Compact flourescent lightbulbs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

These CFL bulbs are so safe, in fact, that the U.S. EPA and the UK Enviro agency both reccomend that you immediately vacate a room when these bulbs are accidently broken. Upon entering the room, all pieces are to be placed in double-sealed bags and handled with rubber gloves if possible. They instruct you not to vacuum the contents up if possible and if you do, to immediate remove the vacuum bag and double bag and seal it. It is also encouraged that you do not simply discard these bulbs, but seek out a recycling center.

Now, if these bulbs were so safe, why all the precaution? In the world I grew up in, a bulb blew out and you'd throw it in the trash. That's it. If you broke it on the floor, you'd pick up the glass and throw it all in the trash.

Honestly, I have two in my bathroom. They were at first, hard to get used to. I haven't seen a fire, melting or cracking of the bulb housing. The bulbs have been burning for months. I would have already had to replace the regular type bulb. However, these bulbs have downsides. Now I was just reading about them the other day in a news article and read that both halogen bulbs and LED bulbs are on the way. Perhaps these will eliminate some of the same concerns associated with CFLs. However, the health problems associated with CFLs aren't going away and the regular bulbs will likely stay in production, but just in limited quantities.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Have you got a link? Everything I have seen says this is an urban legend

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

5. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

I have been slowly replacing bulbs in my houses with these gems for years. Never had a problem (except when one broke). I haved lived in a house built in the 1950's and the more modern "plastic houses." I have used these bulbs right-side-up, upside down, and varying degrees of sideways. No fires. I've just watched my electric bill go down. And I have never had to replace one because it burned out. (I always move first!:))

Snuff

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

As best as they can tell, the lighting industry says over 32 million CFL's sold last year. How many "milligrams" of mecury will eventually find its way to the dumps???? Also, since sales started in the early 80's over 160 million are currently in our dumps. That's 1,058 pounds of mecury! There's only one "formal" recyling center for CFL's in the U.S. and only one retailer who takes them in for free, Ikea.

Here's what GE said when asked about the environmental problems of customer disposal instead of recycling.

"Given what we anticipate to be the significant increase in the use of these products, we are now beginning to look at, and shortly we'll be discussing with legislators, possibly a national solution here," says Earl Jones, a senior counsel for General Electric.

OK .... lobby the law first then worry about the down side later???? This is not the answer to energy consumed by lighting. It's a bandaid fix and they know it. As for the savings in dollars, read this Light Bulb Lunacy

There are over 4 billion light sockets in the U.S., how much mercury dumping will it take for these idiots to wake up? Let's see, less than a dollar for incandesant and $2.50 average for the CFL. We earn $6 billion more, .......... lets go with the CFL's.

7. Snuffleufogous

Let's see, $1 for a light bulb that burns out in 6 months or $2.50 for one that lasts 5 to 7 years? Tough choice.

8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Regarding the mercury issue - this item from Popular Mechanics shows that the mercury contained in CFLs is far less than the mercury that is emitted by power plants to run an incandescent bulb of comparable brightness.
    I did search for a place to recycle them, and the closest location I found was the Northern Wake landfill. Not sure if that's actually recycling, or just disposal, either.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

No it is part of the recycling program per the EPA

http://www.epa.gov/bulbrecycling/

10. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Next question - do you know if they take stuff from outside of Wake County?

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My guess, from reviewing the web sites, would be No.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I did just send an email to the Johnston County Director of Public Utilities inquiring about their plans for dealing with these types of bulbs and will let you know if I hear something back.

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Advocates for these CFL bulbs often speak of the "power plant" argument with the burning of coal into the atmosphere and how it releases far more mercury.J wonder if all of the mishandled bulbs showing up in the landfills and possibly contaminating ground water could have a far great consequence to our environment years down the road? It would seem to me that in such a situation, you would have far more concentration of mercury levels present in the soil than with it being dispersed into the atmosphere.

There's not that much mercury in one bulb, but if you have a few billion people discarding these bulbs daily as they grown to be the most popular, what will happen? We all know that few people will take the precautions to dispose of these bulbs properly. They WILL wind up in large quantities in landfills around the world.

Mercury is very poisonous. Just a small contamination of a water supply could render it unusable. Any experts here? Is mercury more dangerous in the soil than in the air?

14. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Here's a better choice. You drop a CFL and break it in your house. With the increase in use and the inevitable breakage, mercury tests are going to become a regular with home inspectors. You saved, lets say, $500 and the mercury abatement costs you over $2000. What did you save? I know any house I purchase in the future will have a mercury test before I buy it.

15. Snuffleufogous

I did break one in my house. i threw it in the trash can. I didn't get any visits from Big Brother or call the HASMAT team. I didn't get tased, and as far as I know, nobody started listening in on my phone calls to see if I had plans to throw any more diabolical bulbs in the trash. It may cost YOU $2500, but it still only costs me $2.50. I'm still way ahead. And that is the only one I've ever purchased that I had to get rid of. I didn't see any warnings on the package about special disposal precautions.

If you want an environmental issue to yell and scream about, you can do much better than this. What is really your beef about these bulbs, I wonder?

How about a light rail system throughout the triangle so we can use our cars less?

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I don't think one incandescent bulb costs $1. You usually get four in a pack. Probably about .50 cents/piece.

Off the topic, but the light rail system just didn't seem all that popular. I think most people who live and work in the area want to drive themselves. I think the best thing is HOV lanes on I-440 and for the feeder highways...that or maybe ski lifts. :) Now wouldn't that be more fun than a stinky ole train.

17. Snuffleufogous

Are you people freaking mathematically challenged, or WHAT!?!?!

Get your calculators out if you're too mentally challenged to figure out that lightbulbs that last years are cheaper in the long run. Quibble over the freakin' actual cost of the dang things all you want. It's a freakin no brainer. Maybe THAT's why you all are struggling with it so much.

Of course light rail is unpopular! It's a good idea that would work on so many levels. But we are too spoiled and have to have our SUVs sitting in the parking lot all day.

18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Frankly, first and foremost, I absolutely hate the light the CFLs produce. Do they make anything that remotely resembles a traditional bulb? If not, I'm going to hold out for halogen and hope they are better. Those CFLs are harsh...at least to me. Maybe its just my astigmatism.

As for the rail system, so what? You can't twist people's arms to participate in something they don't like. Sure, this area is still heavy with big SUVs, but if they can afford the gas, they can keep right on trucking. What I was saying is that if people around the Triangle are not ready for rail service, then the state should examine other possibilities and that is the encouragement of car pooling or incentives for businesses to allow employees to conduct most of their work from home when possible. Aside from the need for supervision, if that isn't a problem, most businesses should consider this option anyway. It cuts down on the amount of office space needed to accomplish the same amount of production.

19. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

As you said, "I'm still way ahead." Typical American. Thinking today, not tomorrow. Thinking me, me ,me and not those of the future. I need it now, I wanted it yesterday, where the he-ll is it, I don't care about the environmental costs!! Your the same type of person who will scream bloody murder about lead in toys yet let your kids play on that same floor you broke the bulb on. In 10 years you'll be the person joining the class action suit aginst the manufacturers and asking, "Why didn't you tell us?"

You said, "If you want an environmental issue to yell and scream about, .."
    I don't yell or scream about anything. I investigate, review all the facts and come to a conclusion. And the conclusion is; future disposal of these CFL's will be a nightmare. Each bulbs quantity of mercury will take 16,667 cubic feet of soil to dispose of safely. Multiply that times billions and we all have to live on top of it in less than 10 years. The other conclusion is that 50hz flicker (at close range) health hazards are not totally known yet. Go ahead and submit your family to it if you'd like.

You said, "Are you people freaking mathematically challenged, or WHAT!?!?!"
    Nope, actually I'm a math freak. Your challenged by only computing half of the equation.

CFL's are not the answer to energy savings when compared to other options like halogen & LED's. It's just the "quick" and "cheap" way out and your one of the persons willing to take that route. Your a marketing managers dream. He feeds your pro's column with everything it needs so you'll ignore the con's.

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Dan, are you sure on the halogen? I agree on the LED and hopefully those will drop in cost soon.

As far as fluorescent bulbs, you can recycle them. Although it cost about $1.25 per bulb it is the responsible thing to do.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/Compact-Fluorescent-Recycling/