Makes me ashamed to be from Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by hinkypuff, Dec 14, 2007.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

all these old people talkin street (me included) reminds me of when my dad used to say "grody" cuz one time he heard valley girl by moon zappa

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

DB,
    Among many of the regional dialects, and languages I speak, I do occassionally get "with it." and whether they are laughing with me, or at me..I enjoy being with these students...
    Safe Weekend to all...I gotta go fire up a margarita blender..

3. dangerboy

"with it"? where you been hangin out? in some gin joint on the outskirts of town with mickey spillane?

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I was being funny... I thought Hat actually had written some books. :)

5. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

Have one for me! I hear you are teacher of the year. DD says you are so smart. Hope she did not give you too much to handle. Sometimes the apple does not fall far from the tree...she speaks her mind. And, she speaks highly of you.

Safe Weekend To Yours,
    Grace

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Cleo,
    C6 and I have written some. Thanks for remembering. Lest I get accused of advertising, I will refrain from any more reference to them via our website....
    H6

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

8. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

No, book burning results in NO ONE getting to read it.

What is being suggested here is that it not be made available to children via public schools. Any adult that wants to read it can have at it. But for children, that decision needs to be made by the parents.

9. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Went to Food Lion at McGee's today. There was a completely white headed man, who looked to be in his 60s, in a Camaro pulled up in front of the stores. He had his windows down and his rap was cranking! I couldn't stop looking at him and wondering what kind of crisis that is called, cause it sure isn't a middle aged one. :lol:

10. tawiii

tawiii Guest

What is a "coming of age" tale? Can you "ban" something from a school system and not society? Is a "ban" all or nothing?

11. dangerboy

that's where a young person does stuff that adults would do. like sex

yes

as far as the school is concerned, yes. but this is not really a "ban" so much as a restriction from minors. the book would still be available to adults in stores or the library

12. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

wow!!

You leave for a few hours & boom. I can't not believe what has been going on.

In regards to the article this is at WJHS. 10th grade Language arts with Ms. Faris(sp)

As I posted on the orignal thread
    This originally was discussed by board members starting with Mr. Fred & Dr. Parker back in October. They had a closed meeting. b/c of personnel issues. However, after careful investigation this meeting was not allowed to be closed. They only discussed THE BOOK in question. Now, In Friday's paper Mr. Fred has stepped down & Mr Carroll (?) is taking over as chariman of the board, (no pun intended).

See Mr Fred & Mr Parker made this decision for the entire County. Why do you think the last Board meeting this past Tuesday lasted over 8 hours.

Ok so like I said in the original post JOCO policy is if you feel something is not appropriate for your child at any level whether it is required reading or not then you don't have to read it. They can not & will not hold that against you. Yes, I know from past experience. What is offensive for one person may not be for another. Like Hatteras said walk around the HS listen to what this kids say. I mean it is amazing. same goes at middle school also they know alot more than you might think you do.

The bottom line here is that two people made this decision for the entire county & they were two people that do not need to be involved in or with the school system. Maybe that is why one stepped down already. We as parents have to take a stand for our children based on our morals. One book with some content is no worse that 1/2 the shows on tv or in the movie theatre or what kids are talking about. Heck when I was in the 10th grade we were required to watch Pink Floyd the wall & write about. This was in the 1985.

13. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your Post and updating us. I am in agreement with you on this. Glad someone finally realized that what they are doing on some decisions in not only common sense wrong but Constitutionally wrong.

Pink Floyd hum? When I was in school we had to listen to them on an underground radio station because the adults thought it was the devil's music and would never last. My, my how times changed.

Grace

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  14. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Understand, like when I had one for when I used to sell Partylite and someone HMMM came and IM me and asked if they could use the same one.
    Since I don't sell partylite anymore, it wasn't a big deal for me to change mine, can't get the one I have now anyways...
    Sheri

15. ready2cmyKing

Really? :cool:

Just funnin' with ya, I'll change it back!! :mrgreen:

16. rushlow2004

lol, well I knew you can take it, but why would anyone want a photo of my daughter, I thought it was funny that it was mentioned to begin with.
    Sheri

17. rushlow2004

Also I meant lol, sorry working on more coffee here..that you couldn't just go and find the same one on the net, since it was personal.
    Sheri

18. ready2cmyKing

Sorry I kept your daughter so long, I couldn't find where I had put the avatar I had before so I had to find a new one. :oops:

19. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

Grace- you are very welcome.

This thing that has happened at WJHS has been in the making for awhile just takes time to get it all out there. I just wanted to point out how "funny" it is that those two individuals think they can do what they want. Dr parker even said that someone would be I think disciplined. Funny how one stepped down now what about Parker he is responsible for this as well & needs to be held accountable

Voting does make a difference so everyone needs to see what we have working for our childrens school system

Pink Floyd--yes can you believe it then again I am not originally from here. NY is more liberal than NC

20. ready2cmyKing

I haven't had my first cup yet, which is probably why I couldn't find my old av. :-D

First cup, coming up!