Tonight on WRAL

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by ready2cmyKing, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

they are doing a story about pet adoption in NC.

Is pet adoption too tough? Could that be fueling the breeding fire? :?

2. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I would say money fuels it somewhat. I would also think that our instant gratification-driven society is part of it. Why go through a lengthy process of answering prying questions and addressing things you don't want to think through when you can just go out and buy a dog or get one for free from someone who won't bother you with that stuff? And $150 is so expensive for a mutt!:roll:

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I almost adopted a cat from a rescue at Petsmart once, but I found the questionnaire and the lady facilitating the questioning downright insulting. I went to JCAPS and got one for five bucks, no questions asked. I've had two kids since then and nobody has come to my home to check things out or get a reference from my pediatrician before they let me bring THEM home.

4. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Big picture.. if person who wants the dog Is A Responsible pet owner,

the 150.00 is not much. Got to think about vetting of the "free pet" that people get thru ads. And then as far as buying .. Yeah - support those backyard breeders who's dogs end up in the shelter which then leads to the rescues that do all the vetting and have the rehoming fee.

If people do not want to spend 150.00 or 175.00 on a mutt, then IMO those people shouldn't be pet owners because that can be a way of showing that they don't necessarily think vetting is necessary or warranted to an animal.

5. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you, I was being very sarcastic. I just took my two for heartworm tests b/c the shelter I got them from did not offer those. It was pretty expensive and I was just sweating bullets that the tests did not come back positive, both for financial and emotional reasons. $200 for a rescue or shelter pet would be an incredible bargain IMO. I was addressing that particular issue b/c someone was actually complaining about it on Craig's list or some such site.

6. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Alritey Pickle :) I do work with a rescue group

and I do foster dogs ... and the ignorance of some people in this world (including the rehome ads I see on Craigs list) just bring the mean/mad devil out of me. Unfortunately the animals cannot speak for themselves so there are people that have got to do that to the best of their ability.

7. Cleopatra

I agree, the money is not the issue when you look at what you are getting - a pet that has already had shots/been fixed, etc. BUT, is there some reason why perspective owners have to be treated like criminals? Because that is really a turn-off, to you and your cause. Just sayin'.

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Thanks R2CMK, I'll have to DVR it.

9. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I get that, too. I am sure it is just that they see all kinds of horror stories; they don't know that you(hypothetical you not you personally) won't dump the animal b/c it scratches your kid while he is poking it in the eyeball or that you won't want to get rid of your puppy b/c he chewed up your shoes. Maybe someone will read this thread and encourage everyone to hone the interpersonal skills.

10. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure it varies depending on shelter/rescue

group but I don't see where anyone is being treated like criminals. Again, we advocate for the dog (or cat) and with all they have been thru to even end up in the shelter/rescue, then yes by all means the potential adopter should be checked (we have an application & nothing Criminal questionable on it) to assist if the animal is going to a good forever home where the people are committed to have the pet as a part of the family .. not stuck out in a kennel in the back corner of a big yard or on a chain around a tree "where it can be forgotten about".

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yeah, the whole interview and application process is intimidating and frustrating for many, from the prospective family's POV. I understand that the Rescue wants to find the best possible home, and best possible match ... but they are chasing good people away and pushing them towards the 'quick fix' ... which usually means an animal is not getting rescued. Cleo found another rescue organization to go to ... other people would just find an ad for a backyard breeder that doesnt ask questions.

When I'm ready to adopt again (hopefully not for a long, long time) ... I'm going to put in applications and go through the whole process with 5 or 10 rescues/shelters ... go through the whole process .. .before even looking for a dog. So when I find the right one, I've already gone through all of the red tape and I'm already 'on file'. Some organizations will let you do this, some wont.

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I just paid a $200 adoption fee for our Presley and it was well worth it. He was neutered, chipped, UTD on all shots, etc. The neutering alone would have cost me more than he adoption fee.

We actually drove to Greensboro and visited first (and introduced our Lisa-Marie to the pup). Then we did a trial home visit - the organization drove to our home from Greensboro with Pres and had everything he needed with him. They did req an app and did call our Vet for reference. These people were extremely nice. I think its not so much the process but the attitudes of the people carrying out the process. They were extremely particular about who adopted their babies, but you could tell it was because they loved them so much.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  13. Cleopatra

Yes - Interpersonal skills would be good. :)

And yes, I would compare the treatment I received at a Petsmart four years ago to "criminal treatment" so much so, that I basically laughed in her face and walked off.

I get really po'd about the kennels in the back yard, too. The fact they don't even put them near their home, but way out back along their neighbor's poperty line bugs the **** out of me. WHY do you get a pet, stick it in a cage as FAR away from you as possible? Why get a pet? I see this alot, and it never ceases to amaze me. You never see these dogs walked or played with. Then they put up tarps - as some kind of roof. If it's raining, and especially if it is winter how about having a f'ing heart and bringing the animal inside? You think a tarp strung up is going to protect that animal from the elements? Why don't you go sit outside in a chainlink pen, with that haphazard tarp and see how you fare through the storm.

/rant over

14. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Cleo and others who wonder about the "prying" ?'s asked by rescues and some shelters is for specific reasons. All of them are to protect the pet who is up for adoption.

Examples:

Q: Do you own your own home, or rent?

Reason for ?: IF the person who is applying to adopt OWNS their home - then they can allow the pet indoors, construct a fence, doggie door, etc. without worrying about what an owner of a home they are renting might say.

IF however they rent, many times - and that's why the ? came into play - prior to the ? being asked, people would adopt a dog or cat when they were renting, figuring that although "no pets" was on their lease. . .that how would the landlord find out - especially if they rented a house and mailed their rent checks. . .then down the road a repair was needed, or the owner came by due to having trees trimmed, etc and saw the pet and then told the owners it was stipulated in the contract NO pets, and demanded they get rid of the pet. Then, if the owner of the pet doesn't want to move, the pet must be given up. Also, if they are renting, they are usually asked, When you move, will you look for a place that will allow you to bring your pet?

Q: Who is your vet, how many pets do you have - list all within last 5 yrs.

By asking about who their vet was and prior pets. . .well, you would be surprised how many people let their dogs run a neighborhood, never vet them, and they die from being hit by a car, or heartworm disease. . .When vet checks are done (I did them for SPCA when I worked there - many a vets office reported that present pets hadn't been seen in YEARS. . .if you are talking about dogs, this means they are no longer on Heartworm Preventative, and if it is more than 3 years, they might not be up on rabies and other vaccines. People tend to take the same care of a new pet as they do their present ones. If their last three dogs ran away, got hit by cars, or poisoned by their neighbor. . .it is pretty likely that the same thing will happen again. Of course, accidents happen - occasionally a pet can get loose and something terrible might happen, but that is taken into consideration when doing vet checks.

Question : Taking care of a domestic pet can be expensive, are you financially prepared to spend approximately 300.00 per year for medical needs for your pet?

The reason for this ? is because Heartworm tests, preventative, vaccines, wellness exams, bloodwork all cost money and IF someone is not financially able to take on a pet, it is better to let them consider that before they adopt. If you had never owned a pet, you might not be aware of veterinary costs.

Every question is asked because the organization adopting out a pet wants that pet to be in a home where they are allowed to be, and that they will have their medical needs tended to. I can't tell you haw many dogs and cats get dumped in shelters because people either have a landlord that won't let them keep the pet, or they are moving and where they are going, they can't take their pet.

It's not to be nosey, or intended to be intimidating. . .it is simply trying to place that pet in a forever home.

BTW: if anyone has any other ?'s asked that they wonder about the reason for, just type them in, and I'll provide the A if I know it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  15. KenlyAngel

KenlyAngel Active Member

shelters

I have 2 outlooks on this subject and maybe someone can understand or agree with me.
    I dont think pet adoption is to tough. I think its the best thing they do when they ask questions and make you fill out an application to check a person out. they are looking out for the well being of the animals. adoption fees does cover for vet care and getting them fixed etc. you do pay more as if you were taking the animal to the vet yourself for care and getting them fixed. so in the long run you are saving money and most of all your saving a life.
    i read someones quote that 150 is to much to pay for a mutt ( not in their exact words but close enough) so if you had a mutt , you wouldnt give it the vet care he or she needs (shots, getting fixed etc..) if it was in your care?!

my second outlook is that having sponsors for people who cant afford adoption fees is a good idea but alot do not have sponsors and the animals life is on the line because of money, its like saying pay the money or the dogs die and so many do die because of the money issue. there is people out their that wants to adopt but cant afford it and the animals are put to sleep when there is a family out there that is willing to give it a forever home.
    but i also think to myself if they cant afford adoption fees , then how can they provide the care it needs, feed, vets, fixing,etc..? its like a tug of war
    i think shelters should have something for low income families or person (with proof) and have some kind of program for vet care for low income families that wants to adopt and save a life. i see this subject from all angles. ya cant win either way.

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Zoo, I don't have any other ?'s.

I think the process of questions also weeds out what type of animal might be best suited for a person/family.
    I would have NO problem getting grilled with questions that I may not have thought of yet.
    We see so many times on CL or even the 4042 classifieds, "we have to get rid of Fluffy because he's rowdy" or "the cat/dog doesn't get along with our children/other pets" or "we just don't have time for (the pet) anymore" If these people had been grilled in the beginning, maybe they wouldn't be in the situation of having to get rid of their pets.

<stepping off soapbox now>

17. zookeeper

Actually, there is a program that the SPCA of WAKE and a few other shelters and rescues accept. It gives discounts on adoptions to senior citizens, because pets and the care of them have been proven to enhance the life of an elderly person. There are applications to fill out, but it takes about 40% or better off the adoption fee.

As far as low income people - sigh. . .there are two schools of thought and I have belonged to organizations in the past that followed one or the other...

A: Assist low income families with spay/neuter and basic shots on their pet, provide a dog house, trolly, and food and training tips to get them started on the road to good ownership.

or

B: If a family can't afford the low cost spay/neuter services of mobile vets (such as SNAP-NC) to get their pet altered and its basic shots (a cost of under 125.00) then it is very likely that having a pet, in general would prove to be a financial hardship, as heartworm preventative, and yearly vetting costs approximately 250.00 on average. Sure if all is done when the pet is adopted, the first year only will cost the family about 75.00 - 100.00 for heartworm preventative, but what happens the second year? the third year?

Many organizations who follow the A: school of thought have had it come back to bite them in the behind a good 50% of the time. For instance here are just a few of the things I personally encountered:

1) While in the neighborhood, you see the people outside, its been 6 months since your organization helped them do all the necessary things for the puppy and in conversation, they bring you around back to show you how big Fido has gotten. You find Fido on a 8 foot chain, surrounded by poop, no water in his bucket, which BTW is rusty, and dried spaghettios in a dirty old pot, laying in a hole. The dog's toys are freaking beer cans! They announce that Fido is too big to be in the house - wow, soaking wet, this skinny dog MIGHT weigh 40 lbs. . .AND they tell you that he's lonely and cries a lot, so they want to get ANOTHER dog to keep him company, so they'll be calling you to get them all vetted as well.

2) You get a call from a family you assisted about 8 months prior and they say that the dog they adopted before they called you, one they picked out all on their own is 80 lbs and they are going to take it to the shelter to surrender it, if your organization can't find it a home, because a neighbor's dog is a coc-a-poo and it had the cutest puppies 6 weeks ago and they don't want two dogs, so you have to take their original dog within a week, or it goes to the shelter. Oh yeah, and can they get on the list for the spay/neuter/first vet visit deal they got the last time?

3) You get a call from a family that had a pup you personally transported to have neutered, a dog you remember, cause it was so darn cute and sweet. . .it's been over a year, but the dog stuck out in your mind. . .well the dog is sick, it has a bad cough for the past month and it just lays around, and they can't afford a vet. They want you to get the dog vetted. So you do. The dog has stage 3 heartworms. . .they never took it to the vet when the 6 month supply your organization PAID FOR when the pup initially tested negative had run out. . .heck, the dog never saw a vet since you took it for them, and is behind on all of it's shots, including rabies. . .your heart breaks for the dog and you tell the owners that your organization will pay for treatment, but the dog MUST be kept quiet for a good 3 months - and basically live in a crate for the better part of that time. . .and they tell you that they won't crate the dog because it wont fit in any room, how's outside sound? You tell them no- that don't sound too cool and they then say, well can you take him till he gets better and then return him????? And you do. . .and they never even call to see how the dog is doing. . .so you call them about two weeks after the first treatment to say hi and update them and find they got ANOTHER dog and you can just keep that one!

:evil: I could go on, but you get the picture. . .

If you can't afford a dog or cat - then don't get one! Pet ownership is an emotional and financial responsibility - It isn't everyones God given right to own a pet.

Half of the people on these low incomes whom I watched accept assistance had no trouble affording that wide screen TV sitting in their living room, and they had no problems keeping themselves stocked up on beer and cigarettes - people choose where to spend their money, whatever little it might be. While 50% of the people I saw being assisted were good pet owners and they did do everything right by the pet once they were assisted, the other 50% milked the meager assets that smaller non-profits work so hard to collect.

Now, I's stepping off of my soapbox.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  18. le

le Well-Known Member

The only bumper sticker I would ever put on my car!

19. zookeeper

As far as Kenly Angels comment about better to provide a dog with a home, rather than put it to sleep - Well, that depends on the home. Short chain, no water, dried out spaghettio's, beer cans for toys, being very thin. . .sorry, but I believe that quality of life way outweighs quantity of life.

There are much worse things in this world than euthanasia - if you visited a good many of the dogs living on chains, or tiny overgrown kennels, outside in the elements 24/7, 365 days a year, you would most likely agree with me.

20. zookeeper

Wow, cool idea. I*'d actually put one of those on mine too. Hmmmm, let me see about getting some made up. Color choices???