Makes me ashamed to be from Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by hinkypuff, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

You know I understand that portion. What I don't understand anymore is how we have strayed so far from allowing our children an education. If a kid does not like to read but they pick up a book...let's say The Hobbit and they just love and decide to read the whole series...just because there is some magic in the book should we take it away because it might go against our religious beliefs? It's hard and fine line to walk.

I never miss voting because I truly believe one vote matters!!

Grace

2. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ken!! too lazy to look it up...

3. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

The problem is public schools. No, Ken I don't want books about gays in the school library just like others don't want books by Mark Twain, but since the brilliant "higher ups" lump all communities together and know better than we do what is best for our kids, "centrally planned" public schools will always have these problems. That's why I think Giuliani's ideas on education are brilliant - our K-12 school system should exactly mirror our university system.

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

we're not talking about banning all but a certain kind of religious book. we're talking about adult/mature content. even so, if your representatives go too far one way or the other for your tastes, vote against them next time, voting for someone who believes as you do. if a certain religion begins to construct laws against other religions, again, you can vote to remove them.

or, as some have stated, you (used in the general sense) can choose to live in a community that is more suited to your belief system if you find that you have no effect on the community you are in.

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

LOVE the avatar SS!!!!

7. ServerSnapper

Self Portrait!!! After plastic surgery I feel like a new me!

8. Clif

Clif Guest

Yes, but the fact that the N&O labels it "Banning" doesn't make it so.

Oh, wait a minute. Aren't you violating the Constitution, free speech and all that? Besides, who decides that they are not mature enough? (so I don't have to keeop typing, just apply all your arguments here as well)

(and, directly to your first comment, what positions would elementary schoolers understand that you would find acceptable showing to them?)

All sarcasm aside, it really is the same thing. It was decided that sexual scenes, profanity, and drug use are beyond the maturity level at the school in question. Is it a violation of freedom of speech? I don't think so. No more so than restricting "Kama Sutra" would be.

Well, in this specific case, those who we deem responsible enough to be put in charge of our children.

Then you have to answer your own question, who decides what the maturity level of a child is, and whether or not a book containing sexual scenes, profanity, and drug use is acceptable.

Who should decide? You? Me? HinkyPuff? What happens of you're put in charge but I disagree?

9. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..... (*&%(#^$*%&^@)*$(#^%)@&_$*@%(&:evil:

10. ServerSnapper

After bringing so much attention to the books I am sure the kids will not want to go and grab them all up before they are gone!

11. Clif

Clif Guest

Suppose instead of "The Hobbit" the picked up "The Best of Letters To Hustler"? Would you be so quick to let him go on his merry way?

12. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

It's good but I think it's got a little bit of a weird funky spicy flavor to it. :)

13. Grace Slick

When banning starts where does it stop. If we censor for sexual content then someone will want a book censored for religious reasons (which has happened with the Harry Potter books in some districts). The majority of people don't vote and I think they should all have to move to one state and let the ones of us who do vote have fair representation.

Grace

14. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

that's just the worcestershire. you know it ferments if you leave it in the cabinet for too long. woohoo!!

once i was at the little burlesque sideshoe revue thing at the state fair (like 20 years ago) and there was this old black dude in an army jacket with an inside pocket sitting a couple of rows in front of me and every couple of minutes he's whip out this big quart size bottle of vanilla extract and take a shot or two....sorry, i'd never seen anyone catching a buzz on vanilla extract before. sut sure enough, the real stuff is like 40 percent alcohol. that's equal to whiskey...

15. Grace Slick

And, they should.

Grace

16. ServerSnapper

@#$%@#$@#$@@#$@#$@#$@#@#$@$#_______________, ____________, _________________ and ___________!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Clif

Clif Guest

What banning? Again, just because the N&O says it's banning, doesn't mean it's so.

The book is still available at book stores, Amazon.com, and, probably, even the public library. The book is "restricted" from this particular school (and should be restricted from all K-12 schools, based on the content described in the article), but it has not been "banned"

18. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Come again? What was that? I couldn't hear you.....

19. ShrtnSwt

On page 14 and stopping. Boring! LOL

20. ShrtnSwt

SS that was a sad movie. (referencing your avatar)