A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Harley, if you are in a rental and not a rent to own, it should be the landlords responsibility to get someone out there to take care of your problem, not yours. You should not have to pay for this at all, unless it says in your contract that you are responsible for your own repairs.

2. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

That would me with the "their" and "there". I just cannot get it through my brain on which one to use when. Dear ole' pappy taught it to my DD right away but I am still in the dark.

I am not in the dark on they're, which would be they are!

Grace

3. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

If you are from the south they're is just fine. Ain't is my favorite word. LOL

4. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

their = possessive
    there = over yonder :jester:

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

no my dear, it's not you. :mrgreen:

I would just PM you and Say HARLEYGIRL....get it RIGHT girl!! and your feathers wouldn't get ruffled because you're COOL like that....

cheesey I know, but I wanted to use both words in a sentence correctly.

6. KellBell

and they're is a conjunction of they are

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

look at you under achievers big pimping!!:mrgreen:

8. KellBell

who you calling under acheivers?

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My biggest pet peeve is "lose" and "loose". You "lose" a game, you have "loose" change in your pocket. That particular error is actually on a game I downloaded the other day. A big banner pops up and say: YOU LOOSE!! AARAAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH !!!!:evil:

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

"I" before "E" except after "C".............................. LOL, couldn't resist! :jester:

11. KellBell

LOL....yes, that is another one....glad I have everyone thinking of their grammatical pet peeves....

even if only a moment...:lol:

12. Clif

Clif Guest

Funny how you didn't think to point out that "underachievers" is one word.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm cutting her some slack............................. :jester:

14. KellBell

I typed it just like the OP ....

get it?

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Talked to the rental agent and she said just to deduct the amount from my rent for February - yeah!

Of course, no one has come by yet-I'd really like to take a shower today!

16. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

That is goo. Hope they show up soon for your repairs so you can get that shower!!! No one likes a dirty "Harley"....sorry couldn't resist. That comment was made when a reference was made about someone's bike being so clean! LOL :p

17. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Most of my grammar pet peeves have to do with pronouns. An apostrophe in a pronoun always stands for missing letters, it is never possessive in pronouns. It's means it is; belonging to it would be its. Who's means who is; whose means belonging to whom.

And misuse of the word whom really annoys me. When somebody writes who where it should be whom, that really doesn't bother me, but the use of whom where the subjective case is called for really strikes me as pretentious. It's not that hard to figure out whether to use who or whom. Who is subjective, like he, she and they; whom is objective like him, her and them. Just do a little word substitution - if you would say he, then who is proper; if you would say him, then the word you want is whom.

18. Grace Slick

I am originally from the South and my family knows that "they're" is "they are". Just because we are from the South does not mean we do not know what a word means or how to write it. Just wanted to be a little defensive for my Southern roots.

Grace

19. Grace Slick

Thanks. I might be able to remember those. Not sure that the cobwebs will allow me to learn too many new things. Love the way you put it!

Grace

20. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

I am from the south born here will die here. I don't care that much about what people think. So I type the way I talk, I figure it like this if you don't like it ignore it or kiss my fanny. I'm redneck that way! LOL