Animal Adoptions?

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by raccemup, Feb 24, 2008.

1. raccemup

raccemup Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!
    I do rescue and have some pets up for adoption. I was wondering if I am allowed to post that sort of thing here?
    Thanks!
    Christine

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As long as you are not profiting and it is for a good cause, which this is, I would say it is OK.

3. raccemup

Thanks! No, definitely not profiting. Vet bills are outrageous and the adoption fee only covers a small portion. :)

Well, here goes... If this is against the TOS, the mods will delete I guess.

The following animals were all saved from a high kill shelter (Harnett County) and are looking for forever, loving homes!

Mickey - is a gorgeous and gentle male black lab mix. He is tall and elegant and probably weighs about 65 lbs. He is extremely sweet and laid back and would be a wonderful companion for anyone. He is also good with other dogs and plays well. He's the perfect package! Please call or email foster mom Lorah at 919-741-2566 - Lorah@AfterglowFV.com.

[​IMG]

Chestnut - is a still very much a puppy and is very active. He's probably about 5 months old and weighs about 25 lbs. He could be a boxer mix but is probably just your basic lovable mutt. He does well with other dogs and is very sweet and well behaved when he isn't too busy running around playing with his friends. Please call or email foster mom Lorah at 919-741-2566 - Lorah@AfterglowFV.com.

[​IMG]

14 week old Puppies - Lab Mixes. There is only 1 left!!! They are a bundle of joy and love laying in your lap and following you around EVERYWHERE. Please call foster mom Melena at 919-995-9203.

[​IMG]

Chewy - is a single puppy that was born to Chloe (Pomeranian Mix) on 2/3/08, 5 days after she was pulled out of the shelter. He appears to be a chocolate lab mix. He is already quite large (4 lbs at 3 weeks) so it seems that he will be a medium/large dog when he is grown up. He will be ready for adoption after he has had his shots and is weaned at 8 weeks of age (3/30/08). His adoption fee is $75.00 to help cover his medical expenses. For more info, please call or email foster mom Christine at 919-521-8538 - raccemup@yahoo.com.

[​IMG]

Solomon is a large happy orange tabby. He gets along with dogs and cats. He is older but still manages to play around with the other cats. Please call foster mom Melena at 919-995-9203.

[​IMG]

Thanks! If you know anyone who would love one of these precious babies, pass it along!

4. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Have these dogs been tested for Heartworm Disease and Negative?

Have they been Spayed or Neutered?

What shots have each one received?

Have they been de-wormed?

Are either of the two older pups housebroken?

Do you require spay/neuter of pets if you do not already have them altered?

The proper place for these is in the CLASSIFIED section.

While I wish you all the luck in the world adopting these pups out, there are dozens every week whose lives are in jeopardy right here in Johnston County. No ill-meaning intended, but you ARE on a Johnston County website.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=573&content_id=2414

These dogs have will have rabies vaccinations and microchips before they leave - fee is 65.00 - 50.00 of it is returned to the adopter AFTER they show proof of spay/neuter surgery - which is required within a month. So the adoption fee is actually 15.00. These dogs live in cages and are in a kill shelter.

5. raccemup

Of course there are animals in Johnston County that need homes as well but what is the harm in trying to save these pets, too? We are only 20 minutes away, afterall. I didn't know that ONLY JC residents are allowed on here. What are you the rescue police? Not that I have to answer to you but I personally do rescue on a professional level and have worked as a foster home for a long time. My animals (the ones I am personally fostering) are all fixed before they are placed, have all their shots, are HW neg (one I actually had treated for HW disease), on prevention, and dewormed and yes, that all comes out of my pocket. The other two foster parents pulled those animals themselves and are taking care of them and I can't speak for them. I know they have had all their shots and will be fixed before they are placed. I'm just trying to help them get their animals adopted out, also. The more exposure, the better for the animals.

I looked at the classifieds and all those animals are for SALE. These animals are for adoption, there is a big difference.

Geesh! you try to do some good in this world and this is the treatment you get. nice!

6. CrayolaBlue

CrayolaBlue Guest

I totally agree. Who are you, the forum police?
    What harm does this person have for posting on here?:confused:

In my opinion, you sound quite bitter?
    This person is trying to save dogs, who cares if the dogs are located in the next county?

Enlighten me please on the horrible injustice this person did by posting these dogs here?

I say to the poster, ignore that person and keep posting.

Thank you for all that you do, you are greatly appreciated.

I don't know, and this is just a question, could the person who is angry be a breeder and gets mad that their is competition for their dogs?

Again, just a question, not an accusation. Just trying to figure out the bitterness in that persons post

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Please note that Zoo has over 1800 posts to this forum and is a respected, LONG TIME contributor. She does a LOT of animal rescue work and she has raised legitimate questions that were not originally answered. No, there's nothing "wrong" with you posting rescues in my opinion, I think she just wants to make sure they are truly rescues.

8. raccemup

Thanks, I appreciate your encouragement.

Actually, (and I could be WAY off base here) my take is that Zoo is someone probably does or has done rescue. Having seen other posts by Zoo, my guess is that he/she is VERY responsible and sincerely advocates proper rehoming, spaying/neutering, and responsible ownership. All that I applaud and the world needs more of that! And yes, he/she is probably very bitter because rescuing animals pretty much makes you that way. It can literally make you hate PEOPLE! It's SO exhausting emotionally that the littlest thing sets you off (as example, my post above. I am normally not that defensive but feel very drained and sensitive at this moment due to my recent rescue operations). Someone like Zoo has the best interest of the animals at heart and would rather see responsible rehoming than no rehoming at all. I totally get that. Others would rather just see a life saved and are willing to overlook certain things to make that happen. I think I'm somewhere in between but am VERY responsible with my fosters (yes, I will make you fill out a 3 page application, call your vet, and inspect your home, lol). I don't agree with what some rescuers do (or don't do) but I get that there are folks out there that just want to save an animal's life and aren't as stringent as some would like them to be.

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I wish we could rescue them all. :( Unfortunately until people all SPAY AND NEUTER their pets, we will continue to have the pet overpopulation we have now EVERYWHERE...not just in Johnston County.

10. raccemup

I couldn't agree more!

For the record, I would NEVER adopt out a pet that wasn't fixed unless it wasn't old enough to be. Actually, I am having that dilemma now. If I could, I'd keep Chewy for 6 months and make sure he's fixed before he's adopted. I'm not sure how else to make sure he is neutered aside from stalking his new dog-parents. I may have to have Zoo help me with that one. ;)

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

What if you were to charge an extra $100 or $200 in his case, that would be refunded to the adoptive parents as soon as they provide proof (ie: vets bill) that he has been neutered when he is of age??

12. raccemup

Hmmm.... That's actually a GREAT idea! THANKS!!!

Keep 'em coming folks!

13. raccemup

Again, I totally appreciate where Zoo is coming from! But there's a difference in someone asking questions because they are interested in an animal and asking questions just to "drill" another rescuer on their practices for the sake of proving a point. In this case, it just wasn't appropriate or necessary and was done in a way that put me on the defense. It's not anyone else's job to police what other rescuers do, IMO. We're all supposed to be on the same team afterall.

14. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

First of all Crayola, Zoo knows what she is doing with respect to rescue and is NOT a breeder. :lol::lol:

Why wait 6 months to neuter? There are vets in the area that will do juvenile neuters for rescue pets and I have had them neutered as young as three months... as soon as their boy part descend.

Call around and explain your delima, I bet you can find a vet to do it younger if you explain why. (we do kittens at 2 pounds!!!) It is not the optimal situation for all animals, but for rescues, I would not let one leave my possession unaltered.

Just me two cents!

15. raccemup

Thanks, based on the research I have done, most vets recommend neutering at 6 months, hence why I thought that. If it can be done earlier, great! I have rescued many an adult dog before but puppy-dom is new territory for me. He was part of a "two-for-one" deal when I rescued his mommy.
    :mrgreen:

16. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

For a 'pet' that is what is recommended, but it is not always possible for rescues. Try Ansede animal hospital, he has done some for me in the past. Also tell them you do rescue, some will give discounts. PM me if you have any trouble, I have others that I use, but dont feel comfortable posting it here, I hate to have them put into a bind....

17. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Race, with all due respect, you didn't list anything regarding the health of the pups, nor what you intended adopters do with them.

As others have stated, I have been around a long time, and many know how much rescue/foster/and shelter work I have done along with dog training. I have dedicated 3 decades of my life (literally) to working for the humane treatment of animals and responsible pet ownership. . .even when it wasn't "the popular thing to do"

By looking at your original post, it appeared that you pulled dogs from a shelter to extend their time, and found a couple people to foster them until you found new owners - while that in itself is something that should be commended, I asked about their health, and what would be done - or you expected to be done, because if you simply found homes for these dogs and they weren't altered, they would just go on contributing to the serious animal over-population problem that plaques our towns, counties, state and nation.

I highly recommend pediatric spay/neuter. Waiting till a dog is 6 months old is OLD SCHOOL. I have seen pups as small as three pounds breeze through the surgery. They heal faster and they never get into habits dogs get into (marking, for one) when hormones start to kick in (at about 5 months of age - generally) With females, can't tell you how many times they manage to go into heat right at that 6 month marker. . .just when you are a week from having them spayed. . .that's no picnic. SNAP-NC.org and Carolina Mobile BOTH perform pediatric spay/neuter Dr. Ansede will as well. The vet from Carolina Mobile, Dr. Flood, was the staff vet at SPCA Wake when I worked there as an adoption counselor. She has done probably over a thousand pediatric spay/neuter surgeries and Dr. Bartfield from SNAP is probably pretty close to that.

Recently people have gotten on the bandwagon rushing to shelters in the counties surrounding ours, pulling dogs - some of them post here, others have been referred and have phoned me, freaked out because the dogs are sick - distemper. . .heartworms. . .mange. . .ringworm. . .it is costing them BIG BUCKS and it is money they didn't plan on having to spend. They will NEVER recoup these funds and it is causeing financial strain on them as well as emotional distress.

I asked the questions, because you didn't provide the info.

The post, in general is in the "gray area" of posting guidelines. . .dogs or anything with a cost related is considered advertising and the webbie might pull the thread. . .these type of posts are 99 times out of 100 directed to the classified section of this board - so I mentioned that.

Good luck - sincerely.

When I type stuff out and explain something in detail, people like Space Cowboy have a freaking field day and gripe about novels. . .when I limit myself in words, people take it as bitter. Can't freaking win around here.

As for you CRAYOLA BLUE - BITE ME!

18. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Christine

Keep up the good work and I know you mean well. Don't bother me where the dogs,cats and birds come from as long as they can find a wonderful forever home. Wish I could do more and help foster..but I know better when I'm not home enough to take on another puppy or kitten. Keep posting and good luck. I also enjoy hearing when they get that forever home as well.
    Sheri

19. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

Zoo, don't let the "novel" comment from SC bug you. I kinda thought he was just picking at you. Anyway, as long as what you say is worth reading (and in my experience with you, it has been...but even if it wasn't, it IS a discussion board and you can post away ;) ) anyway.... don't worry about how many words it takes to get your point accross. If someone is interested in the topic, they probably won't really mind a long post. I don't. And I have found you to be quite easy to converse with, even when having slightly differing opinions. I'm glad to hear what a person who does so much for the animals has to say. Keep it up!

20. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

The group for which I do cat foster, tried this method for a while with the kittens we adopted out. Sometimes it worked, but more often we had to repeatedly follow-up, nag, schedule and reschedule and the kitten still would not be spayed/neutered. And as our volume of adoptions grew, we gave up that practice. Now we S/N all animals before they are adopted out. Kittens are S/N when after they reach 10 weeks and > 2 pounds (usually closer to 3 pounds). The web page Early (Pediatric) Spay/Neuter, has a list of organizations supporting early S/N plus several links for more information.