Tonight on WRAL

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by ready2cmyKing, Feb 19, 2008.

1. KenlyAngel

KenlyAngel Active Member

Zookeeper

i think you bring your point across very well after reading all your comments, i like the way you tell it in detail and you also take the time out to do so!;)

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

We had to fix my mom's fence because she has a little escape artist. Around the bottom, we dug (it took forever) and placed wire that makes it impossible for the lil' brat to did. I can call him a brat because she refers to him as my brother! We also had to re-seed around the fence so it would be covered with grass. This is all for a little guy who spends a total of 1...maybe 1 1/2 hours per day (added together) outside. I understand some of these little ones can be quite talented!

I actually prefer the company of animals to people. I agree that mine have always been there to love me unconditionally...even when I have to take them to the Vet for shots and even when I accidentally step on a paw! They always forgive and come back for love!

3. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Well that's one way to kill a thread - write a book :mrgreen:

4. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

900-some odd words to explain how an adoption system works, so that people can better understand reasons for questions that they'd been asked and found offensive. I guess you're the captain of the length police, since the spelling and grammar jobs are all taken?

Excuse me for providing complete answers. When you come upon my long posts, just look in whatever direction you normally do when you pass by that dog who has become a monument in somebody's yard.:p

5. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Just saying, I'm sure most people skipped right past your lecture due to its length, just like I did.

In regards to your novels, that's exactly what I'll do. In regards to the dogs tied up, I'll keep an eye out for them. I'm interested in seeing how exaggerated your opinion is on this.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

SC - you wanna ride with me through some neighborhoods? I'm not in the nicest communities sometimes, it would truly break your heart.

7. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree that God gave us some animals as gifts. Don't get me wrong. I have shed many a tear over the pets I have lost in the past.

Here are some of the scriptures I was referring to:

(Genesis 1:26-28
    "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

also: (1Cor. 15:39)
    All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

and: (James 3:7)
    For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:

Thank you Zoo, for explaining better to me how the system works. It does make me feel better to know more details on how they treat the "chain" issue. I'd hate to see a dog lose a chance at a good life over something like that. And, of course, I would be very upset if I saw that a dog was being left out on the elements with no shelter etc.

Yes, I like my dog much better than a few people I've known too.:lol: I just get frustrated when people elevate their pet to the status of a human. I think it's unhealthy for the person and the pet. I do agree that pets have some qualities that humans do not. We are made different. Let's face it, the human race is hopelessly flawed. The only hope we have is in Christ. Dogs don't sin, they just misbehave (like digging:twisted: )

Enjoyed discussing this topic with you. Thanks for responding:)

p.s. you offered to trade neighbors with SC. I'll be happy to have your neighbors move in next to me anyday. I'd not like it if they abused their pets, but nothing can top my neighbors.:shock::evil::cuss::roll: That's another story though.

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Uh oh...guess my 4-legged babies and I are extremely unhealthy...oh well...it'll be alright.

9. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of questions:
    1. What do they look for when they do a home check? If I'm not a great housekeeper, would I get rejected? Exactly what would get me rejected?

2. What do they ask the vet when they call? Is it just, does he/she bring their pet there, or more elaborate?

10. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I'll PM you, so SC doesn't get his undies in a wad:roll:

11. raccemup

raccemup Well-Known Member

I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes...

First off, let me start by saying that I do rescue both independently and for larger, established rescue groups. The application process is intended to screen prospective adopters and make the best possible matches for the pets (obviously). How else can a good home be determined without this process? It's not to invade privacy or make people feel like a criminal (or at least it shouldn't be). It's supposed to be about the animals and what's best for them.

However, I do think that there are certainly rescue groups out there that treat prospective adopters pretty poorly and "look down their noses" at them and are just full of their own cr@p. I'm talking about the real stuck up, condescending, no one is good enough for THEIR animals "adoption nazis." They are definitely out there and they lose sight of why they are doing what they do in the first place. It seems to be all about their ego and some are so picky, they will disqualify people over what food they will feed or if someone works (who doesn't?). What's sad is, that not every group is like that and it gives the rest of us a bad name and deters qualified adopters from rescue groups in general. It's just not a "one size fits all" kind of thing. What might be an ideal home for one animal would not be good for another and every case should be looked at individually.

It's this reason that people need to find a rescue group they are compatable with and are comfortable with. Not everyone will be happy working with every rescue group. Heck I do rescue myself and there are certain groups I would NEVER want to work with. So please, don't lump all rescues in together! Remember that the work all rescuers do is invaluable and we need support from people to save the animals and that's what it's about in the end.

I know I can speak for myself when I say I try my best to treat people with respect and understanding and NEVER make anyone feel like they aren't good enough or that they are being judged. I really go out of my way to make people feel as comfortable with the process as possible. I've had some VERY successful adoptions recently because I matched the perfect people with THEIR perfect pets. The adopters really enjoyed working with me and vice versa. As a rescuer, it doesn't get better than that!

12. KenlyAngel

KenlyAngel Active Member

raccemup

"sitting in the corner with my :popcorn:"

13. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

No flaming from me. I think your post was very well stated. It made me think twice about not assuming ALL rescue groups are "difficult" intentionally. I think you are right...you know the saying... - one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. Good to be reminded there are some really decent and caring folks out there. I appreciate the dedication you and zoo and others have to our furry friends.

:hurray: