La Piazza

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KellBell, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Ro

Ro Well-Known Member

For the past few times we ate at Logan's the service was awful and the food seems to be getting worse; as far as Lonestar once was enough for us. Will not be frequenting either place any more. Waiting to try La Piazza.

2. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

I too have had nothing but bad experiences at Logan's. I've given them 4 chances over the course of at least 18 months, with all kinds of scenarios - party of 2, 4, 6; peak dinner, mid-afternoon, later dinner. Only once were we satisfied with the food. Every other time is was not good or not prepared properly. The service has consistently been lacking. We always brought our concerns to the attention of management. Never once were we offered any kind of comp, and nothing seems to change.

Only been to Lonestar in Clayton once, and it was just adequate, both the food and service. This was only a couple of months after they opened, so I have been thinking about trying again, but based on a number of comments on this (wandering) thread, I've decided against that.

Speaking of Chinese in Clayton, what happened to Golden House? We enjoyed them for takeout occasionally, but the last time we called, the phone was apparently disconnected. I too would like to see a good Chinese place in Clayton.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Speaking of Chinese in Clayton, what happened to Golden House?

Johnny Chang (original owner) died. He had let someone else run the place before he died, and it went downhill. Never was the same once he left.

4. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

SB,

I am with you on Logans. I would love to see a Kanki and P.F. Chang come our way. I could also handle a Red Lobster. Don't think I would ever cook again!

On the subject of Kobe's, they are not bad. They certainly do not measure up to Kanki, especially the sauce. Even the shrimp does not taste as fresh. But, I am glad to have them here and will frequent when I don't want to go far.

Grace

5. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

PF Chang would be the ticket...LOVE that place. I don't like Red Lobster, so I wouldn't go there.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Fake and bake seafood at best is what Red Lobster is, and while it is a step in the right direction compared to the fried artery clogged goodness that people love here, it still a far cry from real good seafood.

Isla Marada Seafood is what a good seafood resturant should be.

Craig

7. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Funny story...I love Olive Garden, and we went there with friends a couple months ago. They had a 1.5 hour wait, so we (not me) decided to go to Red Lobster right next door, since we could get right in. I HATE seafood, therefore would have never chosen Red Lobster. It ended up being one of the best meals I've ever had! I had the grilled chicken with mashed potatoes and caesar salad, everything was perfect. The chicken was juicy and just the way I like it, as well as the potatoes, and the biscuits were to die for! Now my hubby who loves seafood and is always begging me to go to Red Lobster didn't like his meal there, and says he doesn't know if he'll go back there again...

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Ya'll got me thinking about dinner as well.

How about Chicken & Shrimp kabobs? YUMMY!

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Those biscuits are good! Bisquick sells a mix in a package that is a pretty good likeness. I have an uncle who used to bartend/wait tables at one in VA, best one I ever ate at. The ones here are lacking for some reason. Anyway, he makes us those biscuits for special occasions. Yummmmm!!!

10. CraigSPL

Got ribs in the slow cooker at the house......browned them when I went home at lunch and dropped themin the slow cooker covered in bbq sauce to simmer for several hours on low heat.

Craig

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Bubba Burgers on the charcoal (not gas) grill tonight ......

my favorite

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'll have to dry that next time we have ribs - recipe please? :mrgreen:

13. CraigSPL

Recipe?......what recipe?

Don't use one......just make it up as I go.

Craig

14. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I finally went to La Piazza last night!! It was outstanding! we are very lucky to have a place like this around! And NOW I can say, Marco's is no comparison. Not even in the same league. Different atmosphere completely.

I had the tortellacci (unbelievably good), DF had the lasagna (outstanding and TONS of it) and we had the tirmasu (heaven on this earth). We can't wait to go back!

Thanks Li-Bratz for the outstanding service and conversation. Nice to meet you!

:mrgreen:

15. Curious

Curious Well-Known Member

I ate there last week and I won't be going back. Too pricey for lunch. I ordered the lasagna which came with a salad (if you want to call a very small bowl with lettuce, 2 cucumber slices and 2 slices of tomato a salad...certainly not like Ragazzi's big bowl they bring) and iced tea. The server did bring a basket with hard twisted breadsticks and some kinda' of gross oil mixture to dip them in. (They were not your regular breadsticks) The lasagna was on a huge plate and I thought...oh my goodness how am I gonna' eat all of this. Well, it turns out the actual lasagna was in the middle of the huge plate with what looked like tomato sauce surrounding it. The lasagna was not big at all. And, I kid you not, the lasagna was only stacked 2noodles high with a little cheese of some sort between it. I ate part of it, took the rest home, because it just wasn't very good in my opinion. I figured my teenage son could eat the rest. But the kicker was the price. By the time I paid for the lasagna, salad which was included with the lasagna, and the iced tea and left a tip I had almost $15.00 invested in a lunch I did not enjoy! I expect to pay more for dinner but not that kind of price for a lunch that's not exceptional. The place had great atmosphere however. Very nicely decorated. But I for one will not go back.

16. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

KellBell You are welcome. Glad everything was to your liking. Look forward to seeing you both again

17. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

I always thought that La Piazza had a nice look going. It looks really good! But I judge places on their food merits. And I hear that same thing I said in previous posts about their food, from plenty of other people. Atmosphere doesn't make a the joint, good food does. If I want to go to a very nice place, with great atmosphere. Raleigh is going to be my first bet. I love 518 West. Honestly La Piazza... If you were going for a VERY nice romantic atmosphere, I think you should have built it somewhere else. Because the Lowe's Food plaza just doesn't have that certain flare. Work on the food, and work on the small space and i'm sure you could have a wonderful place. Good luck, keep trying.

Note: I did not mention Marco's once in this article. (except for this one line) So don't bring it up. Thanks ^.^

18. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

518 West? Really? That place isn't good. Try Vivace if you want good italian food in Raleigh.

19. tawiii

tawiii Guest

I tried the place on Main Street (name excapes me at the moment) the other night. Crap are they busy!

Solomons in Raleigh, Mini City, is by far my favorite.

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Mulberry on Main

I didn't even know Solomons was an italian joint, they are in the same plaza as another italian restaurant, Casa Lingas. Not too far from my office, maybe I'll have to see if they have lunch specials at Solomons.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008