Trixie's Tumor.

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Cleopatra, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Trixie is my son's 2 YO Fancy Rat. I thought Trixie was getting really fat (which she was) but upon further examination, I have discovered that Trixe has a HUGE mass on her underside. According to my research, this is in fact a Tumor and at this point there is not much we can do. Should I get Trixie put to sleep or let her live out her few numbered days? How much might it cost to get Trixie put to sleep?

2. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

Don't really have any advice but just wanted to say I'm sorry for you and your son and Trixie.:-(

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

For me it depends on if the animal is in pain (probably hard to tell). If in pain I would put it to sleep, if not I would use it as a teaching tool for the kids (of course if they are uncomfortable about it, I might tell them that Trixie escaped).

4. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

You may want to take it to the vet and make sure it is not benign-I have read they are prone to those. I know that gets really expensive, though. I inquired about having a rat put to sleep a few years ago and my memory is fuzzy on the exact amount but I am pretty certain it is under $50 and probably not more than $20. Having had a dog with a tumor, I would advise putting the rat to sleep rather than waiting it out. Animals hide their pain, especially animals like rodents that would be picked off by predators or stronger rats. They also only live for a few years anyway. I am sorry for you and your son, they are wonderful pets.

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We had a rat that ended up with the same thing, we let her live out her days... she never seemed to be in pain and was always happy to have her treats and do her tricks. I guess its just how you think she's doing. We got home from work one day, and she had gone to the rainbow bridge at some point during the day. I too had read that they were prone to these, after I discovered it on her. If she had appeared to be in discomfort or pain, I'm sure I would have had her put to sleep.

6. Cleopatra

Hmmm, the rat is not showing any pain or discomfort. Yeah, she is already 2 years old - what is the lifespan of a domesticated rat? 3 years maybe, and that is considered elderly. The tumor does not appear to be benign, in a month it has appeared and is almost the size of a tennis ball.

7. Cleopatra

Thanks Tassy, I read the same thing I guess. Don't know how I missed your post - but this is what we will be doing. She seems happy and content... just HUGE and not very mobile. We bought her some pricey treats and bedding to make her last days more comfortable.

BTW - How long did she hang on?

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Ours was a little over 2 years old I think, and I want to say she hung around for maybe 2 months after we noticed it. It wasn't as big as your Trixie's tumor sounds though. I would have said hers was a little bigger than golf ball, but she wasn't a huge rat either. Ours wasn't a fancy rat.. actually she was supposed to be snake food, but the snake wasn't hungry... and we had to set up a cage for her to keep her until the next feeding, and then we just became fond of her... LOL She actually is the second rat that happened to us with, the first was Ms.Ratty... and she would do great tricks for goldfish crackers! Craig kept her in his office at work and had her spoiled rotten!

9. Cleopatra

This old girl is the size of a kitten! It is difficult to get ahold of her and hold onto her to see the size of the tumor - def bigger than a golf ball. I figure she has a few weeks.

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Poor baby, I'm sorry Cleo.

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Hey Cleo... hows Trixie today?? Whats her favorite treat??

12. Cleopatra

She's OK - she's not eating much, not sure of the name of the treats. She lives in my son's room.

13. KenlyAngel

KenlyAngel Active Member

cleopatra

i had a rat for almost 5 years , 2 months shy from 5 years.
    our family was hysterical when she passed :cry: