Makes me ashamed to be from Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by hinkypuff, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

Funny you bring up The Diary of Anne Frank. That is an all time favorite and has been read alot in our house. I can see someone complaining about it because some don't believe in the Holocaust.

Grace

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't going to go that far.... but perhaps someone might find it offensive to Nazis or Germans even.

3. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

I guess I went that far because my daughter has a boy in her grade who does not believe in the Holocaust nor does his family. Now, each to their own, but that takes the cake. That is exactly why when you mentioned that book, that came to mind.

Grace

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

NNNOOOOOO...say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Little House on the Prairie!!!! My FAVORITE too!!!! I still watch the reruns if I happen to see them on....:oops: Oh yeah....I also have the first 3 seasons on DVD :oops:

Dang it.....and I only have little boys.....hmmmm I may need to borrow a niece to watch them with...

5. shar824

Oh yah...Cleo, I miss your Nellie avatar!!!!! :mrgreen:

6. Cleopatra

Rock on!! I've got the Little House Christmas Specials DVD, nanananananener!

7. shar824

Awwwww man!!!! Gotta put that on my Christmas list quick!!!! 8)

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

OK folks, please pardon my late intrusion. I go teach for a day, and WHAMMO..the fecal materials impacted the air circulatory device. I read every post. I'm torn between knowing that I'll never retrieve that amount of time and shaking my head in wonder over some of the comments.

Involved and engaged parents should know what the required reading lists are, and appropriately decide, for their own child what is allowable and what is not.

Some materials are plainly inappropriate for elementary students, but not middle schoolers, or high school. Some are inappropriate for elementary and middle school, but not high school. Some are inappropriate for some of the kids at high school that I’ve taught this week, based in their own lack of maturity.

I overhear the conversations that your kids have, between classes, during the class, when they are unaware that I can hear. I may appear to them to be engaged in another venue, but the Daddy ears I grew as a parent afford me the hearing ability we all have.

If you think your kids are not talking about things of a sexual nature, you’re probably wrong. Based on the pregnant students I have seen, it’s fair to say that some of them are actually doing the deed.

There are books written that have lasted generations, in which someone can find objectionable content. Use of the “N” word in Twain’s stories is an example. The brutality and mayhem expressed in Anne Frank’s diary is another. Certainly, taken out of context, the Song of Solomon can be considered inappropriate, based on the maturity of the audience.

If you object, based on knowledge of a book, that you don’t want your child to read it, by all means, say so to the teacher and find an approvable alternative. But, in your haste to protect your child, don’t expect to deny mine the grasp of fine literature by Twain, Orwell, Steinbeck, and others.

I want to thank some of you for the way your kids behaved and engaged in the learning process this week. Others…well…please consider home schooling your child.

<pressing “engage asbestos underwear in 3..2..1>

Flame on!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

HAT you should write a book!! I would buy it!

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

the books were a far cry from the tv show.

i still get a little misty thinking about that dog...

read the books. the whole set.

11. Cleopatra

Are you being funny again?

12. shar824

Yes, totally right about that, they were very different but I loved them both. Actually I even have the book written by her daughter Rose...

awww.....Jack......... poor thing.... ran over in front of Olsen's mercantile.......

13. ServerSnapper

No. I have the up most respect for Hat. He has shared very kind words with me in the past about my father and since that point I have really started to notice how his words flow. It's interesting to read. Humor, Sarcasm...It's all there!

I am truly being sincere!

14. dangerboy

i was thinking that in the book, they left him behind or dragged him for miles or something. it's been awhile

15. ServerSnapper

Old Yeller!! Now I cried reading that book!! Then I saw the movie!! Cried again!!

16. dangerboy

shane! come back! come back, shane!

17. dangerboy

always reminds me of the song old shep by elvis. *sniff*

18. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Imagine how much fun I have teaching..and the difficulty of having to restrain the level of smart azz that I have worked all my life to achieve. Seriously, thanks for the kind words.

Some of these kids are phenomenal...and I consider myself lucky to be able to be a small part of their education. For that opportunity, I am grateful. If they come home and begins to appear to ask questions, and develop a curiousity about anything that you may not expect, I hope that you see it's mostly a good thing. Embrace their curiousity. And, don't be afraid to the hard questions. They really are looking for your guidance, IN SPITE of trying to appear as if they don't want it.

Over the past weeks, I have covered at different schools, and in all subject areas. Your kids have kept me on my toes. I hope that I challenged them to do the same for themselves.

Props out to the teachers who do this day in and day out..

19. dangerboy

props out? you been hangin in the club wit fitty and kdsgrandma?

20. ServerSnapper

DB that made me laugh dude!