Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Dec 12, 2007.

1. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

All right, I'll bite, whathehale is stollen,and if it's so darn good, where has it been all my life??? :?

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

It's been in Germany! I's a sweet bread with raisins, currants, almonds. They were giving out samples at TJ's yesterday.

3. NCGIRL

NCGIRL Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law is the Manager at the TJs that just opened in Chapel Hill off Franklin St. When I see him at Christmas I will ask if there are any plans for a TJs out this way. It is doubtful in the near future, but as quickly as things are developing around here....maybe one day.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I love Trader Joes.. I have loved Trader Joes for atleast 13 years... we had one near a place I worked up North. It was one of the great things I missed when I moved here. They find a good product, and work with the manufacturers to put their name on it, elminate the middleman so that they can keep their prices lower. You'll notice almost everything has their name on it. I think they are 10 times better than Aldi. They're frozen foods are good too, Jasmine rice, coconut shrimp, green beans. I actually have not tried the $2 wine, but I've heard its not too shabby! They do have great cheeses, and the expensive ones that they're always cooking with on FOODTV for reasonable prices (compared to Lowes). They have great specialty cookies above the freezer cases.... YUMM! Up north, TJ's is not just a grocery store, but an institution! They did just open another one in the area, someone said Durham, but its in Chapel Hill. I can't say I go out of my way to go there, but if I'm in the Cary area, I'll hit it!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. cdd

cdd Well-Known Member

6. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one who doesn't know what they are talking about. I thought Cleo had stole something and was telling us about it! :oops:

I really need to get out more . . .

7. hinkypuff

hinkypuff Well-Known Member

Yeah, I doubt it too. I would love to see a Trader Joe's in Clayton, but seems like most people are content with Food Dog and K-Roger :-(

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

BTW.. the cookies were awesome! Lighter texture than the oreo wafer, the cream was fluffier (and there was more) the peppermint was light - a little crunch here and there. Delish!

9. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

If the cranberry stollen sold at Trader Joe's is the best it gets they need to send it back. That's the only flavor they have.

10. new2nc

new2nc Active Member

Trader Joes is great! I was so happy to find one pretty close to here in Cary. They have a great deal on coffee beans - 2 lbs for about $7 total!

I read on this thread that there are Aldi's in the US? Are there any more than the one up in Wake Forest?

Also, has anyone been to World Market? They have a huge selection. Not the greatest prices, but definitely things you can't find elsewhere.

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Theres other Aldi's in Fuquay-Varina and one on 401 in Raleigh, in the shopping center at the 401/Capital Blvd split. Its near Davids Bridal. Not sure if there are any other local ones or not.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I am not sure what Aldi's are like outside the US, but in the United States they are definitely on the low end. Usually would not show up in the same thread as Trader Joe's or World Market.

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Yes, the Aldi in Fuquay is horrible. It's a dump. I am not quite sure how they are on the same thread either. Not even close in comparison.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Definitley not in the same ballpark... I just gave the info because someone asked...

:)

15. KellBell

LOL, I know girl....I just want that person to make sure they know, its from one extreme to the other. ;)

16. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I am the one that started in Aldi's in this thread...:shock: Only because I had never been to a Trader Joes and knew they sold their own brand, I was asking if it's the same as Aldi's...but now I know and will never make that mistake again!! :lol:

17. KellBell

I just didn't want you to go walking into Aldi expecting Trader Joes, and vice versa....then you would be mad! ;)

18. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

There are several types of stollen - the recipe that has been in my family for over 100 years is the stollen the family in the 'Old Country' made for Christmas - (the one I sent to Cleo) does not include cranberry.

19. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

20. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Okay, back to Trader Joe's.. ;)

Our family visited Trader Joe's for the first time over the weekend. We were SHOCKED at the prices! Wow. We got some banana granola bars (hard to find), banana waffles, a combo sushi plate, hummus, frozen jasmine rice, tea oil soap, bagel chips, toast crackers, brie and about a case & a half of Charles Shaw wine (the infamous 2 buck chuck wine) for a grand total of $54!

Seriously, the prices are well worth it. We LOVE the wine and everything there is just so good. We will definately be back!

So yes, definately check it out. We highly recommend the wine. :)