Undecided On Dog Breeds

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Feb 11, 2008.

1. poptart4breakfast

poptart4breakfast Well-Known Member

I would recommend a Sheltie. I have had three and they have a wonderful temperment, easily portable (size wise), and very loyal to the family. Their intelligence make them easy to train and housebreak, but beware if you have small children because they do love to run and "herd" them up!

2. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Also when you get a mutt, those undesirable personality traits that some breeds are predisposed to are diminished or absent. For instance they say beagles are escape artists; our beagle mix spent most of her time on her back on the couch, snoring like a man.

3. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Do NOT get a Chow or anything mixed with Chow. They are overprotective and territorial and will readily bite strangers. Chows have blue tongues. If they are mixed they will have blue spots on their tongues. I agree with those advising you to get a mutt. Not only are some of the personality straights diminished, but the health problems too. The more mixed the better.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Heaven knows mine did!! The crazy little thing! They also bark.........A LOT! You can't make them stop. I should have paid attention to that line in a book about Shelties before I got mine. 8)

5. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Harley, you or me gonna reply to this? Ok, I got it...

I love my chow mixes. One is protective and barks but has never made a move to bite, the other will pee if anyone stomps their foot at her. Not pretending to be an expert on the breed, or going to spend my time googling links, but this I know from personal experience: it's largely about how dogs are raised.

Don't make me come over there and smack ya! :)

6. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Granted mine is only 6-8 months but at the shelter he was pushed around by a dachsund and the groomer says he is angelic. I think it has more to do with how they are raised.

7. sus

sus Well-Known Member

I would suggest a Mastiff!! Even tho they are LARGE dogs they are recommended for apartments. They walk 3 feet and its time for a nap. But they are the best snugglers:-D

8. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I had a bad experience with a chow mix. Got it as a puppy and raised myself. I had 2 3 lbs. dogs (full grown) and my brothers dog (who was an elderly 8 lb. dog) I had had them forever, all great natured dogs. I got this chow and raised him just like the others and then one day I found my 2-3lb. babies dead in the yard and witnessed the attack of the chow killing my elderly dog. Needless to say we euthanized that dog right there and then. Thank God, we didn't have children at the time, I could only imagine what that dog would have done to them.

9. peaches

Just saw this in the classifieds:

Categories: Pets & Supplies No
    Photo

Ad Number: 81643
    Date Posted: 02/11/2008
    dunn, nc 28334

Telephone:
    E-Mail: Reply to Ad
    Web Site:

Description
    hey there i have two dogs free to a good home and one cat... i have a puppy we found about three weeks ago.. she looks to be about 10 weeks old she is a jack russell... and another dog which is fixed all shots utd and she is a small dog both of them are i want them to go to loving homes i dont have time for them... they are housebroken...

i also have one cat that is orange he is about 8 months old loving and he is litterbox trained he is also a outdoors cat too.. if you have a loving home for these to go to please let me know...

heather

10. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

To me, my Mini Pincher is the best dog ever! He is so loyal and a big ball of energy. Loves kids and makes a great guard dog...( in his eyes). I also have an American bit bull. Who is a big ole baby!

I took both dogs walking the other day and a stray came running up behind us. My pit started running away, but my mini pincher had every hair on his back raised and started barking and growling like crazy! I had to actually pull him up by his leash so he wouldn't try to attack the stray. I never laughed so had. A 100 pound dog more scared then a 50pound dog!

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

We ended up adopting a Boston terrier mix (we think with basset according to the Vet). We talked to him in detail about Bostons and wanted to know anything they were predisposed to. He mention allergies, tumors, and respiratory issues. Our guy's snout is not pressed inward like a Boston's so we are hoping we are not going to deal with that. As for the others, because he is mixed he may not have to worry so much about them!

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got this one before me. :lol:

Shelby (avatar) is a Chow mix, 16 1/2 years old, has never bitten a flea (because she don't have fleas) nor anyone else for that matter. When she was little and even now, I take her most places with me. Beach, Lake, grocery store, camping, other peoples homes and she has been the BEST dog I've ever had. When I was single, my *command* was "Who is it?" and she'd get riled up and bark at the door, exactly what I wanted her to do. So, someone rings the doorbell and it sounds like she's gonna rip your guts out, but she wont. Now she can't hear the doorbell. :cry: She's only been to the vet once with a *problem* and that's when I found out she has cancer. At 16 1/2 somthings bound to be wrong.

I love my Shelby girl. She gets hair do's twice a year, I shave her so she's not hot and there's less hair in my house. She LOVES the water, since day one when I took her to the beach.
    In my avatar she's at the lake in Atlanta with some friends swimming around like a champ. (2 years ago - @ 14 y.o)
    We put her on the float and they pushed and pulled her for hours, and she just sat there, enjoying every minute of it.

So.... Chows or Chow mixes can be GREAT pets - it all comes down to how you train them.

My hands hurt now. :lol:

13. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

OMG! This pup looked just like my dog, SugarBear, when I was young. He was a good dog and lived to be 15 years old. ChowChow breed is very protective of their master.

14. CakePrincess

Oh dear....it made me cried when I visited www.dogsindanger.com It's not fair for them to go sleep. How sad.

15. CakePrincess

My mom had one. It's a cute dog, but not our type though.

16. CakePrincess

I never have seen this breed before - they looked cute, especially furry whiskers. LOL

17. CakePrincess

What a huge responses here! I wasn't expecting it and boy, you guys are really helpful in making the decision on breed type. We decided that it would be best to go visit the pound and see if we find what we like. I'll let you know when we got the dog - it could be a week or a month, depending on how lucky we find the dog. Thanks for helping! :) :) :)

18. peaches

That's a wonderful plan - you'll find one that touches your heart and you can't resist, whatever the breed. Have fun falling in love!

19. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the male female thing, I have had both..they seem the same to me. I wouldn't trade them for the world.
    I do know or read from a lot of pug owners that the black ones don't shed as much as the fawns. Weird.
    Sheri

20. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Cakeprincess, I found a young rescued Beagle that needs a home!

[​IMG]

Noodles is still a baby at only about 1 yr old and is the sweetest little beagle! He was pulled from Harnett County AS one day before he was scheduled to be euthanized and is doing great in his new foster home. He's soooo affectionate and will curl up on top of you and sleep if you let him. He's very smart and inquisitive and he loves to play with other dogs. His temperament is perfect and he is great with kids, too! He is neutered, UTD on all his shots, HW Negative and on prevention. His adoption fee is just to help cover these costs and is only $75. There will be an application, a home inspection, and vet references will be checked. For more info about this precious little one, call foster mom Christine at 919-521-8538 or email raccemup@yahoo.com

There are still plenty of other dogs that were saved from harnett last week that need loving homes! View them here: http://www.purehomeandbody.com/adopt.htm

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pet/571651728.html