C3 IS A JOKE

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by d15pwer, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

I cannot nor will I speak for Hugh. But, I believe he is talking about what is Posted below. I, too, question that on a daily basis and since we are on this Forum often I find that some who profess to be religious do not adhere to the standard they so dearly want the rest of us too. This is why I do not attend any organized religious facility. I have way too many questions and thoughts on this subject. Don’t judge Hugh for what he is asking! Please see Post and link below to see how “I” feel about the attitudes from some of the Posters. Nope, my head is not covered and I am not running on this one. I am tired of the judgment made by some who proclaim to the world they are Christians but do not adhere to what my grandfathers believed were Christian values and others today believe are still Christian values. Yep, just run on over to A&E and judge others for the clothes they wear…….Sometimes it just gets to be a bit much. This is exactly why I ask why people hate so much. I just don’t understand!

Grace

A “pick and choose” mentality leads one to a standard that is founded on self-fulfillment rather than a belief system that provides comfort and meaning. Charles Colson in his article Salad-Bar Christianity put it this way, “the church has lost the capacity to judge between good and evil, truth and falsehood.”3 Now – back to our question regarding the biblical nature of criticism. The concern over intolerance or improper judgment comes in the form of a judgment itself. The comment often is received as follows: Jesus said it is wrong to judge, shame on you! or it might look like this, criticism is unloving and ultimately divides the fellowship – how dare you! As a Christian, Jesus is truly our example. He did speak against being judgmental. However, his admonition was that we not judge by mere appearances, but that our judgments are made righteously.4

In other words, we are not to make judgments based on a surface understanding of an issue or a person, but our judgments are to be made with adequate investigation and biblical discernment.5 Another important aspect of applying proper judgment is to recognize that when an issue is considered to be a non-essential to salvation and does not undermine a cardinal doctrine of the faith we are to be tolerant and accepting of others interpretations or views. It is imperative that every believer develop the ability to rightly discern the truth by rightly understanding the Scripture. By this, I mean that we are not to render our personal interpretation, but rather, use the Scripture to shed further light on itself.

The true application of tolerance in one’s life is the acceptance of the individual – not necessarily his or her position or belief on a given subject, but our acceptance of those with whom we may disagree. As Christians, we are to esteem others whether we agree with them or not. We are to love them as Christ loves them. However, if their teachings seem contradictory to Scripture we are to test them and if they are found to be false we are then compelled to expose the falsity of what they teach.

http://christianinformation.org/article.asp?artID=107

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Nope

3. Clif

Clif Guest

Hmmm... Then I wonder who it was...

4. Cleopatra

I talk about it occassionally because of family history, and frankly it intrigues me - as do alot of religions. deliqueen came out yesterday, I think in this same thread.

5. Clif

Clif Guest

No, it's been from a while ago. Maybe you mentioned something that caused me to presume you are or were. It wouldn't be the first time I've jumped to a conclusion.

6. Cleopatra

That's what I was thinking, you just got Cleo on the brain!

7. Clif

Clif Guest

More than you might think. :)

8. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2913,subcat-RELIGION.html

Actually they're not banned, but leaders advise against colas, unless they are caffeine free. The Mormons I've worked with and known never had even the caffeine free colas, because they did not want to give the wrong appearance.

9. littleguy

littleguy Well-Known Member

Do you know the reason? Sometime in the 1970's the previous LDS President Spencer Kimball had a vision that it was OK for LDS members to drink cokes. Shortly after that the LDS Church purchased the Coca Cola Bottling Company of Utah.

10. Cleopatra

Clif's post was incorrect. And so is yours.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/mormon.asp

11. Clif

Clif Guest

Sorry, but that urban legend is false.

12. Clif

Clif Guest

What do you mean my post was incorrect?

13. littleguy

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  14. Clif

Clif Guest

Curious how your link does not contain a single reference to coca or cola.

I have not been able to locate anything other than rumours about the LDS church owning the Coca-Cold Bottling Company of Utah. As a matter of fact, I could not locate any Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Utah period. (I did find one Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Salt Lake City, but they are owned by Swire Pacific Ltd., which is an Asian company based in Hogn Kong.)

15. littleguy

Clif, I have no idea who owns the Coca Cola Bottling Company in Utah in 2008. This was in the late 1970's. I have no documented proof but it was widely discussed in Utah in 1979-1982. I will see if I can find further details.
    I posted the link to back up my comment. Think LDS Church. Think Business. I realized it did not say anything about Coca Cola.

16. Clif

Clif Guest

According to their SITE, "Swire Pacific acquired the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Salt Lake City in 1978."

If you realized it did not say Coca-Cola, then how could you use it to back up your comment?

Here's a good rule of thumb, by the way. If you want to reinforce your comments, don't use links to websites which are so obviously prejudiced that they are actually difficult to read with a straight face.

17. littleguy

Any way to find out who owned Swire Pacific in 1978? Who was on their Board of Directors in 1978?
    And if untrue then I guess it was a urban legend in Utah in 1979-1982. Unfortunately my family did not own a computer in those years and we had never heard of snopes, etc. Just discussions around town in SLC at that time to base my comments.

18. deliqueen

deliqueen Guest

:?:sooooo...WHY exactly are you called "littleguy"?? could it be that you have a "small-minded" view of things you so OBVIOUSLY do NOT understand?

19. Clif

Clif Guest

Gee, maybe the janitor's neighbour's second cousin was LDS. If you read their site (linked in my previous post), you can see that they have been an Asian company since 1866.

Basically rumours from people who don't like Mormons to begin with.

20. Cleopatra

See, I love Clif. Esp we we are on the same side. Makes my life easier!