Tonight on WRAL

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by ready2cmyKing, Feb 19, 2008.

1. le

le Well-Known Member

You may print that up in any color under the sun. I would still proudly parade around town with it!

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I can't STAND to see dogs tied up to a tree/fence post/car etc... I'd like to steal them. :twisted: AND tie the owners up to a tree/fence post/car etc.... :twisted::twisted: and see how they like it.

3. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I think the statute of limitations is up, so I'll admit, I did nap a doggie. People had this dog tied up a good 120 feet from their house (the length of my driveway, so I'm pretty sure about the distance) She was so cute and all these weeds grew so high you could barely see her. She had three litters of pups in 2 years - the poor thing was emaciated and heartbroken. . .see these dogs who ran stray would rape her - she was on a chain about 10' long. . .she'd have her pups and the owners wouldn't bother to do anything with them, so when they strayed, she couldn't go after them. One by one, they met their demise. . .very, very sad. I know the people who lived next door to this dog and they kept telling me stuff - they said they had tried to talk with the neighbor, called animal control. . but since there was a dog house and water available and they took the dog to rabies clinic, AC couldn't do anything. . .well the people I knew were moving and the woman I knew was constantly sneaking over (for over a year) feeding the dog, bringing it fresh water, cleaning its area. . .while her neighbors were at work. . .she was really worried as to who was going to care for the poor dog. . .so the day she was moving, the doggie got loose (ok so we helped it get loose) and I gave the doggie a ride to a friend who live FAR away and that became her home. She had to undergo heartworm treatment, but came out fine, fattened up, got spayed, and is living the life right now. . .in a house where she sleeps in bed and is waited on and very much loved.

Ahhhh I love happy endings, and don't feel one bit guilty about napping the dog. However, I refrained from ever driving by after my friend moved - I didn't want to see if they replaced one neglected dog with another. Curious to this day how long it took them to realize the dog wasn't even there.

4. le

le Well-Known Member

That ain't dog napping that is dog saving! I would be willing to wager that those morons sit around looking out their window and think back to the day somebody "stole" their beloved pup. People like that should absolutely be chained, starved, stricken and thrown in the weeds.

5. harleygirl

AND have to live in their own ****.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Zoo, that took a lot of guts. I'm so happy for the dog.

7. KenlyAngel

KenlyAngel Active Member

zoo

i see your point, but thats the main reason why i think shelters are not tough like people say they are as far as applications and questions, even home visits to make sure they are placing the animal in the right home. i think they are doing the right thing with that.

8. KenlyAngel

KenlyAngel Active Member

harleygirl

no, i think your misunderstanding me. thats why they screen people and take applications so that doesnt happen. but sometimes you cant judge a book by its cover and they can get into the wrong hands anyway even though their is a screening before adoption.
    i dont think shelters are tough at all

9. KenlyAngel

KenlyAngel Active Member

zookeeper

that would be an awesome bumper sticker! get to work and when your done i will buy a few from you hehe! :hurray:

10. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

A 5 page application??? Really? I can go to the bank today, fill out a 2 PAGE app and have 100k tomorrow. And how many times do people REALLY adopt an animal only to carry it home to tie it to a tree? I can't remember the last time I saw an animal tied up. Seems to me your process is so burdening it only hurts the animals.

11. le

le Well-Known Member

Make a point to look for a chained dog and you just might be saddened at how many you find.

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Facts.htm

Oh, and may I borrow 100k please?

12. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Oh I agree it's not right at all, just saying I haven't seen it in a long time. Of course I haven't been looking either.

You filled out your 2 page app yet?? :)

13. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Yep I agree, and you could insert "child" for "pet" in everyone of the above situations, because I've found that the same people that treat their pets like this do the same with their children. We are one big mess of a society.

14. harleygirl

Good lord. Not you, not the rescuers, just stupid jackasses in general that do that to their dog.

15. zookeeper

Hmmm, wanna switch neighborhoods? Have three doggies that I can easily see on my street alone that are tied up. There are lots of them, you probably pass some every day, but if you aren't looking, you would never notice. Plus, there are many more, out of sight in peoples back yards - too far out to even serve the purpose of 'watchdog.' Actually, those dogs tied up so far from the house are an invite to breakins. . .it sends the message, 'you won't encounter any dog inside - come on in'.

Oh and before anyone jumps on this comment - these dogs are tied out 365 days a year no matter what the weather - they never go inside - they have a doghouse and a chain - that's it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  16. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not to tick anyone off, but not all dogs who are "chained" to trees, etc are there because the owners are not responsible. I adore my dog. He is a sweet fellow and has a great personality. But, he digs. His Mom was a beagle and before she died she had dug about a zillion escape places under our chain link fence in which we kept her. In fact, it was escaping that killed her. She got hung up trying to escape and we did not know it until it was too late. It is a very large fenced in area and a good fence, but she was a houdini.

Her son is a houdini too. We fixed all the holes Mom dug, but he went through a spell where he was digging more and more holes and getting out. He is an indoor/outdoor dog. Meaning, he is in the house unless he is out to pottie or if the kids go out he wants to be outside too.

When he was digging a new hole before we could fix the old ones good, we had to do something. I mean, he would dig out and roam a little and then come sit on the porch. But, I didn't want to let hom roam, plus, I have a couple of neighbors who would enjoy hurting or even killing a pet of ours just to hurt us and our kids. SO...DH went and bought one of those cable leads and when he digs a hole now, he has to go on the cable (which IS fastened to a tree), until we can fix the hole.

Sometimes it takes us some time to fix the hole properly. We have 4 kids and we stay pretty busy. We also know how to priortize things in life. If taking proper care of my KIDS means that I have to keep my DOG "tied" to a tree sometimes, well, then, the KIDS come first. So, if you drive by and see my dog on a cable fastened to a tree, are you going to just ASSUME that I am a bad pet owner and also ASSUME that I treat my kids bad too. I take offense to anyone assuming such about me just because my dog is "tied" to a tree. (Assumptions...where the heck is Clif when I need him):)

I take care of my dog. He is well fed, has clean water, gets tons of play time and tons of love and affection. We just found out he has early stage heartworms and we are willing to pay the $400 to get him healthy again. He had an abcess on his ear. I took him to the vet and paid to get the meds he needed. I'm giving him a pill 2x a day right now. NO!, I am NOT a bad pet owner, but YES, I DO "tie" my dog to a tree sometimes because there is no other option and it is for his own safety.

According to what I have been reading here, many of you would see my dog on his cable and instantly judge me to be a bad pet owner and a bad Mother.
    If you saw my dog "tied" to a tree and took it upon yourself to ASSUME that he was neglected and then STOLE him, it would absolutely break 6 hearts because he is a part of the family.

Now, because I tell you he is a part of our family, ask me if I "tie" my kids to a tree. NO, I don't. Why is it different? Because they are HUMANS and they don't dig out and run off. Their brain does not function like the canine brain because they are not a DOG. As much as I love my pets, come on, we need to remember, people are people and pets are pets.

I like the way Ceaser Milan tells people not to treat their dog like a person because it is not a person. A dog needs to be treated like he is a dog. He needs to know who his "leader" is. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, that it is a humans' God given (literally) right to be an animals leader. Anything else is going to be out of balance and lead to problems.

Now I am not saying we have the right to be cruel to animals. But when I "tie" my dog to the tree to keep him from escaping and possibly getting hurt, I am not being cruel to him IMO. It seems that many of the opinions here would disagree with me. I know that you are talking of extreme cases of neglect and I know that the one dog that was stolen needed to be rescued. I don't have a problem with that. In fact, I'd have done the same thing. My Mother has done that before as well.

I'm just saying, yes, there are some fols out there who DO neglect their pets. However, lets not just ASSUME that having your dog tied to a tree makes you one of them. And lets not ASSUME that a person who has their dog tied to a tree neglects their kids too. Come on people, a little balance please. Ummmm, what happened to innocent until proven guilty. People will always differ in opinion on what they think constitutes cruelty or neglect. I think the best idea is to be balanced about it, don't go to the estreme of treating the pet like a human, but don't go to the extreme of starving it either.

As for the adoption process. I did the same thing Cleo did. When we decided to get another kitty after our other one died, I didn't want to go and fill out tons of papers and quite frankly, my husband had just lost his job and started a new one and things were tight $ wise. But I have never in my life been without a kitty and I was really missing having one around. I knew the $ situation was only temporary and I knew we were going to take care of any pet we got. But, I didn't have the $150 -$200 to "adopt" a cat. So, I looked in the paper and I found a 4yo cat being given away. She had all shots up to date and had been spayed. It was a perfect fit for us. She is now a happy, nearly 13yo kitty and we adore her. In fact, she usally is in my lap when I am typing on here.

Even though I do know that the shelters have to ask questions, I think at times, SOME (not saying anyone here) of the people asking them have left their common sense AND social skills at home. And I think SOME of them are given a little piece of authority (as in "I get to decide if you are "good enough" to get a pet or if your not), and they then are not mature enough to handle such a position. Not all, but SOME.

I mean, the big picture is to get the animal in a decent home instead of a gas chamber, right?! By some of the standards here and some of the standards at shelters, the fact that I "tie" my dog to a tree at times means that, I should not be allowed to adopt another pet. I mean, a perfectly good dog or cat, could be killed in a shelter rather than come to a nice loving home just because I "tie" my dog to a tree at times. That is absolutely ludicrous and I think it shows that the adoption process is flawed in some ways. It is exactly thinking in extreme measures like that which steals the chance of many animals at a decent (albeit it not "perfect" and "human", but good enough) life with a family. That type of thinking would rather see an animal put to death than to take even a SMALL chance that the animal might just NOT be the "perfect" fit for a family. So what if it's not a perfect fit. At best, it comes back to the shelter (and you get put on a black list so no one allows you to adopt again). At worst, it gets dumped and possibly finds a new home. I mean, it's not going to reproduce because it came out of a shelter and has been fixed. Maybe it does NOT find a good home and ends up dead anyway. But at least it was given a CHANCE.

I agree with Josey, FIVE pages? Good Grief! And also with Cleo. I've had 4 kids, I mean HUMAN CHILDREN, and not once did I have to fill out an application nor did anyone call my pediatrician for references before I brought them home. I think it's getting to a level where some people have gotten things so much out of balance that they place more value on the life and well being of an animal than they do on a human child.

Please understand, I'm not directing this at any one individual on here. I like all you guys very much. Many of you have been very helpful to me at times and I appreciate that and do not wish to offend anyone here. I just could not sit back and let the conversation go on as it was without proposing a different viewpoint.

okay....RANT OFF:oops::mrgreen:

17. zookeeper

Mommy SAID - - those people you mentioned ". . . I think SOME of them are given a little piece of authority (as in "I get to decide if you are "good enough" to get a pet or if your not), and they then are not mature enough to handle such a position. Not all, but SOME.. . ."

Those people are simply following the policy and guidelines set forth by their organization. They don't make the rules, they just follow them. The rules say that they cant adopt out dogs who will LIVE on a chain - PERIOD.

As for the CHAIN comment - if you read my post, I was referring to people who chain their dogs 24/7 365. Not the person who stakes their dog out while they are taking care of household business.

Anyone who chains a dog 24/7 just plain stinks. . .they aren't fit to own a pet, nor are they likely fit to parent a child. No living thing should live on a chain - that's not a life, it's merely an existence.

And sorry, when it comes to God given rights, I disagree - There's a lot of sub-human life walking the planet on two legs these days. . .People who shouldn't be able to own guns, drive cars, work with children, bear their own, nor own a pet. . .just tune into the evening news if you need any reminding.

18. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

Zoo, I wasn't directing my post at any one individul. The above post did get me thinking about how some might feel if driving by my home at the same time everyday and seeing my dog on his lead attached to a tree, would provoke the a similar reaction.

I mean, that dog you see once or maybe at the same time each day, could be mine because he goes out to potty about the same times each day. If one were to see my dog there every day, they might easily assume the above about me.

Not trying to be ugly HG, I'm just saying.... Just because they are on a chain, that's not reason enough to think they are neglected. Now if the dog looks hurt or sick and there are obvious signs of neglect, or if you drive by in a snowstorm.rainstorm and it is chained, THAT is reason to be abgry at the owner.

I know that you work with animals zoo. I don't know exactly what you do, but I would never think you were in the "SOME" people I mentioned. You have always been very kind and helpful on this board as far as I know. I'm glad you are here to help.

I know the "SOME" people are following a policy. I understand it is not their rule. That brings me to two thoughts. One, maybe the policy needs to be tweaked some and two, whether it is their rule or the shelters rule, there is absolutely NO need for them to behave in the way some of them do. I have experienced this more than once and I've watched other people experience it too. It seems to be a common complaint that the public has about many shelters. Like someone said before, this drives good people away and it does not help the cause, but rather, harms it.

See, like the no chain policy. Am I correct in assuming that if I had adopted my present dog from a shelter with a no chain policy, and a shelter employee saw my dog out on his potty break on his lead or out on his lead watching over the kids, the shelter could demand I give him up and if no one adopted him, he could be killed? If so, I think that it a flawed policy.

And, am I correct in assuming that if I went to a shelter today and wanted to adopt and when they aske if we chain our current dog and I explained the situation that we only do when he has a hole we have not had a chance to fix, that they would frown on this and possibly refuse to allow me to adopt, resulting in one more animal being put to death rather than finding a great life in my home? If so, that is wrong IMO.

I know you were referring to a dog chained 24/7 in your earlier post. But I think that some frown on a dog being on a chain for ANY reason. I hate to see one chained 24/7 or stuck in a permanent kennel WAY out back and ignored too. But I'm just saying I don't think it should be assumed a dog is neglected if you see it in a kennel or on a lead. Perhaps the dog in the kennel is there in the day. Perhaps the kenel is far away from the house for a good reason, (can't put it over septic, dog barks alot, don't want dog poop smell too close to house, etc...) Perhaps the dog is only in the kennel while owner works and it comes in at night.

Yes, there are some situations where that is not the case and the pet owner is just being an idiot. But that is not ALWAYS the case and I just wouldn't want someone to judge me a bad pet owner or parent without all the facts.

I do agree with the consensus on this thread that there are some people who just don't deserve to own an animal. There are some who shouldn't be parents either, but we don't get to take that right from them unless they break the law. As for every person having a right to own and animal, well, again, I agree that many do not deserve to, but, the law of the land says that they most certianly DO have that right until they break the law. And even then...well....you have to wonder if Vick will ever be allowed to own any kind of animal again???

I was more specifically referring to how God gave man domain over all the creatures of the earth. We are (supposed to be ) superior beings on this planet. We were given "charge" over all other beings here. We were also told to care for them. I agree that many fail at the caring part, but that does not change the fact that humans were given charge over all other creatures here. I don't take that to mean it is okay to allow animal abuse. I am just saying that we should remember that WE are to be the leaders over the animals and remember that they are not the same as a human.

(Yeah, Yeah, I know, I know a whole lot of people who fall WAY below my dog's intelligence too. But, sometimes, we just can't fix stupid:lol: )

Now...Don't you steal my dog Harley :lol:

19. zookeeper

NO - you are not correct. The only way a shelter can demand you surrender a pet you adopt from them is if it was a shelter that allowed pets to be adopted before they were altered with the stipulation in the adoption contract that if this surgery was not done within a certain period (usually 30 days) then they had the right to confiscate that animal. The only other way your pet can be confiscated is if Animal Control deems that you have done something to put that animals life in immediate danger, and then they take the animal to a county shelter until a judge decides it's disposition after the owner goes before him and pleads their side of the case.

NO - wrong assumption.
    Most applications ask a ? like "Will your new pet live primarily inside or outside?" Days___ Nights____ and Do you have a fenced yard?____If not, how will you confine your pet when outside?

Many people have their dogs outside in kennels or fenced yards all day while they are at work, and they come inside at night when the family is home. There is nothing wrong with this provided the dog have access to shelter - like a dog house, or a dog door to get into a garage - etc should weather turn bad and to stay out of the sun in hot weather. A good many people can not for one reason or another construct a fence. . .shelters are not against a dog being placed on a chain or a trolley, but not for 12 hrs a day - many a dog has been attacked while on a chain by stray dogs - on a chain they cant very well defend themselves. .They also want to make certain the potential adopter isn't going to say, they will teach the dog to stick around the house when they are gone. . .there are leash laws and the organization adopting out the dog needs to make certain the new adopters are aware of it and that the dog will be safe from getting hit by a car or hurt by someone whose yard it may trespass on.

In addition, there are some breeds, like Greyhounds, Pomeranians, and some other delicate breeds that simply can not be left outside in very cold weather for long periods at a time.

Yes, people may have a legal right to possess an animal, however, an organization reserves the right to refuse adoption of their animals to any individual for any reason. . .just like many other businesses.

Genesis 1:26. . .many an interpretation has arisen from bible verses. . .the use of plural and singular terms, what a word here and there means in Hebrew. . .if you want to take it literally, then we all have the God given right to own a shark, or a polar bear, or even an eagle - now would that be safe, or practical for every human being? Would it be humane, or just for one of these creatures? God spoke of all creatures, he mentioned the creatures in the sea, the fowl in the air, the cattle, and everything that creeps (this isn't verbatum). While I can't tell you exactly what God intended, I personally consider dogs, cats and other domestic critters more like his gifts to us, rather than life forms for us to rule over.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  20. zookeeper

:iagree:
    I have never been back-stabbed by a dog.

A dog has never lied to me.

My dogs have never judged me for the money I make, the home I live in, the car I drive, the tattoos on my body, nor the music I listen to.

My dogs don't roll their eyes or get embarrassed when I run the trash can out in my pajamas, nor do they make fun of the neighbors when they do so.

My dogs comfort me when I'm sad, or lonely. Hold a bunch of tears when things get tough. They'll go out of their way to make me smile and sit by my side if I sit up watching TV or peck on the computer keyboard. They don't complain when I get home late.

In my humble opinion, they possess qualities that most humans could strive for every day of their lives, yet precious few will ever achieve. This, is why I choose to work with, as well as live among a pack of dogs.