The right thing to do...

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by rushlow2004, Feb 28, 2008.

1. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

First off this is not about me..
    If you had a cat that just started to come up to the house 6 months ago..and you had cat food out side. You keep putting food out for the cat. At first that cat was really scared and then as the months went on he would come out when he knew you were going to feed it. Making progres you think. Well as of last couple of weeks, the cat started to get really aggressive and then finall attacked the feeder when he would put the food out, hand swells up and gets a infection. What would you do in a situation like this?
    What he did was call johnson County and they brought a trap to catch him in cause at this point he is dangerous to others. Very big cat mind you. Cat was trapped last night. If that cat can be put in a home then it will be, if not it will be put down. I have seen this cat and I have been around this cat and it is very big and very mean..never seen nothing like it. Even though I think it was the right thing to do, it still broke my heart to trap it. I made the person put the cat in the garage till it gets picked up this morning cause it was going to be so cold out. I think they were upset as well.
    This is the third cat that has come up to the house, the first two are in forever homes, one they took to the vet and had her fixed and up to date on shots, but she now lives at the neighbors house and comes to visit from time to time..the other one is at another neighbors house and they did the same up date shots ect. After this experience, not sure if they will cont. to keep food outside for stray cats, only 3 in a couple of years so it's not like they have alot of them. I was just wondering others thoughts on this.
    Sheri

2. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I don't see what other choice he had but to call and have it trapped, besides shoot it himself. Glad he didn't do that.

He also needs to have that hand looked at pronto. I almost lost my thumb a few years ago from a cat bite. Their teeth are so sharp and small, the doctor said it's like an injection of bacteria. I ended up having surgery on it, and I still can't bend it all the way.

Just some advice from "been there, done that."

3. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

yeah, he said after it happend that he needed the "22", of course he wouldn't have done that, but he was mad just the same. They called this morning and said that they are on their way to come and pick him up, he is still in the garage covered with a blanket so he isn't cold or not as cold if he was outside.
    His hand is fine, he had that happend before so he knew that he needed to get on meds for it. He has two teeth marks from the bite.
    Years ago one of his own cats, got in a fight and he got in the middle of it and got tore up, leason learned not to get in the middle of a cat fight lol. His had was so swelled up you couldn't see his knuckles.
    Sheri

4. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

The cat definitely needs to be tested for diseases. We had to do this in our old home when our neighbors cat attached my 5 yo who was outside playing. Of course the neighbors did not have the cat in vet care, so we had to call the Sheriff and get the animal quarantined, etc. and then the owners had to get it's shots, etc. in order to be able to get it back.

5. peaches

Oh my goodness. Attacked your 5 year old? Someone would be paying dearly for that. :evil:

6. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

The cat bit her on the inside of her upper arm. It scared the crap out of them and taught them a lesson on being a responsible pet owner. My daughter was fine and that's all that mattered to me.

7. peaches

That's good, and good of you for looking at it that way. Just as long as your little one was ok.

8. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

Rush...that cat sounds like Garfield on steroids:shock:
    I don't see how your friend had any other option. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. That's just too bad. Sounds like the cat might be sick or something.

9. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Actually, they won't immediately "test the cat for disease" Any animal that there is no proof of rabies vaccinations being up-to-date on, is held in quarantine by Animal Control for 10 days to watch for signs of rabies. (If you own an animal and it has had rabies vaccines and you have proof of it, it depends on your jurisdiction on whether you may keep that animal contained for the 10 days, or if you must turn it over to AC and the animal stays at the shelter for the 10 days - at YOUR expense0you have to pay for daily boarding. If no signs of rabies occur, you get your pet back. In un-owned animals, they are 99% of the time put down. If the animal is uncontrollable (dangerous) and considered a risk to kennel staff, they are put down immediately and their heads removed, put on ice and sent to a lab for rabies testing.

A bite or a scratch from a cat can pass rabies to others. . .so in this case, trapping it was the only thing to do. There are so many germs in a cat's mouth - even if the cat is disease free - one heck of an infection can easily set in. Anyone bitten by a cat where the skin is broken - should see their doctor and get on antibiotics - even if it's your own pet.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Zoo is right, I was sweating bullets when one of mine bit the daylights out of my mom's husband at Thanksgiving. I told him he needed to go to the doc, that we would even pay, but the stubborn man wouldn't go. He's just lucky, because she bit him down to the bone, I would have gone straight to the doctor. It was his fault by the way, you don't keep holding a hissing cat, especially after we told him not to pick her up in the first place. :?

11. peaches

I've been sent to the dr twice in the past 10 years for a bad cat bite, both my own cats. First one I tried to give a bath. Yep, real smart. Then I picked another one up just as he was about to attack a neighbor cat right in front of them. Again, duh.

12. MommySAIDno

Respect the animal OR pay the price.

That's what I have taught my kids. Better not taunt kitty. If you do and you get smacked, don't whine to me about it (then you risk a spanking for taunting on top of the scratch). I've taught them this from the time all 4 of them were old enough to reach out and grab kitty or doggie. Good grief, if my kids understood it at 2yo, your Mom's husband should have known better too.:evil: For some reason, the word "idiot" comes to mind.

13. MommySAIDno

:shock: OH MY!

Didn't know that. Nothing wrong with it, just shocked me - visualizing it.

14. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Believe me, the first time I heard about it I was shocked as well.

Rabies can be detected in brain tissue - thus the head - It is much more practical to pack and transport the head of an animal, rather than it's whole body.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL, well, that's a story for another day! Anyway, it wasn't truly ALL his fault. They had gone outside for a minute, and this cat LOVES to sneak out the door, and she is QUICK! But she doesn't go anywhere, she just flops down on the sidewalk and rolls around. I guess he thought she was going to run away, so he makes a grab for her, my Mom tells him to put her down, but by this time she had latched onto his thumb and he couldn't put her down, he had the proverbial tiger by the tail. Now, I wasn't at home at the time, or it wouldn't have happened at all. He doesn't know much about cats, but now he knows better than to just grab this one!

This cat does NOT like to be handled unless it is her idea, she's always been that way, got her as a teeny kitten, not abused or been mean to in any way, it's just her personality. Why people don't listen when you tell them NOT to pick up a cat is beyond me. One of DH's friends picked her up................once. He put her down a whole lot faster than he picked her up, he didn't get bit, but he's never tried it again. The vet has a time with her too, and they are professionals at it. Next time she goes in, they are talking about sedating her, you have never heard the amount of growling she does! I just LOVE brushing her, let me tell ya! :mrgreen:

16. raccemup

raccemup Well-Known Member

this is just my opinion but I think given the circumstances, the right thing to do is what was done. I'm pretty sure this cat is feral and hence the human aggression. That cat, will produce hundreds more feral cats if not neutered ASAP. Yes, the cat will probably be put the sleep but hundreds of cats will be saved from a lifetime of suffering in the future. The only other option is a trap/neuter/return situation but this little bugger is out to get someone and could hurt someone someday. They can consider the T/N/R situation but they will have to be commited to providing it food and water, etc.

Im really sorry this happened to them, I know it really makes them feel crummy but they did do the right thing in this particular circumstance.

17. MommySAIDno

kdc my girl cat is like that too. She is in my lap right now (loves a lap) and I can pick her up and love on her for short periods of time, but she wants it to be HER idea. She hates to have her stomach touched. I got her when she was 4yo from a girl whose fiance said he was allergic:? Went to meet her the first night. The girl TOLD me she didn't like her tummy touched. I, acting like an idiot, still touched her tummy. Guess I heard that she didn't like her tummy tickled. I quickly found out she said TOUCHED.

Kitty latched down on my hand with all 4 claws and teeth. Wouldn't let go. But I wanted a kitty so bad since mine had died recently and I knew it was my fault so I endured. I did not try to pull back thankfully, but she didn't loosen up either. THe girl tried to get her to let go. Nope, she dug in. I was literally pouring beads of sweat.

Finally, she let go and I checked my wounds. She drew blood but it could have been worse. I didn't care. Took her home that night. Still feel sorry for the girl who let her go. But she has been a happy and healthy kitty here for 8 years now. Best kitty I've ever had.She is the boss though. The dog who is 45lbs even gives her a WIDE birth when he walks by her.

I've never touched her tummy since:mrgreen:

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yeah, you just gotta love their personality quirks!! :? My husband said the poor guy was just pouring blood. That was actually probably a good thing, washed the wound out I would imagine. Our other cat is super tolerant of anything, including strangers, but nope, can't touch her belly either. She won't lay you out, but she will get away from you and make you think twice about doing it again!

19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I have that same dilemma here at my office.. we have feral cats in our yard and warehouse, we're right next to an old landfill.. its always been a problem. Best we can do is trap them and turn them over to Wake County Animal Shelter. Its the hardest thing I have to do somedays is to take those scared babies up there. I know if we can catch the kittens young enough, they have a good chance of being adopted out. On the other hand, I know that the 1 yr old and older ones... they are just so mean, hissin' and spittin' and cryin'... Wake Animal Shelter on Corporation says they (and I) understand they are feral, and they put them in a seperate room, give them a few days to see if they will become friendly and calm down. Most of the time they don't, I used to get their ID# and call to check on them, but it was just too heartbreaking to hear about the ones that got put to sleep. To be left out there in my warehouse though, they are just constantly populating. The company behind me feeds them at the back fence, and they definitely control the rodent population...but still.. I just hate knowing I have to make those trips somedays. A couple of times a year we get on the putting out the traps kick, and about 2 years ago we turned over almost 20 cats to Wake County Animal Shelter. The real kicker is, we can't catch the momma and the big tomcat. They are too smart to get in the traps, they reach through the back of the trap and paw the food off the metal plate.

20. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Some people are really cat dumb and don't know when they're clearly saying, "LEAVE ME ALONE!" -- like this woman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ynz2Vvz9xo Yeah, "this little guy is having fun" alright! :lol: I do feel bad for her, but hopefully she learned a lesson about cats!