Caring for the Homeless - a way we can help

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

The Brotherhood Association of my home church has initiated a clothing drive for the homeless in our community.

As President of the Brotherhood this year I was moved to act when I read the following story in a recent N&O article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/story/786686.html

I have talked with Alice McGee, head of Church in the Woods, the homeless advocacy group mentioned in the article that ministers to the homeless.

http://home.earthlink.net/~churchinthewoods/citw-contact.html

I have also visited the With Love From Jesus ministry at 421 Chapanoke Road, Raleigh, NC 27603 that partners with the Church in the Woods.

http://www.withlovefromjesus.org/

These two groups truly have a heart for the homeless.

I initially thought about focusing on a blanket drive, but that is being done. What is really needed, according to Alice, are hooded sweatshirts and men's jeans.

Of course, other items will be accepted and are listed on both sites.

If you would like to contribute items or make a financial donation to either of these groups, please visit their websites with instructions.

Alice McGee said she has a laundry account and a kerosene account that really needs some financial support.

Many homeless use kerosene heaters in their makeshift camps and wash their clothes at laundry mats that Alice has partnered with.

ALL DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE - both groups are 501(c)(3), non-profit groups.

I know many of you are already doing everything you can for various ministries you have been led to support, but if you can pass this info along, I know this will reach someone who has a heart for local missions and the resources to make a difference in a homeless person's life.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over.

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Today's Homeless Camp Mission trip

The Brotherhood Association of my church donated $200 for seed money to start a homeless outreach program. I went to Mortex in Wendell and purchased 50 heavy-duty hooded sweatshirts.

Today, myself and 3 other members from my church met with Alice McGee (Church in the Woods) so she could take us to some homeless camps to distribute some of the hoodies.

Here's a few photos of today's trip.

Camp #1. Some members of my church talking with two of the three men who were there when we arrived this afternoon. Before we left, we all held hands while Alice prayed over the camp and for the men.

[​IMG]

A tarp for a windbreak. A homemade stove the men got from somewhere. Someone brought them some discarded wooden pallets to bust up and burn in the stove.

[​IMG]

This is "Catfish", one of the men in this camp. Alice McGee was very concerned about his health the last time she saw him. She said he was leaning over their camp stove trying to get warm, but just didn't seem like he could ever get the chill out of his body.

Catfish had a pretty bad looking sore on his hand. I asked if they had any medical supplies in their camp. He said the only thing they had was a small bottle of peroxide.

Catfish is not in good shape. Alice is going to try and get him to a doctor tomorrow.

[​IMG]

As you can see, they are sleeping on pallets or an old mattress.

[​IMG]

Camp #2 - No one was at home. This camp was kept a lot neater. Alice said there was at least one woman in this camp. Those living in this camp referred to this part as their "Bedroom". I'm not sure how they got their tent, either donated or purchased.

[​IMG]

Camp #2 - Alice recently purchased a small, LP gas cook stove for this camp. You can see it just to the right of the white chair.

[​IMG]

Camp #2 - They call this place their "Living Room". It's about a quarter mile away from their "Bedroom" between a convenience store and a body shop. Alice meets those staying in Camp #2 here alot for devotion.

[​IMG]

Alice McGee, a saint if there ever was one. She's 65 years old and has such a tremendous heart for the homeless. The black bags in her car are 20 more hoodies we gave her to give out as she makes her rounds to other camps this week.

[​IMG]

Alice said there were around 1,200 homeless people in and around Wake County. Many are not even fortunate enough to have a camp to stay in, but sleep in abandoned houses and buildings, under porches like dogs, where ever they can.

If you would like to help support Alice and her ministry, take a look at her website for some guidelines: http://home.earthlink.net/~churchinthewoods/citw-contact.html

Or, you can make a financial donation to:

Stony Hill Baptist Church Brotherhood Association
    7521 Stony Hill Rd
    Wake Forest, NC 27587

(Put "Homeless Missions" in the remarks section on your check. Financial donations are TAX DEDUCTIBLE.)

Or, you could work through your own church or organization and partner with Alice, or any other ministry that has a heart for the homeless.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Thanks Kent!

4. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Wow Kent, that is heartbreaking. Thanks for the link!

5. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

"Thank You"
    by Ray Boltz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFrdJ2V3r7Y&feature=related

Thank You

I dreamed I went to heaven
    And you were there with me
    We walked upon the streets of gold
    Beside the crystal sea
    We heard the angels singing
    Then someone called your name
    You turned and saw this young man
    And he was smiling as he came

And he said, Friend
    You may not know me now
    And then he said, But wait
    You used to teach my Sunday School
    When I was only eight
    And every week you would say a prayer
    Before the class would start
    And one day when you said that prayer
    I asked Jesus in my heart

CHORUS:
    Thank you for giving to the Lord
    I am a life that was changed
    Thank you for giving to the Lord
    I am so glad you gave

Then another man stood before you
    And said remember the time
    A missionary came to your church
    And his pictures made you cry
    You didn't have much money
    But you gave it anyway
    Jesus took the gift you gave
    And that's why I am here today

CHORUS

One by one they came
    Far as the eye could see
    Each life somehow touched
    By your generosity
    Little things that you had done
    Sacrifices made
    Unnoticed on the earth
    In heaven now proclaimed

And I know up in heaven
    You're not supposed to cry
    But I am almost sure
    There were tears in your eyes
    As Jesus took your hand
    And you stood before the Lord
    He said, My child look around you
    Great is your reward

CHORUS (repeat)

I am so glad you gave

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Thanks Kent for sharing. A great way to start the day. A reminder of how good we all have it. Thanks for Alice's story and her contact information. I can definitely help her out.

7. ssmm

ssmm Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kent, for bringing that to the board. I have been working with Alice for several months (as a liason from my church) to collect items that she distributes. Just an idea for anybody interested: we collected hygeine items and made bags (gallon zip lock bags) and went downtown with Alice one Saturday in September and handed them out to the folks who were gathered there to eat. The bags included items such as ponchos, toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, washcloths, soap, deodorant, combs, nail files, socks, underwear... you get the idea. And we made separate bags for the women who needed feminine hygeine items. (Alice told us that many of these women have no personal supplies that they need monthly... heartbreaking.) Anyway, I am thankful for Alice and her ministry and for you and your church and for all those who have a heart to help the homeless and hurting.

8. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

I was very touched by those photographs and admire the work all of you are doing. Most dry cleaners have coats that people have not picked up going back years. These are usually very good coats and they are clean. If someone calls them and explains I am sure they will donate.

Grace

9. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

SSMM, Alice gave us the same tip about the hygeine bags. Great idea. That's a good project to involve the Youth Group, getting them to help put together some of the bags. Do you know a good source for the items?

I also learned that candles were a great item in need. One candle set down in a jar will help heat a tent as much as 10 degrees.

Some of the ladies at church have started collecting some to take to Alice or when we go on another camp visit.

10. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

10-4, Thanks, Grace. Another great idea.

11. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

A Prayer for the Homeless

I found this great prayer:

Dear God,

Hear our prayer today for all women and men, boys and girls who are homeless this day.

For those sleeping under bridges, on park benches, in doorways or bus stations, and piece-meal camps.

For those who can only find shelter for the night but must wander in the daytime.

For families broken because they could not afford to pay the rent.

For those who have no relatives or friends who can take them in.

For those who have no place to keep possessions that remind them who they are.

For those who are afraid and have lost all hope.

For those who have been betrayed by our social safety net.

For all these people, Lord, we pray that you will provide shelter, security and hope.

We pray for those of us with warm houses and comfortable beds that we not be lulled into complacency and forgetfulness.

Jesus, help us to see your face in the eyes of every homeless person we meet so that we may be empowered through word and deed, and through whatever means we have, to bring mercy and peace to those who are homeless.

Amen.

12. ssmm

ssmm Well-Known Member

Hey, Kent- I've also been taking a lot of jars and candles (Alice told me the same thing) that several Sunday School classes are collecting at my church. We did the hygeine bags as a part of Operation InAsMuch and asked for donations from our church members. It was amazing how many doors opened up with people who were employed in areas that had "samples" and promo items that were donated. We made a specific list and handed it out and suggested that folks purchase items from the dollar store. I drop other donations off to Alice regularly (I have sort of become the drop-off person from members of my church) and am humbled by the work she does.

13. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Great idea; I've spoken to our Youth Pastor about getting some of our young people involved in making up these bags.

14. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Don't We All!

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those
    who can do nothing for him. - James D. Miles

A story:

Joe was parked in front of a downtown business, waiting for his wife to do a little shopping.

Coming his way from across the street was what society would consider a bum.

From the looks of him, the bum had no car, no home, no clean clothes, and no money. There are times when you feel generous but there are other times that you just don't want to be bothered.

This was one of those "don't want to be bothered times."

"I hope he doesn't ask me for any money," Joe thought.

He didn't.

The bum came and sat on the wall in front of the bus stop to wait on the bus.

After a few minutes he spoke.

"That's a very pretty car," he said.

He was ragged but he had an air of dignity around him.

Joe said, "thanks," and diverted his eyes away from the bum.

The bum sat there quietly as Joe tried to avoid any eye contact. The expected plea for money never came.

As the silence between them widened something inside Joe said, "ask him if he needs any help."

"Do you need any help?" Joe asked.

The bum answered in three simple but profound words that Joe shall never forget.

We often look for wisdom in great men and women. We expect it from those of higher learning and accomplishments. Joe expected nothing but an outstretched grimy hand.

The bum spoke three words that shook Joe to the core.

"Don't we all?" the bum said.

Joe was feeling high and mighty, successful and important, above a bum in the street, until those three words hit him.

Don't we all?

Joe needed help. Maybe not for bus fare or a place to sleep, but he needed help.

Joe reached in his wallet and gave the bum not only enough for bus fare, but enough to take a cab anywhere in the city and get food and shelter for the day.

Those three little words still ring true.

No matter how much you have, no matter how much you have accomplished, you need help too.

No matter how little you have, no matter how loaded you are with problems, even without money or a place to sleep, you can give help.

Even if it's just a word of encouragement, you can give that.

You never know when you may see someone who appears to have it all. They are waiting on you to give them what they don't have. A different perspective on life, a glimpse at something beautiful, a respite from daily chaos, that only you through a torn world can see.

Maybe the bum was just a homeless stranger wandering the streets.

Maybe he was more than that.

Maybe he was sent by a power that is great and wise, to minister to a soul too comfortable in himself.

Maybe God looked down, called an Angel, dressed him like a bum, then said, "go minister to that man waiting in his car; that man needs help."

Don't we all?

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Yesterday morning, before I went on duty, I took 3 hoodies from my pickup and put in my patrol car in case I ran up on someone who needed them while I was working.

It took no time at all before I got my first opportunity.

I saw one guy standing by himself at the soup kitchen in downtown Raleigh and gave one to him. He had gotten there extra early to make sure he could get something to eat that day.

Later on I had to go to a location in Garner off Hwy 70.

Since it was a cold, rainy day, this would be a good time, I thought, to swing by one of the homeless camps located off Hedingham Blvd.

Sure enough, Harriett and her friend Timothy, who goes by the name "Red", were huddled up in their tent along with a beautiful puppy.

They were grateful for the hoodies and I told them I'd be back to check on them again, soon.

Note to self: I've got to get those "medical goody bags" made up. They are essential.

I encourage you to get a few clothing items and a "goody bag" and keep them in your vehicle trunk. They don't take alot of room, and you'll have them handy when you're out and about and run up on someone who needs them.

16. Cottonlady

Cottonlady Active Member

Thank you Kent

We all need to be remind of just how much we have been blessed!

I will be sharing this info with my husband and kids soon. We have several camping items that they can use.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

17. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kent.

One of the best friends I ever had was once a homeless alcoholic.
    He told me stories of years of eating and sometimes sleeping in dumpsters.
    Helping Hands in Raleigh got him on his feat after years of self
    abuse. He's dead now. Lung cancer. Ya would have thought cirrhosis...
    Either way, he is dearly missed. He told me that when ever he felt
    he was slipping, he would drive around to see the homeless and drunks
    sleeping under boxes and newspapers. It was a great reminder of where
    he had been and of how far he had come.

I noticed my typo (feat - should have been feet) and realized maybe it
    wasn't a typo at all. It truly is a great feat for one to overcome their demons.

18. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

cottonlady: love your avatar

nsanemom: I had never seen any homeless people (or at least noticed any) until I got stationed in Washington DC in the early 80's. That's when I saw people living in cardboard boxes on top of steam grates. It was a shock, really.

19. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Target @ Timber had some mens sweaters, long sleeve shirts, and flannel robes on clearance for 75% off. The robes were something like $3.50 and the shirts around the same. These would be good to keep on hand as Kent suggested or to donate to this ministry.

20. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

I met with Alice McGee (Church in the Woods) again this morning and gave her some more of the hooded sweat shirts that the Brotherhood of my church had purchased along with some other clothing that had been donated.

Alice said she has an old school bus that they have converted into a massive walk-in closet to store clothes on hangars until they are needed - depending on the time of year, etc.

I keep some hoodies and toboggans in my patrol car. They come in handy when I run up on someone who needs them.

(By the way, it's amazing how many folks you see that need help when you are looking for them.)

Another church member also met with Alice this morning to turn over candles and other items that can be used in the camps.

I gave out two toboggans this morning to some homeless men living off Lake Boone Trail at the Beltline.

One of the homeless men I talked to was Richard.

Richard had the most vivid blue eyes I have ever seen. Every other part of his countenance was haggard and weathered; he is badly in need of some dental work. But those eyes just captured you. I immediately thought about the scripture where we entertain angels unawares.

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it. Hebrews 13:2

Another man was named Vernon.

Vernon was smoking a homemade cigarette. He said he finds cigarette butts and gets the remaining tobacco from them until he has enough to roll up in some newspaper.

I wished I had my camera with me so you could see what I saw.

Although other folks are ministering to them on occasion by bringing by some food, providing transportation to cold-weather shelters, etc., I made sure they had my number and the Church in the Woods phone number (772-7050) before I left.

Just thought I'd share this update.