what was burning on or near cleveland school and lee trace?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ws, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ws

ws Well-Known Member

i saw smoke and heard the fire trucks. i hope everyone is ok.

2. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Looks like it's more over by Matthews Road/Polenta Road/Sonny Road.

Like in the woods way back off Raleigh Road - towards Matthews Road - near the Sod Farm????????/

??????????

Anyone know more.... it is very windy here - not a good time to burn anything.

3. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

My hubby is on that fire call right now. He called and said it was a structure and several acres on fire. Said he didin't now how long they would be there. I think there are 3 fire departments over there.

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

not a good day to have to fight a fire....

RED FLAG WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC352 AM EST SUN FEB 10 2008...RED FLAG CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED ACROSS CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINATODAY....WEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TODAY ALONG AND AHEAD OF A COLD FRONTTHAT WILL SWEEP THROUGH CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA. WIND GUSTS COULDREACH UP TO 40 MPH. AS THE DRY AIR FILTERS INTO THE AREA DURINGTHE DAY... RELATIVE HUMIDITIES WILL DIMINISH TO 15 PERCENT OR LESSBY THE LATE AFTERNOON. THIS WILL DANGEROUS FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS.NCZ007>011-021>028-038>043-073>078-083>086-088-089-110200-/O.CON.KRAH.FW.W.0002.080210T1400Z-080211T0200Z/PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-STANLY-MONTGOMERY-MOORE-LEE-HARNETT-WAYNE-ANSON-RICHMOND-SCOTLAND-HOKE-CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-352 AM EST SUN FEB 10 2008...RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO9 PM EST THIS EVENING...WEST WINDS OF 25 MPH...WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH...ARE EXPECTED BYLATE MORNING AND WILL PERSIST THROUGH THE AFTERNOON...THENSLOWLY DIMINISH THIS EVENING. RELATIVE HUMIDITY VALUES AREEXPECTED TO DIMINISH TO 15 PERCENT OR LESS THIS AFTERNOON. THESEPARAMETERS ALONG WITH EXTREMELY DRY DEAD TREE AND LEAF LITTERWILL CREATE DANGEROUS WILDFIRE CONDITIONS.PEOPLE ACROSS CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA ARE ADVISED NOT TO CONDUCTANY OUTDOOR BURNING TODAY. IF YOU SPOT A GRASS OR BRUSH FIRE INYOUR AREA...CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT IMMEDIATELY AS CONDITIONSTODAY WILL CAUSE ANY FIRES THAT GET STARTED TO BURN OUT OFCONTROL QUICKLY.A RED FLAG WARNING MEANS THAT CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONSARE EITHER OCCURRING NOW...OR WILL SHORTLY. A COMBINATION OFSTRONG WINDS...LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY...AND WARM TEMPERATURES WILLCREATE EXPLOSIVE FIRE GROWTH POTENTIAL.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I have an appt over that way shortly, just heard some roads are closed . :?

GPS might get a workout.

6. michelle

From what DH said I think it's a pretty big fire. I just hope no one was hurt.

7. michelle

Just got off phone with DH. This was started by some IDIOT burning trash today. It is a HUGE fire and it is still not under control. There are at least 6 fire departments there and more on the way. The wind is crazy out there.

Please pray for our firefighters that the wind doesn't bring the fire back on them.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Holy crap!! Why would someone do that?? :evil:

9. dangerboy

they should ticket and fine an idiot like that, especially on a day like today. he should pay the fire departments for their time and energy and resources. idiot.

10. michelle

I've got to go up there and drop daughter off at the command post (she's a cadet with 50-210 rescue squad). I'll let you guys know which roads are closed when I get back. I know for sure that Polenta is closed on the Raleigh Rd. end.

11. dangerboy

this will make a great public service announcement in about 30 seconds...

...done. thanks for the live info, y'all...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  12. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Just came that way ....

Matthews Rd from Polenta towards the sod farm was closed.

Polenta Rd. from Mattews Rd. to McLemore/Raleigh Rd. was closed.

Those were the only roads closed.

There were fire trucks on Matthews and in back of one home at the curve at McLemore/Raleigh Rd. There was a fire truck going up the road on the left just after Polenta.

13. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

Also on White Memorial Church Road

There's also a fire behind White Memorial Church, at least two responders there, probably more now.

I can't believe how stupid people are... I saw a lot of people burning yesterday, with the smoke blowing horizontally across the road, you'd think they'd get a clue....

14. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

A big yellow helicopter is hauling water from 2 local ponds to dump on the fire off Sonny Road.

Scary.

15. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Heard the helicopter fly over and wondered if that is where it was heading. It's pretty windy to be flying!

16. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

It's a big-big one. But there was not a Forestry Service or Fire service logo that I could see.

17. dangerboy

from wptf news: ( i tipped them off, thanks again, y'all...)

12 fire departments have been dispatched, plus multple EMS units. fire has been burning for about 2 hours and it's not clear exactly how big it is. JoCo sherrif recommends avoiding Matthews Rd, Polenta Rd., and Sunny Rd.

18. alen

alen Well-Known Member

19. geekgirlie

geekgirlie Member

He flew right over top of our house on Sommerset Dr. and woke me and my husband up from our Sunday nap. He was getting water out of some watering hole on the sod farm.

20. michelle

Just heard from hubby and the fire is now under control. It took 12 fire departments and the helicopter(s) to get it that way.

Glad no one was hurt but boy do I hope the guy that started it gets a fine at the very least.