Local Gyms

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by turtlepits, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

For the right price I would consider it. LOL jk

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

And you'd get your workout while you clean :mrgreen:.

3. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Same for me except for the 5 years at CF.

If you are new to going to a gym then Fit For Life is perfect for you. It's smaller and Chad really makes you feel welcome.

4. cl62810

cl62810 Guest

5. Spikesmom

Spikesmom Active Member

Rex Wellness

DH and I joined Rex Wellness up at White Oak a few month ago and are really enjoying it. They have a lot of cardio equipment, a great assortment of machines and a good class schedule. (Oh and a pool) They are associated with Rex Hospital and do a lot of wellness and weight loss programs as well. The thing I like best is that there are people of all ages and shapes there and I didn't feel funny walking into a gym after a LONG absence.

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

what do they charge for memberships?

7. Spikesmom

Spikesmom Active Member

Rex Wellness

DH and I have a family membership at $89/month. They also have individual plans and a mid day plan for those who work out during off peak times. They have a good website - you'll have to google it as I don't know the url off the top of my head. I checked out a couple of other places, but this one is really nice and very clean and the staff are all well trained and most have masters degrees or above in some fitness related field.

8. KellBell

Thanks for that, I will google them and check it out.:mrgreen:

9. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

i go to the rex wellness center and love it!!!! the staff is very nice, place is always clean and you dont feel like you are being watched by the opposite sex.

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

We looked into Rex Wellness a couple years ago, but a couple things kind of rubbed me the wrong way. If I remember correctly, you had to have an "appointment" for dropping your kids off in the daycare, which meant you had to know ahead of time what time you'll be there, and I think they charge extra for that also. And we were excited about the pool, but it's for adults only. Since we've got 3 little ones, this was something we wanted to do as a family, but wasn't possible.

11. GarnerGirl2000

yea the pool thing is crazy bc when they first opened up they had a "family night" and certain hrs that the families could swim. i was told that it had to do with insurance, was why they stopped doing that.

12. Spikesmom

Spikesmom Active Member

Rex Pool

I think they do have family swim once a week (they post the schedule online) and they also have swim classes for kids. Thank goodness mine is off at college!

13. KellBell

no disrespect, but most people pay to go to a gym to work out, not try and swim laps around a bunch of screaming kids. The gym I used to be a member of a while back, had a pool, and they had kid night once a week, regulars knew to get the heck outta dodge on Tuesday Nights.

14. GarnerGirl2000

yea i wasnt upset at all when they cancelled family nights :)

15. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

16. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Well, if they had a family swim night they didn't tell us about it, but like I said it was a couple years ago. And the only reason we found it strange was because we knew they did swimming lessons, so we just assumed it was for all ages. And yes, I agree, it would turn people off that don't want kids around while they're doing water aerobics, or whatever they do...I guess it just wasn't expected. Anyway, the daycare thing bothered me more than that, the pool wasn't a deal breaker.

17. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Rex Wellness has two pools. One is a lap pool and the other is a therapy pool. The "family swim" happens in the therapy pool, which is mainly not used at that time of a Friday evening. The lap pool was never used by the children.

18. tawiii

tawiii Guest

19. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

The Clayton Fitness site says they offer kid's aerobics classes but I don't see any on the Dec. calendar on their web site. Do they actually offer the classes on a regular basis? Has anyone had a child in a class and can give feedback?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  20. cl62810

cl62810 Guest

They offer the classes on days when school is out for the older children. In the mornings, they take groups of the older kids (3-4 year olds) to the basketball court for organized activities and freeplay. They usually post kids class times around the gym, but it's on the schedule during the summer months. Traci usually teaches the classes and the kids really like her.

I have heard talk of starting a consistent night class for children due to problems with childhood obesity and diabetes. I'll ask today about how those plans are coming along.