New Walmart 40/42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ddlc, Dec 22, 2007.

1. ddlc

ddlc Guest

I just saw the sign for the new Walmart right next to Lowes hardware..does anybody know if it's going to be a regular or SuperWalmart? Thanks!

2. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

in my best eeyore voice: It doesn't matter...it just means more crowds, more traffic and more light 'pollution'...
    in my sarcastic voice:THANK you Johnston County "Planning" commission and all the assorted 'developers' for the myopic, greedy, money-grubbing...

argh!! It's late and I'm just too tired for a diatribe... I'll pass the torch to some other frustrated resident... y'all rant for me...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  3. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/722692.html

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

5. NanaPam

NanaPam Active Member

Have mercy! There used to be just a gas station on every corner and now there is a Wal Mart. Traffic is horrible through there now it will be a nightmare.

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

The Clayton store is a 203,622-square-foot building so the new one with be a bit smaller.

7. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

According to the site plan, it is going to be 184,109 sq. ft., and 40.72 acres of Johnston County trees disappearing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  8. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart Site plan indicates:
    Demographics
    Distance Population Average HH Income
    3 Miles 13,000 $76,000
    5 Miles 36,000 $70,000
    7 Miles 75,000 $66,000
    ==================================
    2000 Census had Johnston County at 121,965 residents.
    Estimate in 2006 is 152,143 residents. growth of 24.8%
    49.2% of county residents will be living within 7 mile radius of the new Wal-Mart. Unfortunately the road system is way behind the population growth in this area! I am afraid traffic will be at a standstill during Christmas 2009 after the Wal-Mart is open.

9. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

We were just in Goldsboro's Walmart and boy, I was amazed to see how big Walmart there was. It was even bigger than Clayton. I wonder how many sq. feet?

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Oh, you must be talking about the new one at Rosewood on Highway 70 west of Goldsboro. I haven't been in it yet but that Wal-Mart looks huge. Just the Wal-Mart looks like a shopping center by itself and it has a few stores over to the side. I'll have to say that the two Wal-Marts that I've been in that I liked the most was Clayton and Mount Olive. The one in MO is smaller, but well laid out.

11. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

I am in them every day for work. The one in Goldsboro is quite large. The Mt. Olive store is quite small compared to some I am in. I would have to say my personal favorite with the layout is in Fayetteville on Skibo Rd. The electronics department is in the middle and not stuffed way in the back and it's a fairly large store but not quite as big as the new Goldsboro one. The new Holly Springs store is quite large as well. The Knightdale store is a dump and so is Garner. They are building a new one to replace the old Garner store, though. Both Knightdale and Garner are very "ghetto".

12. MisunderstoodMind

MisunderstoodMind Well-Known Member

After a WalMart was built in my hometown, the whole place went to crap. In addition the merchandise they sold was substandard even to their conditions. Basically, they ran out all the locally owned businesses and jacked up the prices. Then they did the thing where all employees would work 37.5 hrs per week... just under the requirement to provide benefits.

Honestly, I avoid WalMart at all costs. Now there are the odd ball things only WalMart carries: Ballards Pimento Cheese Spread (husband), Cheap Horizon Organic Milk, Large Bottles of Infusium 23.

13. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

well I will be thrilled not to have to drive all the way into Clayton or Fuquay to "run to Walmart!"

14. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

I am too! Kinda, I don't want to deal with the traffic.

15. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

i concur

16. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

Ha! WalMart is just going to shift all the traffic over here, now... 42 is already an ugly place to be at rush hour...

17. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

---------------
    That doesn't sound right -- I've worked 37.5 hours for many years and get full benefits. I thought working less than that would disqualify someone from receiving benefits.

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I have boycotted Wallyworld for a good year now, based on those principles. Ever once in a while I stop in for a necessity while my son is at Orchestra. The pay/living conditions of the factories in China, the ROI of their products (yep, cost them only 14 cents to make that hunk of plastic - and Joe American pays 15 bucks for it). The fact that their "health-care benefits" for their PT employees or even struggling full-time employees (when it is not worth their while to pay those premiums) are actually directions to the local Medicaid office.

Educate yourself. (not you misunderstoodmind - doesn't surprise me we are on the same wavelength)

19. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Normally I hate the idea of a Walmart so close, but I was telling the wife just a few minutes ago that I cant wait until it gets here. I am feeling under the weather and didnt want to drive all the way to Fuquay or Hwy 70's stores.

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member