I'll let you know after "snack" when the girls get up, how those were!
    I was surprised I only spent 30.00.

13. frugalmomoftwo

frugalmomoftwo Well-Known Member

I LOVE TJ's! The two buck chuck (Charles Shaw) wine is quite good for the price. I have even used it for parties and it was very well received. I like the Chardonney and DH likes the Merlot. The tofu is very good and a great price - much less than grocery stores. The milk just went up in price but is a very good deal. I am completely addicted to the TJ's brand Creamy Tomato Soup. I buy it whenever I am in Cary, which is usually weekly. The 3 flavor flax seed tortilla chips are also very tasty with a good dose of flax seed.

Now, if only they would consider Johnston County for a location....... will we always be ignored by grocers like HT and TJ's????

14. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Great. . .now I have got to drive to Cary - lol!

How was the stollen? No matter how good it is, nothing beats homemade warm and fresh from the oven - so do try that recipe ;) But, I think with a bit of arm twisting, I'd have to give their stollen a try.

Read your other posts Cleo, love natural peanut butter - for me and the mutts - they have theirs mixed w/plain yogurt - and in other biscuit recipes - that's a great deal!

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheap wine, that's tasty :shock: it may be worth the ride in spades!

Aldi has some German imports - their choc sponge cake rocks, as does their strudel - have only tried the apple. The have frozen swine schnitzel, but while it' good, doesn't hold a candle to homemade.

15. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

This was their gingerbread house. Now it has no candies, no figures and no roof. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Awww, very nice and being eaten too! Great job!

17. Cleopatra

Oh, I'm definitely making the stollen. After a taste from a box (which was pretty tasty!), I KNOW homemade is going to be off the hook!

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

my favorite thing from Trader Joes is the sesame seed covered roasted cashews.....

to die for. on the 2nd aisle on the left.:mrgreen:

19. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

I have never heard of Trader Joes .I'll have to check them out.

20. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

The N&O had a article on Trader Joe's prior to their opening in Cary. I believed they described Trader Joe's cusomers as approaching "cult" status. We are not quite there yet but we really enjoy the purchases we bring home after each visit to TJ's.