Did you see the Clayton Couple on ABC World News Tongiht?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KnuckleBeach, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Clif

Clif Guest

Now, now. You know very well that the media may have twisted everything they said for their own devices and toward their own ends.

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Here's the video you were referring to -

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=5923308

I noticed her French Manicured acrylic nails in this video - DEFINITELY a neccessity. Oh Yeah.

3. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

4. Cleopatra

Clif, watch the link I just posted. Do you think ABC wrote their "budget" out for them?

5. Cleopatra

Well, we had to bring the baseball cap and hoodie look together right? Not there is anything wrong with baseball caps and hoodies. Unless ABC is coming to your house to film... :)

6. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

Well, I cant track them down...I dont know a soul here. And I will NOT turn off the computer regardless off the electricity...its my only link to civilazation and sanity right now.

7. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Hey!! It's a great way to get out and meet people :lol:

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

OK! Now that I found it and saw the "budget"

Cell bills at $330/mo?
    Cable $176/mo?
    Car pmts $880/mo?
    Food $1000/mo?
    Entertainment $100/mo?

Cell Bill $330/mo - there are different plans OR increase your plan so that you are not going over on your minutes.
    Turn off the cable saves $176
    Sell the cars for something that has no payments $880/mo (in the video she's driving a newer Volvo) Which in turn drops the insurance cost
    Food - who in the world eats 1,000 worth of food every month - they need to talk to FMO2! ASAP.
    Entertainment - why go out when you can't pay the bills?

I'd be willing to ask FMO2 to do a class and pay for it (us 4042ers) for just them.

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Good gosh! That is crazy! Yep...they def need Faye!

10. Cleopatra

Same here. :)

11. Cleopatra

Or we could all meet up at a really nice yard sale this spring. I call dibs on the TV!

12. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

Girl, we have a friend who has four children. They tell me that they go through a gallon of milk (a day), a loaf of bread (a day), etc. etc. The wife got sick and I cooked a roast, mashed potatoes with gravy, a vegie casserole and some rolls. We ran it over all pleased. About two hours later the dad and a few kids came back with clean dishes to deliver and thanked us for the food. The "only" son said "We even had seconds with yours." I almost fell over, I thought they would have left overs. I looked at the dad and that is when I found out what they go through above...3 girls, 1 boy, 1 dad and 1 mom. I laughed and so did the dad.

Grace

13. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

i may be a ... well, yeah I am anyway... but I think those folks are in way over thier heads. How Blind do you hae to be to have all those material good and then complain abou thaving no money. Rich kids and parents living on money they thought would never run low. Just plain dumb.
    i have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who lives above their means. i would love a big screen TV. A new car. A new DEck on my house and a ping pong table. but no-I don't want to have all that debt.
    When I split from my ex - thankfully - I got an really small place and it is not my first choice but I could AFFORD it. on my salary alone. No over extension. i was told you should be able to pay for your home for a few months in case you ever got sick. Been there , done that andI still have it - and then some. :)

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Other things I noticed from watching the clip again...
    Cars:
    Volvo
    Expedition
    Eclipse (I think - a little 2 door car)
    Some other car parked beside the Expedition

Dad sporting a "Nautica" sweatshirt - maybe he bought it before they were going to loose the house - who knows

Mom - nails done, showing some roots, but obviously gets her hair "did"

4 children who are old enough to have jobs and pay some of their own way

Grace, that was very nice of you to help your friend out.

I swear I'd give the shirt off my back to anyone who NEEDED it (no comments from the p-nut gallery). But NOT to someone who is not trying to help themselves.

BTW - why not sell the house???? Did I miss something?

YOU CAN'T HELP SOMEONE WHO WON'T HELP THEMSELVES

15. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

Actually more like "We are living beyond our means, please fix it for us."

I think that ABC contacting their mortgage company and getting their rate and mortgage payment decreased is just making the situation worse. They will now not have to face reality and will not have to take the steps necessary to fix their real problem, which is spending above their means. Now they will not have to face consequences or take responsibility for the mess they created for themselves. Too much bailing out going on in my opinion. How long do you think till they are back in a jam again?

16. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned Town of Clayton Utilities. It hink it was NadiaP. Anyhow, we used to live w/in the city limits. I can tell you the utilities through the city of Clayton are beyond outrageous! It was ludicrious our bills. Back then, we had just the 2 kids, 2000 sq. ft. home. We paid around $400 a month for electric alone. Not including the other gas or water. It was a nightmare. We moved here & have Aqua NC for water(around $50 a month) and Progress Energy for electric( around $270 depending upon season). And this is w/ 9 people now. We made sure when we moved that we'd never live w/in the town city limits again. I don't quite understand the difference in bills paid. So if the couple on the show lives w/in the city limits(though I don't think they did), then I can honestly say that that figure was probably right on.

With so many free things to do in this area and places to go, I think the family could have done away w/ the cable bill and the entertainment bill. That would have been $276 saved. Cell phones would be the first to go. Plus, $330 for a cell bill is way too much anyhow. Just those 3 things would save $600 a month!

Maybe the media distorted the facts. But if they didn't, then it is a case of mismanagement of funds. Where's Faye???--LOL. Faye should go on the nightly news and get some of these folks out of the red. I know she's helped many, many people.

Have a great evening folks.

Stephanie--mom to 7

17. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

AMEN!

18. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

That is what it sold for in 1996.

19. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on the utilitiy bills. I will sit down before I open the next round. As for these people....Dave Ramsey is on 1030 am everyday from 3-6. Ive only been here a month but I figured out that much. Ive even got on of his books they can borrow.

20. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

wonder if maybe these people both had high paying jobs and then they got laid off or had cancer or something unforseen happen. sometimes bad things happen to good people, and then they end up upside down and need help....