Makes me ashamed to be from Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by hinkypuff, Dec 14, 2007.

1. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

ha!

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

so the majority don't vote. in a way they help make the decision. maybe they don't vote because they are just fine with the way things go for the most part?

and if most people don't vote but you do, how exactly are they better represented than you are? your vote counts more because fewer people vote. but you still can't outvote the opposition? maybe that should tell you something. like that if you disagree with the community standards, that's gonna be a big bag of "tough" if you decide to stay. or, maybe you should use it as motivation to initiate a grassroots movement to get people out to vote for the things you believe in, although i'm guessing you probably already do that...

3. Grammie

Grammie Guest

OMG I went Christmas shopping today. I missed everything. Very entertaining reading though.

4. Clif

Clif Guest

I am bored with this too. I think I'll skip out early from work and do a little Christmas shopping.

5. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

The majority opinion was written by Brennen, Marshall, and Stevens, all very liberal ...so no wonder its a wrong idiotic decision. Rehnquist, O'Conner, and others had it right in their dissent. They said students can obtain the books elsewhere and don't have any rights to have certain books made available to them by public schools. They argued that these decisions should be made by local elected school boards and not by students and US justices.

Amen!

6. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

No, but since we were discussing the article (at least some of us) and the meaning behind what our wonderful school board is doing banning and censorship certainly apply.

Well, it seems to me that we have already decided who is mature and when because we already have set ages for grades and schools. Maturity in our society is based on that so education tags along, instead of the other way around.

Not jumping into this one.:-D

Was it not West Johnston High School? Maybe we should take out any books with what could be deemed as inappropriate architecture in them and so forth. Come on...a 15 year old has heard and seen more in today's world than when I grew up and some words my mother still doesn't know what they mean. To me it really depends on the context of the content.

Read the discussion with dangerboy on this area.

Darn people cannot decide who and when...please. Let's see in some district in Alabama the Harry Potter books are not allowed in the schools...forgoodness sakesssss!!!!

Grace

7. Grace Slick

Have you taken a close look at our school board? Do you really think they are capable of making this type of decision on a consistent basis? I sure don't but then again I would not want there jobs.

Grace

8. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

This boring?? NNNNNnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooway! Look at these animated and well thought out responses!!
    :roll:

9. mnredsky

Let's make it not so boring....ready?

You like my new avatar ? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Remember the gay prince book a few years ago? That WAS an elementary-aged book. It went bye-bye. I can't remember the name of it, or which county it was.

Can you believe Little House on the Prairie was banned at an elemetary school in LA because it was "offensive to indians"? Ummm... "Indians" is offensive. They are called Native Americans.

http://title.forbiddenlibrary.com/

11. ServerSnapper

That a Mt.Olive or a Vlassic?

12. mnredsky

Vlassic baby! Only the best for my doe....LOL

13. ServerSnapper

hmmmmm drag. I like Mt.Olive!

14. mnredsky

You would

15. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

While I do not agree with "book burning", I think that there is a place for "questionable" material - the public library - not the school library. I feel that if you choose to read certain material, it is well within your rights to do so. I also, as a parent of elementary school children, feel that it is MY responsibility to censor what I do no want my children reading. However, by putting it on the school bookshelves, I feel that these books are being given an endorsement from the school system which should not happen.

Karen

16. Grace Slick

Where is the line drawn? I say lock them in a room at home until they turn 18. Little House on the Prairie? For goodness sakessssss!

Grace

17. ServerSnapper

I should prolly buy stock. Between me and the boys. We throw down on some pirkles!

18. Cleopatra

Newbie? Please stick around.

That is all.

19. mnredsky

Here too...I buy the mega jar of them

20. Cleopatra

I know I read all of her books by the time I was 8, she was describing history through a youg girls eyes... Those were facts, not fiction. It's just the way it was. What's next? The Diary of Anne Frank?